Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just a pannus removal?

Is anyone able to share their story, and perhaps pictures of their pannus removal? I am sure I need a lower body lift and am going to get a consultation, but I often wonder how people look from just a pannus removal. Does your tummy flatten afterwards?

I have rock hard abs, but a lot of excess skin. So I am sure my muscles don't need tightening. But you cannot see my abs under all this skin.

Any stories to share?

Sorry, I didn't have that procedure. But last night at our support group meeting, we had a plastic surgeon as a guest speaker. He went over all the likely procedures people might have after WLS, including the one you're referring to (I can never remember how it is spelled!!!). He did say the belly-button would more than likely be removed, and showed before and after slides. Apparently the top, above the natural waist is not touched, no contouring or anything, just the pannus being removed - only the excess skin. The people, both a man and a woman, both looked pretty good after the surgery, but it was obvious that nothing else was done for any other part of the body.

He was very adamant about preferring to do the abdominoplasty, but I think it was because he gets a lot more out of it - it definitely was a "sales-pitch" type of session. He kept going on about missing your belly-button, but really? The tummy-tuck is rarely, if ever, covered by insurance, and is very expensive (I think he said around $12,000, but I paid $13+ years ago), not to mention VERY painful, don't get me wrong - I'm glad I had one, but it really put me back $ wise. I hope this helps a little. Good luck to you!

I had an abdominoplasty done about 8 months ago and my understanding is that if your insurance will cover the pannus removal, then you can pay the difference for the abdominoplasty and it is only a few grand. Honestly, if you're going to put yourself through the procedure and you can financially manage the difference, it is worth it. I have never had children and I have always had a hard stomach under all my flab and as it turns out, my abs were massively separated and my surgeon stitched them back together. I didn't really notice a difference in my waist size but other people commented about how I had "really brought my tummy in" (ha! if only they knew about the surgery!).

Of the procedures I've had done, I also had the back half of the LBL, which is not terrifically fun. Either way, the pain lasts a day or two and it is generally minor, but the discomfort lasts 1-3 weeks and it's more annoying than painful. You twist the wrong way or pick something up off the floor too fast and you are quickly reminded that you just had your skin chopped off.

Whatever you decide on, good luck!

Wow, you both are so amazing to provide me with such insightful feedback. Thank you both.

I always swore I wouldn't go the plastic surgery route. Now though, after all my hard work, I still get a muffin top of skin, which is discouraging. We all work so hard to beat obesity, to face the next phase of our life. The phase of being okay with ugly skin. I see a trend of people loving their body in clothing, but hate their body naked. I am comfortable enough with my body to not "need" plastic surgery to feel great about myself, but it sure would be nice haha

My ins will pay for panni got my approval letter. Doc wants me to may up front for TT w muscle repair. I will get reimburse whatever the ins pays them. Have you ever heard of ins not paying for the panni portion if I then do a full TT?