Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ugh! I'm in the "What If" Stage... Grrr

What if I'm in pain for months post-op

What if I find a loop hole and my addiction comes creeping in and I don't lose anything.

What if I feel empty and scared.

Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears. ~ Les Brown

Surgery date: 5/21/15

That is a legitimate fear, but, overwhelmingly that will not be the case. Most people recover fairly quickly from surgery and are back to normal activities within a few days to a couple of weeks. Look at the bigger what if. If you don't have the surgery and continue down the path that lead you to where you are at now. Will your quality of life be better or worse, will your lifestyle choices make you healthier or sicker, in severe cases will the what if I don't have the surgery lead to an early grave? We all have had these fears that is why we made the choice to have the surgery to get healthy and to live longer better lives. There are so many things in our lives have a what if factor, that is why you do a pro/con list and weigh our options and make an educated choice to do what is best for us.

You will do fine statistically your chances of things going sideways are so low. Just make sure you follow the Dr's and Nutritionist's orders and follow your post-op bible you will be successful. Stay positive and things will work out. Good luck!

That is a legitimate fear, but, overwhelmingly that will not be the case. Most people recover fairly quickly from surgery and are back to normal activities within a few days to a couple of weeks. Look at the bigger what if. If you don't have the surgery and continue down the path that lead you to where you are at now. Will your quality of life be better or worse, will your lifestyle choices make you healthier or sicker, in severe cases will the what if I don't have the surgery lead to an early grave? We all have had these fears that is why we made the choice to have the surgery to get healthy and to live longer better lives. There are so many things in our lives have a what if factor, that is why you do a pro/con list and weigh our options and make an educated choice to do what is best for us.

You will do fine statistically your chances of things going sideways are so low. Just make sure you follow the Dr's and Nutritionist's orders and follow your post-op bible you will be successful. Stay positive and things will work out. Good luck!

Appreciate it King! Smart words my friend...

What if it all works out perfectly and this time a year or two from now you are happy, healthy, and at your goal weight? :)

Stephanie, you sure do have a lot of hampsters running around in your brain! I was going to say exactly what AvaFern just said. What if you go up to the search box and type in NSV? You will find posts on all of the amazing changes that others have experienced only because they went through with their surgeries. You will start noticing pleasant differences about the time you lose the first 30 pounds.

What if it all works out perfectly and this time a year or two from now you are happy, healthy, and at your goal weight? :)

yaaasssssss!

There are too many "what ifs" in life. But since you started...What if you don't have this surgery? What if you continue on your current weight gain track?

Its totally normal to feel anxious, nervous, scared, excited and whatever other feeling you may have. Just ask yourself why you are having this surgery and why you decided to do it now. Whenever I doubted my decision, I reminded myself why I was doing it.

You can do it. Hopefully, you have a support system at home but if not, we are all here for you. good luck

What if I find a loop hole and my addiction comes creeping in and I don't lose anything.

Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears. ~ Les Brown

• What if I'm in pain for months post-op - For the great majority, this doesn't happen. For some, it can. My daughter is one of the unlucky ones. But even with all this pain and nausea, I think she did the right thing. Continued unchecked, her health would have continued to go downhill. As others are saying, be positive! I'm saying even if that happens you will cope and move forward. I think it's important for people to go into this knowing all the risks. You can't possibly predict everything that might happen. But what you can predict is "I WILL make it through this!"
  • What if I'm in a loophole and my addiction comes creeping back in and I don't lose weight- Yep, that could happen too but you'd have to work pretty hard at not losing anything. Don't drink sugared drinks, eat small, healthy meals, don't graze and you're golden. Find a support group or a good therapist to help you get to the bottom of your addiction. Fix the cause along with the sleeve and you should be healthy, mind body and soul! One thing my daughter is facing, food used to be comfort. She has to relearn everything and find other healthy ways to get comfort. (I suggest puppies! LOL kidding.)
  • What if I feel empty and scared- I may venture to ask, do you feel empty and scared now? Do you fill that emptiness with comfort food? Prepare yourself now by getting a healthy hobby like Yoga or cycling or swimming laps. Or even leisurely swims in the pool. Treat yourself other ways like...buying new clothes when you're down a few sizes. Also, the therapist thing might come in handy here too. :)

Bottom line. This isn't a magic wand, it's a tool to help you succeed where you may have had many failures before. You can do this!

• What if I'm in pain for months post-op - For the great majority, this doesn't happen. For some, it can. My daughter is one of the unlucky ones. But even with all this pain and nausea, I think she did the right thing. Continued unchecked, her health would have continued to go downhill. As others are saying, be positive! I'm saying even if that happens you will cope and move forward. I think it's important for people to go into this knowing all the risks. You can't possibly predict everything that might happen. But what you can predict is "I WILL make it through this!"
  • What if I'm in a loophole and my addiction comes creeping back in and I don't lose weight- Yep, that could happen too but you'd have to work pretty hard at not losing anything. Don't drink sugared drinks, eat small, healthy meals, don't graze and you're golden. Find a support group or a good therapist to help you get to the bottom of your addiction. Fix the cause along with the sleeve and you should be healthy, mind body and soul! One thing my daughter is facing, food used to be comfort. She has to relearn everything and find other healthy ways to get comfort. (I suggest puppies! LOL kidding.)
  • What if I feel empty and scared- I may venture to ask, do you feel empty and scared now? Do you fill that emptiness with comfort food? Prepare yourself now by getting a healthy hobby like Yoga or cycling or swimming laps. Or even leisurely swims in the pool. Treat yourself other ways like...buying new clothes when you're down a few sizes. Also, the therapist thing might come in handy here too. :)

Bottom line. This isn't a magic wand, it's a tool to help you succeed where you may have had many failures before. You can do this!

appreciate it xoxo

You can't live life based on shoulda, woulda, coulda. You have to poop or get off the pot.

I've had the same thoughts tangle my mind. We're both on this journey together and are having surgery on the same day. I suggest we check in with each other to talk about not the what if's but the what's going on now to help us keep ourselves focused on staying on track and overcoming the addiction. Accountability partners often help a lot! I'm happy to vent, experiment and journal this process with you if you'd like a cyber-twin going through the same process at the same time. Today I say we've got this. Five days to go before our new lives start for the better and I am so excited to get through the healing and on to the new world waiting. :D

From one who is only 3 weeks post op, and totally does NOT regret it.....I have faith that you will do great!