Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumping syndrome with sleeve?

I currently have the band, but I keep vomiting and am miserable and not losing weight. I spoke to my doc about revising to the sleeve nod currently he has taken all the Fluid from my band. He recommended me getting the sleeve. I'm kind of leaning towards this because I'm not thrilled with bypass. And right now my bmi is 36, so he feels like I'd do better with a sleeve also because of my age.

But I was wondering, do you get dumping with the sleeve? I've read some do and some don't. Honestly I would want to have it because I do have an issue with avoiding sweets and I'd want to know that I physically can't eat them. So just wondering. TIA

I think it's an individual thing. I also have heard some that do and others that don't. I don't and never have. I am just about 5 months out. I eat sweets in moderation (very rarely, and very little when I do), no issues. Get it clarified by your surgeon, and maybe do some research on it. There are an awful lot of folks who have the sleeve, and from most I've met and read about, they are happy with it. I wish you all the best....

I have 3 friends who had the VSG, only one dumps and it's because of how she eats. She eats things even though her stomach doesn't agree with it [too greasy, sweet, etc] and she doesn't stop when she is full. She has a pickle jar that she dumps into while she's eating at home. If we're out, she'll ask for a styrofoam cup or bowl and dump into but will continue to eat. I haven't gotten my sleeve yet but it really just seems to be a matter of listening to your stomach and steering clear of what upsets it... and not overeating.

I have 3 friends who had the VSG, only one dumps and it's because of how she eats. She eats things even though her stomach doesn't agree with it [too greasy, sweet, etc] and she doesn't stop when she is full. She has a pickle jar that she dumps into while she's eating at home. If we're out, she'll ask for a styrofoam cup or bowl and dump into but will continue to eat. I haven't gotten my sleeve yet but it really just seems to be a matter of listening to your stomach and steering clear of what upsets it... and not overeating.

That didn't sound like dumping, that sounds like vomiting. Dumping usually entails a racing heart, lightheadedness, intestinal cramping etc.

Dumping involves a Severe diarrhea event with 15 minutes. It's like flushing your internal toilet.

Your friend is vomiting because she can't control herself

Oh! I thought dumping was vomiting... it's clearly just what it sounds like. Thank you for clearing that up. And yes, I absolutely agree that she can't control herself.

@RellaBelle That is straight up Bulimia. Binging and Purging.

I had my surgery 3/23 trying to eat now i will have some Of the dumping symtoms but now i know what does it and i wont eat them again a big advice my doctor gave me was to eat slow it will help.

It really depends. I had my first vomiting dump last night, because I was overhungry and I ate really fast..

I had a moment of weakness in week 2 and had a couple of bites of Peanut Butter and jelly on a spoon.... Big big mistake. Racing heart, rapid pulse, I got very pale and felt sick all over. Followed by tiredness sleepiness and diarrhea. Lasted about an hour or so, then all was ok, but my hubby almost took me to the ER. I'm only three weeks out and had the sleeve, I'm pretty sure what I experienced was dumping!

Yes Casey that is totally dumping.