Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am using Tapatalk and couldn't find an intro forum so I thought I would jump in here.

I have been reading this forum for a couple of weeks now, trying to get some real life experiences.

I Had my initial consult last week and scheduled all of my appts.

I have to lose 13 pounds by June 15 when I meet my surgeon.

I am pretty nervous ( as I imagine everyone who has gone through this process is)

Mostly I am worried that I will regret it.

Or that I will be one of those people who lose just 20 pounds and stall.

I have about 110 pounds to lose.

I am in my early 50s and feel like this is my last chance at not dying a fat person.

So, anyways. ..Hi!

I am new to this site as well so I had a little trouble navigating. I am 5 days post op and was an anxious nervous wreck up until the day of surgery. I was like you, wondering if I am going to regret it. So far this is what I have experienced; The first 24 hours after were very difficult because you are allowed nothing by mouth until the upper GI rules out leakage (gastric sleeve). I was so dry in the mouth by the time it was time to go get the UGI done I was upset. All I wanted was a ice chip. I survived it and then was able to sip Water. The only problem is with the tiniest sip I was a little nauseated. I imagine everyone is affected differently but remember this, everyone gets themselves hyped up way more than necessary. I believe you will do just fine. When is your surgery scheduled?

No schedule yet. I could get a date mid June.

My insurance requires 3 months of pre-op work so the soonest could be July.

But my summer schedule is so booked up that I may wait until mid August.

If I don't chicken out!

Take whatever time you need to get comfortable with the procedure and with the changes to your lifestyle. I am 4 weeks post op.

I had a late surgery, so I never got into my room until about 9 p.m. I had pain as soon as I woke up from the anesthesia, but they quickly gave me a pain pump and I felt much better. I was up and walking a few times throughout the night. I wasn't allowed to drink anything, but they did give me mouth swabs and brushing my teeth helped a lot.

Day 2 was my trip to get my swallow test. Basically they gave me xrays while I drank some radioactive liquid. All was well, so I was allowed to have liquids. They brought me a tray with Water, tea, juice, broth, Jello, and a popsicle. I felt bad wasting so much, but it was just a few sips at a time. I did manage most of the popsicle and i kept the juice, Jello, and tea to work on later. They brought me 3 or 4 more trays that day. They tried to transition me to oral pain pills, but I have some allergies and what they were trying wasn't working. I can't take hydrocodone, which is the med of choice.

Day 3 brought the requirement to drink 1 oz ever 15 minutes. I did pretty well, but slept a lot since they also changed my meds. I asked to stay one more night in the hospital. I didn't want to have any issues with meds once I got home. I also started Protein shakes, but they didn't taste very good. I managed to get down about 4 oz all day.

Day 4 came and after I drank 40oz I was allowed to go home. I didn't have any pain at this point, but just a little soreness. It felt like I did too many sit-ups

I did have what felt like muscle spasms when I tried to drink for the first week or so, but it was just with my first sip or two and then I felt fine. It was like my body just needed to wake up.

I feel great at this point and have for the past week or 2. I even go to the gym on a daily basis. I am on the pureed foods stage and really haven't had any problems. I get to start soft foods next week.

Good luck and let me know if there is anything else I can tell you about.