Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Buddy's in Manchester

Hi all I had my sleeve done on the 17th March and was wondering if there is anyone based in the Manchester or northwest (UK) area.

Hi

I'm from the Northwest. Where did you have your sleeve done? I'm having mine done at Salford Royal.

Awaiting surgery date (elevated white blood cells - 2nd set of bloods taken, white cell count down by 2 points so the Pre-Op dept. have now cleared me for surgery).

I've researched/read everything I can, viewed some sleeve operations and other bariatric (sleeve) patients blogs on the Internet. I've been two years in a weight management programme and to date I have lost 18kg my goal, after surgery, is to lose another 48kg. I've also attended the Bariatric Support Group meetings at the hospital.

The only fear I have (can't get it out of my head) is that something will go wrong either on the operating table and I wont wake up, or after, during recovery period. Is this normal, do others (did you) have/had the same fear, am I being silly or am I not ready?

Hi I had mine done at the Spire Manchester hospital, after attending the 2 year weight loss plan my doctors would not allow me to go through the procedure on the NHS due to my age which was 24 at the time even though I had gone through 2 years on the management course plus another 2 years worth of councelling and maintenance all of which was a complete waste of time as if I had known I would of have to gone privately I would have done years ago.

Well done with your weight loss you have done fantastically well!! I have a lot more to lose then you I am 6 weeks out of surgery and 19kg down so far even after my 3 week stall with 71kg to go.

I personally researched as much as I could read blogs just like you I even watched the surgery being done on YouTube to ensure I knew what I was getting myself into. Your fears are normal and if you feel your not ready it's okay to push your date back a bit till you are. Only you can decide when the time is right for you.

The fear you have is completely normal, anyone especially if you have never had an operation before has this fear. Whilst every operation has its risks having a sleeve done isn't usually associated with death. My dad took me to the hospital on the morning of my operation and said to me i had a quadruple heart bypass and was at the time i was 27 stone if i can wake up from that you can wake up from this.

My story was 17th March (day 1) I was in the hospital at 7 am got changed into a gown and had bloods taken, had special DVT socks put on and had an blood thinning injection into my stomach and had to do a pregnancy test just to be sure as I am over the age of 13.

At 7.30 am my surgeon and the anesthestist came round to me know what was going to happen etc.

By 8.30 am my blood work etc had come back okay and I walked to the operating rooks said goodbye to ny dad met all the team of doctors and nurses that would be looking after me and got onto the operating table.

A canular was placed into my hand and the anesthestist saw my tattoo on my foot and asked me which artist did them and do I have any plans to get anymore and before I had any chance of replying I was out for the count.

Around 11.30 was when I woke up (they had a fire alarm test due at the hospital and I remember hearing the siren) to a nurse telling me it was okay where I was and to rest. At this point I just felt tired there is no pain at all due to the morphine but I would say do not fight the urge to sleep just go as you need at the rest you can and it can only make you feel nauseous.

Around 1pm I was out of recovery and back in my room surrounded by family ( I will be honest at this point George Clooney could have been in my room and I wouldn't have known) you will be resting a lot and sleeping all the drugs off for most of the day.

By 8pm I was ready to try walking as I needed the loo so I got up walked to my en-suite and walked back again. The incisions were twinging a bit but nothing I couldn't handle but I did sit up for a bit and through up a little blood. This was as a result of surgery where a little blood had escaped up above my stomach and just needed to come out. It was only small amounts and happened on the first 3 times I got up throughout the night but never happened again.

Through the day the nurses checked on my pain levels gave me medication when I needed it and took my blood pressure.

The following morning I got up took a shower washed my hair ect and got myself dressed and sat in a chair.

That day around 12 pm I tried some Soup only about 3 small spoonfuls and was sipping Water throughout the day.

Again much the same as the day before the nurses checked by blood pressure and pain levels all day.

By 8.30 pm I had seen my surgeon again and he said I could go home. The ride home took about an hour as going over bumps isn't pleasant about this point and literally got into bed surrounded myself with pillows so I couldn't roll over in the night and slept for 12 hours.

The following few days are all about you sipping Soup getting Water in and and managing your own pain levels. I was given fast tab which stop the acid production in your stomach soluble Co codomol and an injection of blood thinning medicine into my stomach that I had to do myself once a day.

You will be fine I assure you, the only complication I have had is not getting enough water in which left me dehydrated and I spent 9 hours in crumpsall hospital on a drip but that's it.

Just stick to your diet 2 weeks liquid 2 weeks puree 2 weeks sifts 2 weeks solid go at the rate your body tells you and speak to your dietitian I do every few days even if it is just to say do you recommend I should try this or is this normal and whilst I assure no expert at all I am always here if you want to ask me something.

I am now 7 weeks out on Tuesday and feeling good my fatigue levels are getting a lot better and I am going swimming and for walks with my dog every day, get yourself into a routine and be prepared I made homemade Soups a couple of days before I went in.

And if you wanna talk or ask any questions feel free.

Hi ladies,

Just to give you a bit of basic info:

I'm 30yrs old and I had my sleeve surgery done on 7th March 2015 at Spire Cheshire so I'm northwest based too.

I'm 5.8" and I was 146.5kg/23st 1lb on the day of my op and I've lost about 3.5 - 4 stone in the 8 weeks since then and gone from an evans sz 26 a*se to an evans sz 22 and dropped a good few bra sizes.

Em's experience of surgery sounds similar to mine. I wasn't worried at all because it really isn't major surgery and I think because my mum has had quite a few ops that were a lot more serious and come out fine and she's been a bit in and out of hospital over the years so you get used to it.

All the medical literature details minimal risk for the sleeve surgery as its larascopic and similar to Em's experience - for me there was minimal pain and fuss too.

In terms of waking you up after the op - they put much bigger people to sleep with no problems and I have asthma and needed monitoring because my lungs don't work properly (teeny lungs and big ol' titties - whoda thunk? lol) and they just gave me oxygen when I came out and we did breathing exercises and had a laugh to be honest.

You can never say there are no complications because you can't predict the future but surgeons will absolutely not go forward with surgery if there's proper risks as its not worth it for them, let alone you.

Psychologically speaking, I'd turn your nervousness into excited energy. Think of all the complications you won't have later on in life because of your surgery. Plus like Em so brilliantly detailed - you'll be asleep anyway and you won't know the difference because you'll be on pain killers so you won't be suffering - I was up doing yoga stretches the next morning and getting rid of my post op wind - lovely thought lol

The operation scars are there now but I couldn't give a monkeys to be honest as I looked a lot worse being fat than I do with a few scars on my belly and I'm using scar fade gel from boots to aid healing. They were smooth and flat and fine within a week of the op anyway.

Em, we're at the same stage and as the weight is coming off I'm starting to get more active but its going round town and doing house work and I've got some arm weights I use a little and am dancing around. It's hard to think of myself ever being a 'proper' exerciser but being active is a start - how are you finding the exercise? - Were you an exerciser before surgery - do you have any plans to join a gym or a class or anything?

x

Hi Cole, we are almost the same weight as well as being the same stage !!!! It's great to find someone who is !!! And congratulations on your weight loss you are doing fantastic.

I didn't do any exercise before surgery at all I did one class and went to the gym twice since being 18 and I'm 25 now.

I would like to join the gym or do a class but I'm not sure I could do that without someone to go with to keep me motivated. Going swimming is absolutely fine I do around an hour a day some days a bit more if I have the energy usually breastfeeding stroke to work my bingo wings and you can feel the effects when you leave the pool. I am sure it's more psychological but I certainly feel a difference.

I walk my dog for a good couple of hours too at the moment as I am still off work, I return on the 6th may due to my works insurance policy and my previous hydration problems so while I have the time I may as well.

What's the weight loss each week at the moment I was determined to get below 20 stone for my weigh in tomorrow and I'm not sure I have done that yet (fingers crossed) but the weight has been coming off a few pounds here and there after my stall but I think that may have something to do with me changing food stages. How did you find this ??

X

Where abouts are you from ?? We could always buddy up if your not far from Manchester.

Well Em you're doing waaaaaay more than me in terms of exercise. My weight loss mainly coming from the fact I'm eating very little and really sticking to the rules. I struggle with exercise designed to make you get out of breathe because of my asthma and its not really a good idea for me. My best bet is sustained elevated heart rate activity and things like Yoga (which gets easier when your bely stops being in the way so much lol) to develop strength and tone. If I had a private pool I'd be in there 24/7 but the idea of going swimming where people can see me is too much to bear. There's a new leisure complex they're building in my local town that will have a pool though so never say never! (But DEFINITELY NOT NOW LOL)

I don't have a dog to walk - I've got cats but they won't wear a lead :-D

(Please note, no cats were harmed in the making of this comment)

I want to see if I can private message you about where I live etc

I'm off work too at the moment - I left my old job in Feb and am applying for roles at the moment looking to get back to work asap. I've had a bit of a struggle trying to sort out a respectable interview outfit as my size keeps changing and I'm trying to keep costs down a bit. All my shoe are too big which is a big expense but I've been selling so much stuff on ebay it's like I've got my own business on there and it is great to get that forward momentum of watching stuff fly out the door (making space for new yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay).

Happy to meet up somewhere for a natter and a skinny Decaf latte - I'll pm if I can...

P.S - RE the weight loss per week.

I didn't/don't weigh myself. I went to the doctors and they weighed me on a balance manual scale and when I went back to my consultant 3 days later and he weighed me on the digital scales, there was over a stone difference - and I didn't loose that in 3 days! So digital scales are much better and I don't have any yet.

On average over the first 8 weeks it looks like I'm loosing 5.5lbs a week but the ebb and flow of it - I don't know.

My thing is that my next in (digital) will be 9th June with the dietician and I have a feeling it will have slowed down a bit but for me its about lifestyle change and the numbers will follow.

I think as it gets harder to shift I will invest in some digital scales so I can keep myself on track but that's a treat for the future for me. I wouldn't want to get addicted to weighing myself and then get demotivated if I loose 3lbs rather than 5lbs in a week - because I wasn't loosing ANY before surgery so actually, any loss is bloody fantastic! :-)

Em / Cole, thank you both for sharing your experiences. Congratulations on your respective weight loss to date. I've not been scheduled for surgery yet but expect to have undergone a VSG within the next six to eight weeks. Keep up the good work.

PS - I would appreciate it if you could share any recipes and or products that have helped you. Eg which supermarket sells the best clear Soup.< /p>

C2Cforever, have you had your op yet. Its July for me just waiting for surgeon to give date

Hi Chris

Yes, I got a phone call from the surgeon's secretary bright and early Thursday morning (4 June) and she confirmed my surgery date is Monday 6 July - WooHoo!

Hope your surgery date comes through soon and that everything goes to plan for you.

Just waiting for Monday I should have a date then. Just want to get it over with now. Have you told friends, or work mates that you are having the op

Hi Chris

I've only told those closest to me. My partner is very supportive of my decision to have this surgery and he has been trying his best to explain to my 91 year old mother who doesn't' want me to have it done that this is for the good of my health. She is still quite worried about the whole thing so we're keeping things as low key as possible. Starting to prepare myself for the liver reducing diet. Next stop, surgery then on to a better healthily long life.

Hi guys,

Its really good to see some english sleevers and reading your posts i just thought yes!! Im getting in on this. Hope u guys dont mind. Well i am booked in for surgery for the 10th august, going to belgium to get my sleeve done (couldnt be arsed faffing around with the nhs anymore tbh). Im 17st11 at the mo and would like to get dwn to about 10 stone, big goal i know but i can dream big can't i ? Im feeling like this is it now no turning back but we will see a bit closer to my surgery date what true feelings start emerging. So just wanted to say COLE keep up the good work looks like your well on the way to the new you, and C2C FOREVER 6th july is the day you'll never look back so good luvk with your surgery. Hopefully would love to keep in contact share tips and recipies and general support on how to get through the 1st month post op which is what im dreading the most lol. Ive got no idea how im gonna survive on liquids and mush but somehow we will get through it.

Hi ladies,

Just to give you a bit of basic info:

I'm 30yrs old and I had my sleeve surgery done on 7th March 2015 at Spire Cheshire so I'm northwest based too.

I'm 5.8" and I was 146.5kg/23st 1lb on the day of my op and I've lost about 3.5 - 4 stone in the 8 weeks since then and gone from an evans sz 26 a*se to an evans sz 22 and dropped a good few bra sizes.

Em's experience of surgery sounds similar to mine. I wasn't worried at all because it really isn't major surgery and I think because my mum has had quite a few ops that were a lot more serious and come out fine and she's been a bit in and out of hospital over the years so you get used to it.

All the medical literature details minimal risk for the sleeve surgery as its larascopic and similar to Em's experience - for me there was minimal pain and fuss too.

In terms of waking you up after the op - they put much bigger people to sleep with no problems and I have asthma and needed monitoring because my lungs don't work properly (teeny lungs and big ol' titties - whoda thunk? lol) and they just gave me oxygen when I came out and we did breathing exercises and had a laugh to be honest.

You can never say there are no complications because you can't predict the future but surgeons will absolutely not go forward with surgery if there's proper risks as its not worth it for them, let alone you.

Psychologically speaking, I'd turn your nervousness into excited energy. Think of all the complications you won't have later on in life because of your surgery. Plus like Em so brilliantly detailed - you'll be asleep anyway and you won't know the difference because you'll be on pain killers so you won't be suffering - I was up doing yoga stretches the next morning and getting rid of my post op wind - lovely thought lol

The operation scars are there now but I couldn't give a monkeys to be honest as I looked a lot worse being fat than I do with a few scars on my belly and I'm using scar fade gel from boots to aid healing. They were smooth and flat and fine within a week of the op anyway.

Em, we're at the same stage and as the weight is coming off I'm starting to get more active but its going round town and doing house work and I've got some arm weights I use a little and am dancing around. It's hard to think of myself ever being a 'proper' exerciser but being active is a start - how are you finding the exercise? - Were you an exerciser before surgery - do you have any plans to join a gym or a class or anything?

x