Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First day out of hospital, it hurts it hurts ithurts!

My stomach hurts soo bad. I can only lay straight up in bed, on my sides is unbearable pain. I basically can't sleep. I told the nurses how much pain I was in but they said it was normal and discharged me anyways? This is like the worst day of my life, that's how bad the pain is.

This is actually normal?

Edited by Dreamagain

Everyone's pain tolerance is different. But you just had major surgery so yes the first few days are painful. It will get better.

I am guessing the pain is from the gas they use during surgery. It is very painful and pain melds don't nothing for it.

Make sure you are walking as much as you possibly can. When you are laying or sitting out a heating pad on your tummy which helps with the gas. Also try some gas x strips or gas x chewables. They really do help.

Also, you must make sure you get your liquids in so you don't get dehydrated which will really make you hurt.

I hope you feel better soon. I promise the pain goes away soon.

Walk. It should help with the recovery.

I was in a lot of pain post-op as well. I had back spasms and a lot of tenderness and pulling/ burning at my incision areas. Couldn't stand straight up for a week or like you said lay on my sides. I had a large wedge pillow which helped behind my back. I also had an electric recliner (I know so spoiled) and I sat at a 90 degree angle. I did a lot of walking but also had a lot of down time and help. Stay on top of your pain meds and heat typically helps as well. I also had an abdominal binder which helped me out a lot. Stay on top of those pain meds and when in doubt call your surgeon.

Yes, it's normal. I had to sleep sitting up for the first 4 days. Move; best advice.

I think it is normal for some people. I was in pain too. I was unable to sleep in my bed for two weeks. Then, once I got in my bed I couldn't sleep on my side until three weeks post op. I made sure I took my pain meds around the clock. I set a timer and made sure I went for a walk every hour.

One of the best things that helped me was a small travel pillow that I used to brace against the painful part of my stomach. I used it when I got up and down, when I walked.

Hang in there it will get better. One day you will go to stand up and realize all the pain is gone and its smooth sailing. Good luck!!

I am 4 days post op and I too am in the worst most excruciating pain ive ever experienced in my entire life. I have a high pain tollerence too so I'm not sure what's going on. I just have to keep reminding myself that this is what I wanted, that it's going to be so worth it, and that the pain going through this is far less than the lifetime amount of pain caused by being obese. I cannot even pull my dang pants up without help and I'm so swoolen And tight that I can't move without help. I also know people who are having very little pain! I guess it all just depends on if your lucky or not! My surgery also lasted 3 full hours and there was no pre-op liquid diet before hand so that could play a part in it I'm not sure. Either way stay strong! We can do this!! Just keep walking and walking and walking! And sipping on that water! Before we know it we won't even remember the torture we are going through right now because the outcome will be so much better!

day 5 post op and belly is soo distended and uncomfortable. feeling full with just 1 oz of applesauce. How long does this last?Been walking alot.

I am so sorry you are in so much pain! I remember waking up from surgery screaming in pain! I felt like I got hit by a truck. Day 2 post op I cried to my husband, "what did I do to myself, did I do the wrong thing?"

It took about 2-3 weeks before I could even walk.

Hang in there hun, it WILL get better!!!! I promise.

Do keep up with your pain meds. Take them at the right time. If it tells y9u every 4 hours for example, take it at 3 1\2 hours. That way you stay ahead of the pain. My mom has been telling me that for years and this time she was so right!!!!!

Good luck hun

I take my liquid hydrocodone every four hours. 10 units sometimes 15 if the pain is bad. I'm 5 days post op and I know EXACTLY how you feel. i've had those thoughts too like "what have I done/" "i should have just stayed fat," etc. But you know it will get better. I feel better today even though the pain is still there. Especially when I first move after sleeping. I have not had one single good night's sleep since last week. It all is in 4 hours spurt. I get tired but the pain medication doesn't always help me sleep. Just stay on top of the pain and try to get as much Fluid as you can in. The heating pad has done wonders on my back and that somehow comforts me when i'm trying to sit even though it's my tummy that hurts alot. The pain is normal. You just had a major abdominal surgery. They cut and pulled and moved and dug things into your abdominal cavity and there is no way that you wouldn't have some type of post-op pain. Don't hesitate to call the surgeon either. I went back to ER friday night with a temperature even though nothing was wrong they found out (thank goodness!) and I've been so nauseated and dry-heaving all weekend. They called in some zofron for me! I believe it definitely will get better!