Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Waiting seems to be the worst

i found out April 8 that my surgery would not be until May 28

I am beyond anxious to start this new journey and having the date still so far away is driving me insane! Day and night all I think about is May 28th. I stress about getting sick and having to post pone it even farther away, or gaining weight and them telling me they cannot do it. My initial process went by so fast, with the doctor visits and test and now that everything is set, I'm at a stand still and really do not know what to do with myself. What makes it even worse is that I am on vacation for the next week, with nothing planned, so keeping myself busy, away from eating, and not stressing is going to be fun. I really wish they would not have told me until 3-4 weeks before, 7 weeks is just too long and nerve racking.

That does seem like a long time to wait! Mine will be may 6th. I have been slowly keeping myself busy by looking on the internet and buying things I will need for the hospital or once I am home. I have only bought 2 things ha ha. A robe and a ninja blender. I'm going to look for some fuzzy socks next. It gives me something to look forward too. I have also been looking and stalking peoples profiles on Instagram that have had weight loss surgery. Ha ha that has kept me motivated. Good luck!!

Wow! May 6, you are almost there. Do you have to do the pre-surgery diet? I have been on the computer a lot looking, researching and buying supplement and my Protein Powder. Right now I just feel like I should be doing something to prepare, but the reality is the only thing to do is NOT gain weight. I wish you the best of luck the 6th and can't wait to hear how everything went. Keep us posted.

Yes, I have to do the pre surgery diet. I am not looking forward to it, but I am excited to see how much I can drop during that time. I am starting to get a bit nervous for the surgery as the day gets closer.

If you haven't already, it's a good time to practice some of the post-op habits you'll need, like not drinking with meals, chewing your food 25 times before swallowing. My NUT has me trying to do this and I was having trouble remembering when eating, so she suggested I get some special plates or napkins that would be automatic reminders. My regular dishes are mostly white, so I got some Fiesta ware red salad plates - instant trigger to help me remember.

Also, if you are still drinking coffee or tea, it's a good time to wean off the caffeine slowly (hopefully you're already off soda) so you don't get a big withdrawal headache.

Increasing your exercise (I know, hard to do while we're heavy) - longer walks, maybe some light weights, etc. Supposedly helps with recovery.

Take some good "pre-op" pics showing you at different angles, and measurements too, for post-op encouragement.

Think about what food means to you now - comfort, friend, etc. and if you haven't come to terms with that yet, work on it - therapy or just finding substitutes for eating.

I'm looking at June surgery and have been waiting since Dec so at least you're a little ahead of me!

@@drmeow i truly appreciate this post and all of the comments fron everyone else. The tips are GREAT... I am new starting out my journey. Waiting on my surgery date. I know I have to make some preop changes and i want to start working on things now. Im super excited but nervous about all of the changes. Only natural but I refuse to live an unhealthy life. I get a head start and leap one hurdle at a time.

Happy, journey to all and continued success!

I had my final apt on April1. Still no word on final approval. I am very discouraged. I have called a couple times to check with no response. I get voicemail everytime. I usually hang up as i dont want to be that person... But no answer everytime is a bummer. I just want to know if I'm approved. I don't want to buy stuff until i know. Now all i want is starbucks and a cigarette. How long does approval take.

I have blue cross and to be honest I do not even know when they submitted the paperwork to the insurance company. I completed my required 6 month appointment with my PCP and was called about a week later March 27 for my first pre op visit with the programs PA and dietician, I had my second pre op visit with the dietician and surgeon April 9 th and was given my surgery date the next day. Which is scheduled for May 28. I was told My insurance is approved before I Actually meet the surgeon.

I would be going crazy if I were you and would have to call them. If you haven't heard from them at this point you should call them.

I know what you mean about waiting being the worst. I'm waiting for final approval from insurance and I constantly look at my phone. I had my last nutrition appt April 10th and now I'm going crazy waiting. ????

I understand, I am waiting to hear from the Team who meets today to discuss my appointment with the Surgeon, Psych Eval, Nurse Practicioner and Nutritionist. I am approved based on my medical conditions, I was told I may need a sleep Study. I will find out but YES... Waiting Sucks!!! I am going to receive an email today or tomorrow and know the next steps...

I will be patient though it will come soon enough. Already have conquered alot so far so I will keep -a-movin!!

Good luck to us ALL :0)

If your programs are anything like mine, they run a monthly routine or schedule, so depending on where you are could create a longer wait time.

The first Thursday of the month is the 3rd Pre Op meeting and Friday is for the informational meeting for new patient

The second week Thursday is 1st Pre op meeting with nutritionist and PA

Third week 1st Post Op appointments and established Post Op patients

Fourth Thursday 2nd Pre Op group meeting and meeting with surgeon

Shelleylester,

This is NOT the worst, you have not been denied, that would be the worst. When I met with my team Imhad to do an endoscopy. My first thought was great wait another month, but Imactually go in real quick. Everything that slows the process sucks, but it also a great demonstration of your commitment. It took me years to gain my weight, so waiting an extra month is ok, especially once the surgery takes place the weight comes off quickly.

I like you want it done immediately, finding out my surgery date April 9 th and having to waituntil May28 is driving me crazy. 7 weeks with nothing to do, but try not to gain ANY weight. I have all my supplements Protein powder and everything I need for my pre op diet, so literally, all I have is time to wait. Luckily time moves forward and my date will get here and so will yours. Stay strong and commuted, I Wont say no Starbucks, but definitely NO smoking.

I agree that the waiting is making me nuts. I started this process a year ago. My first appointment with the surgeon was July 31, 2014 where I was accepted into the program. There were lots of appointments (sleep study, upper GI and contrast testing, and physical therapy) to confirm I am healthy enough to have gastric bypass. saw dr. on March 12th for final approval, also saw nutritionist for copy of 1000-calorie diet that I will be on for 3 weeks before surgery. then had to wait for insurance to give their ok (that was the hardest 3 weeks ever). will have surgery on June 26th (still 2 months away) but I am using this time to adjust to a new life of eating food for fuel and not emotions, giving up soda and sugar, as well as finding a support system - glad I found this site.

even though the waiting is hard, living in the body I have now is much worse. Keep looking forward and the waiting will be over soon. Good Luck.