Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to deal with MDD, anxiety, and post op

I have a history of Major Depressive Disorder and Anxiety. Even with the stress of pregnancy, and losing my daughter to foster care, and years of relationship issues with her father, I have still managed to deal with life without being hospitalized or put back on medicine. Post op - I feel my world spiraling again. My insurance in NJ doesn't cover psych - so I would have to go to a hospital and do the outpatient interviews. My PCP is booked for a while, and my surgeon thought cracking jokes about him not practicing psychiatry in this country would go over well. I don't want to battle the meds that cause me to gain weight again - hence why I had the surgery to begin with. Anyone who went through or is still going through this that can shed some light and advise me where to turn or how to handle this?

It sounds like you have identified some options for yourself... going to to the hospital and having outpatient interviews, or waiting for an appointment with your PCP. These may not be your first or favorite choices, but I suggest you get both of those things going until you can figure out something better. As a psychiatric social worker, I can tell you that early intervention is the best thing for both Depression and Anxiety. Also, as for the weight gain that comes with some antidepressants, not all are created equal... talk with your whoever you end up seeing when you have your appointment and discuss this concern. There are lots of meds on the market that do not have this side effect. A good one right now that many people have lots of success with is Pristiq. In the mean time while you're waiting for your appointment (which I'm hoping you will schedule today especially since you've already identified might be a wait), please do some self-care and be gentle with yourself. You're just recovering from surgery. You're body and mind are in transition and that's no small adjustment. Allow yourself some grace. It's okay to feel overwhelmed at times, worried, frustrated, uncertain, however you feel. I'm so glad you reached out here. Keep talking to others! :)

I have MDD and anxiety and it is really hard because i realized I self medicated with food so much. I'm not on any meds but to be honest if i feel bad i go to the gym. It gets my mind off of things and makes me feel something other than depressed or anxious. That may not be for you but try to find something just to keep you going so you don't fall into a depression.

Ask yourself as they will at the hospital, "do you feel like harming yourself or others?"

If you're spiraling towards or at the yes of that question then get to the hospital. Beginning and tweaking the right meds suck but If it's between meds or worse case scenario...take the meds.

Btw, I've taken seroquel for many years. NOTORIOUS weight gainer. I think I put on 60 lbs the first 3 months I was on it. Imo I used it as an excuse to eat. Now post op I realize it's purpose for ME, to help with insomnia. I'm on 400 mg and have lost 124 in 53 weeks.

Thanks everyone. I have an appt w my pcp so I'm hoping he can prescribe me something. I gained about 50lbs being on meds for a year. Then i would drink or smoke cigarettes to get my nerves in check. Now i have none of the above and the stress has not gotten easier or gone away... I'm not to the point of hurting myself or others- but i can't take the always crying and wanting to stay in bed feeling. When I'm ready to quit my job and turn off everyone around me, it's been my cue over the years to get help

Thanks everyone. I have an appt w my pcp so I'm hoping he can prescribe me something. I gained about 50lbs being on meds for a year. Then i would drink or smoke cigarettes to get my nerves in check. Now i have none of the above and the stress has not gotten easier or gone away... I'm not to the point of hurting myself or others- but i can't take the always crying and wanting to stay in bed feeling. When I'm ready to quit my job and turn off everyone around me, it's been my cue over the years to get help

You're being proactive. I admire that. It's very tough when things get so monotone, I'm glad you recognize what you need.