Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Facial hair after surgery -go away?

Question: Anyone else suffering with facial hair (my chin & above my lip)?

Will it go away after surgery?? I am hopeful!! So tired of waxing!

Are you using Biotin? If so, that is likely the culprit. Even though it does not prevent hair loss, it will make what you have look great and LUSH! I have lots of lovely eyelashes, eyebrows (also known as the "unibrow"), hairs where there should not be hairs, FORESTS of leg hair (let the clearcutting begin!)..... I take 10,000 units of Biotin a day (my NUT thinks I'm crazy and says I'm just peeing it out), but my eyelashes are awesome! I imagine if we cut back or even eliminate the use of the biotin, things will get back to normal. What hair that remains on my head looks great, though, so I don't think I'll stop for awhile!

Are you using Biotin? If so, that is likely the culprit. Even though it does not prevent hair loss, it will make what you have look great and LUSH! I have lots of lovely eyelashes, eyebrows (also known as the "unibrow"), hairs where there should not be hairs, FORESTS of leg hair (let the clearcutting begin!)..... I take 10,000 units of Biotin a day (my NUT thinks I'm crazy and says I'm just peeing it out), but my eyelashes are awesome! I imagine if we cut back or even eliminate the use of the biotin, things will get back to normal. What hair that remains on my head looks great, though, so I don't think I'll stop for awhile!

No, I'm not using Biotin. It's probably due to my thyroid or low testosterone the doc thinks. I just hope it improves.

Probably not.

Electrolysis is the answer. I went weekly for a year and bi-weekly for another year. Problem solved. Any strays that appear once in a while I just tweeze.

I was hoping for the same thing! I noticed as I gained weight my facial hair is ridiculous so I was hoping as I lose weight once I have surgery the facial hair will lessen?

I have PCOS, so I understand the struggle.

Once the hair follicle is present, it will continue to grow hair. It doesn't just stop. With that being said, excess hormones are stored in fat, so if you have a condition like PCOS, many of the side effects of the condition will improve with weight loss, Unfortunately, a reduction in excess hair is not one of them. Laser hair removal is the latest treatment option available to remove excess hair. Electrolysis used to be the only permanent option and is much more time consuming and costly in comparison.

Laser hair removal is the latest treatment option available to remove excess hair. Electrolysis used to be the only permanent option and is much more time consuming and costly in comparison.

I've had both and spent thousands on each.

Unfortunately laser hair removal does not work at all on light hair colors (red, blonde, very light brown, white, grey). My upper lip was 90% blonde/red and laser doesn't work at all on that. My chin hair was thicker but more white. Some of it was like bristle. It was awful. Laser doesn't do a thing for it.

And no matter what they tell you when you go in, you are looking at about an 85% permanent hair reduction rate with laser. I went to a medical spa (doctor) to have mine done, and it was very pricey. Twelve 1 hour monthly visits for full leg, underarm, full bikini and toes and I still have to spend a few hundred a year to have new areas / regrowth zapped.

Don't go to anyone but a doctor to have laser because they won't be carrying enough insurance if anything goes wrong.

I'm still happy I got it done because my leg hair was so dark, but you do have to keep touching it up unless you are really lucky.

@@FlabbyNat I read that with PCOS or hormonal related facial hair there is 78% resolution with the surgery. I'm hoping that's true and I'm in that 78%.

Edited by erose321

@@FlabbyNat I read that with PCOS or hormonal related facial hair there is 78% resolution with the surgery. I'm hoping that's true and I'm in that 78%.

Awesome. I hope so! Thanks