Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Problems after 7 years

I'm happy to finally find people who understand the struggles! I have attended support groups, but most patients now have the sleeve.

I had my LapBand surgery about 7 years ago. I had a really difficult time though out the first year trying to find my "sweet spot", once I did, I was golden. I lost about 50-60 lbs without any (real) trouble. I was pretty tight, but learned to adjust my life. I reached about 10 lbs of my goal weight when things started going wrong. I hadn't had an adjustment in over 2 years, but all of the sudden, I couldn't eat, hardly drink...

I had a complete un-fill and after some testing, my Dr. diagnosed gallstones, and I had my gallbladder removed. I gained about 25 lbs in those few months before I could get another real fill. So frustrating. Also, when my band was completely empty, I had incredible gas, ALL the time.

Now, about 1.5 year later, I can't get a good restriction. When the band is relatively tight, I suffer with reflux (NEVER had any kind of hearburn in my life) and I can barely eat anything. Of course my weight is good... Last night I had to sleep sitting up, and still can hardly drink Water. I have been back and forth over the past few months with adjustments (at $175 each). I know I have to go back in, but then my weight will go up again. I exercise, and try to eat well, but it's like my body sucks up the calories and won't let go.

Because I'm having such difficulty now, I'm concerned about damage to my esophagus, and what did I see about cancer from GERD!? I'm not interested in the sleeve or a different procedure. I could really use some advice and support. I never have regretted my decision to have surgery, but I worry now about long term effects or permanent damage to my body.

I am one of the lucky ones but it is increasingly clear that for quite a lot of people the band simply does not do what they hoped.

My first suggestion is - get some saline out asap.

Then, at a lower level of restriction, try again with good "band eating" . Small bites, starting with dense Protein, allowing time for each mouthful to pass before taking the next, walking away when the measured amount has been eating. I obviously don't know if this is the case, but with all your problems, you may have forgotten what it feels like when the band is well-adjusted. We can always eat more, we never feel stuffed, we are never physically unable to eat.

Hope it gets sorted. But don't wait too long - get some saline out!

I can Quote Band Stats that say 60% of ppl with bands need Revisions, etc.. But that's Obvious if you use a google search.

But that only helps you understand that YOU didn't Fail, the band Did. ;)

As the previous poster stated get some Saline out! Don't starve yourself it won't help, you've already messed up your metabolism with a band and your body HOLDS Onto everything you put in it.

The band creates Scar tissue under the band and around it as well, that will/does create a "too tight" feeling as well and adds to the probelms of Reflux/Gerd and aspiration pneumonia if that continues. Also, as you've mentioned Esophageal problems like Dilation, Pre Cancerous tissue, and loss of Esophageal motility. :(

Your SMART in questioning the effectivenss or LACK there of the band and your Health.

My advise is get the band removed Weightloss isn't worth the damage to your body or poor health. Good Luck

Kate is right, But Jamie doesn't have a clue. You can google any subject and selectively find the answer you want to believe. She's looking at studies from nearly 2 decades ago. Recent studies are more like 10%-15%.

But Kate's advice is right on. Take small amounts out at a time. Maybe .2 CCs? Eat like a Bandster and you should be able to kick start the bandwagon.

I can Quote Band Stats that say 60% of ppl with bands need Revisions, etc.. But that's Obvious if you use a google search.

But that only helps you understand that YOU didn't Fail, the band Did. ;)

As the previous poster stated get some Saline out! Don't starve yourself it won't help, you've already messed up your metabolism with a band and your body HOLDS Onto everything you put in it.

The band creates Scar tissue under the band and around it as well, that will/does create a "too tight" feeling as well and adds to the probelms of Reflux/Gerd and aspiration pneumonia if that continues. Also, as you've mentioned Esophageal problems like Dilation, Pre Cancerous tissue, and loss of Esophageal motility. :(

Your SMART in questioning the effectivenss or LACK there of the band and your Health.

My advise is get the band removed Weightloss isn't worth the damage to your body or poor health. Good Luck

So sorry you're going through all of this. Clearly you are too tight and I know you're afraid to lose "restriction" -- I so get that! Always hate to use that word -- (see the Dr. Simpson piece below on "The LapBand is Not About Restriction" and also maybe a review of the Golden Rules would help you). I would get right in to have a slight unfill -- even a 1/2 cc can make a big difference. Some people benefit from the 5-day pouch test to reboot -- a way of getting back in touch with the band. I just did a four-day juice fast which helped me as I was reverting to some old habits like grazing. Take good care of yourself and be in contact with your medical professionals to resolve this now. Best wishes -- let us know how you're doing.

Kate is right, But Jamie doesn't have a clue. You can google any subject and selectively find the answer you want to believe. She's looking at studies from nearly 2 decades ago. Recent studies are more like 10%-15%....

I can tell you that my Dr. no longer does lapbands unless the insurance company insists. That speaks louder then perhaps the statistics themselves.