Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone! I scheduled my surgery yesterday for May 27th, Yay! But, my doctor told me he doesn't require a 2 week liquid diet...just a 3 day liquid diet. How many days do you have to do a liquid diet prior to surgery? I see so many saying they have to do the 2 weeks...I asked why only 3 days and he said he doesn't want to torture me before surgery but do just enough to clear my system. I'm wondering if 3 days will be enough? Thoughts?

I just had my surgery on 4/9/2015 and I did a one (1) week pre-op liquid diet. My understanding is that it helps to reduce the liver, clean things out and overall make the surgery go a bit better. Believe me, you also "clean out" the night before the procedure (worse than the liquid diet). I figured if I couldn't do a week on a liquid diet, how was I going to be able to make a major life change? It was hard, believe me, but I got through it went into surgery about 9lbs lighter.

Good luck! You can do this!

Wow, 9 lbs! Awesome! And by "clean out" th eight before surgery do you mean they give you something to take to clean out your system?

I am currently at the end of my 5th day of my full liquid diet. I have been having three Protein shakes per day, two servings of Tomato Soup, and a yogurt. (3 meals and 3 snacks) so far it hasn't been bad at all. I "eat" every 2- 2.5 hours and drink in between. I have lost 5 lbs by this morning. I have two days of full liquids and then one of Clear Liquids only the day before my surgery.

I would have been required to have two weeks full liquids, but I lost enough weight prior to now that they reduced it.

Some surgeons require you to clean out your system the day before surgery by drinking a prescribe clean out concoction, but mine does not.

Really, it hasn't been bad at all as long as you drink something often. Mid you wait too long between your "meals" it will be harder to keep control of your hunger and it is harder to get it back under control than it is to keep it in control.

Good luck!

Yes, "clean out" means drinking 2 bottles of Magnesium Citrate at about 4pm the night before your surgery. Essentially it cleans out your bowels very well. You will need to stay home as soon as you start drinking this because you need to be near a bathroom. So, while unpleasant, I believe it is to be "clean" for surgery since the surgeon is working on those areas for a bypass. It says in my pre-op binder that this helps because you empty your colon to facilitate passing the bypass intestinal limb behind your colon at surgery. Also, after surgery it helps because you do not want to be straining or having to get up and down quickly. My surgical day and the day after were pretty uncomfortable, but I think I did a lot right and it helped get me out of there as soon as possible. BTW....I think a lot depends on the procedure you're having. I had RNY.

Oh, okay. My surgeon does not require the Magnesium Citrate so thankfully I won't have to deal with that! I am also having the RNY but I've also already had my gallbladder out. I've been told this surgery will be a less painful recovery than gallbladder surgery.

I am having my surgery on Monday 4/20 and my doctor told me I just need to do the liquid diet for 2 days. Today is my first day and it is not easy. I just keep remembering the end results! :) Here we go! :P

Hi, I'm scheduled for surgery, RNY on May 28. My doctor requires 2 weeks of the stage 2 diet before surgery. He stressed the importance of it to aid in the shrinking the liver before surgery. I'm a little worried about how my energy level may be impacted by it because I teach middle school, but other than that it seems pretty doable. Any suggestions on what or how to make it through the two weeks would be great.

Hi, I'm scheduled for surgery, RNY on May 28. My doctor requires 2 weeks of the stage 2 diet before surgery. He stressed the importance of it to aid in the shrinking the liver before surgery. I'm a little worried about how my energy level may be impacted by it because I teach middle school, but other than that it seems pretty doable. Any suggestions on what or how to make it through the two weeks would be great.

TLW, I teach a third/fourth grade blended classroom on the third floor of a 105 year old building. I was very concerned about this too as I didn't want to let my kiddos down anymore than me being gone for three weeks is going to do. I am on day six of my liquid diet. I honestly don't feel as though my energy has waned at all and it has been easier than I had expected. On the plus side, I am already down over six pounds! My last day at school is Monday and it is my Clear Liquids day. I am a bit worried about being hungry and grumpy and I don't want to do that to them!

My surgery is scheduled for 4/28 and I only have to do clear liquids 24 hours before surgery. The 2 weeks before surgery I am on a very low carb (30 grams or less per day) and high Protein (70 grams) diet. It's hard, but manageable. I've lost 7 lbs in the last 5 days I've been on this plan. The nurse really stressed the importance of following this to shrink my liver prior to surgery.

I am having my surgery on Monday 4/20 and my doctor told me I just need to do the liquid diet for 2 days. Today is my first day and it is not easy. I just keep remembering the end results! :) Here we go! :P

Good luck with surgery today! Please let me know how you're doing!

Yeah I'm on a diet to shrink my liver too. Doc wants me to lose 10-15 pounds before surgery. I started his diet plan on Friday and I'm already down 6 pounds as of this morning. I think he'll be pleased with my progress. My weigh in is 4/30. Which I don't get since the surgery isn't until may 27th.

Tomorrow is the big day for me! Here is the million dollar question: how long will this cleanse (mag-cit) have me running?!?

I did a liquid diet for about 14 days before surgery with the last day being clear liquids only. I was also given something called GoLytely which trust me made me go! I think it depends on the surgeon.

My surgery is may 26th.I'm currently doing Optifast for a month as prescribed by my surgeon.