Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon requires us to have 100 grams of Protein each day. I'm just beginning my second week post-op, which is now full liquids. My program includes yogurt, cottage cheese, pudding, pureed Soups (no chunks), milk, Tomato juice, V8 juice, Protein smoothies, applesauce, and bananas.

Today it has been a struggle to get the 100 grams of protein, I added Protein powder to my 1/4 cup of yogurt to increase the protein content, and i DO NOT recommend it. It was disgusting. I've eaten more calories today than i have over the past week (833), just so I could get the protein in. We were told 600-800 calories are typical in the first two weeks.

On top of that, I made the mistake of weighing myself this morning, only to find that I *might* have lost 3 pounds... Feeling a little discouraged...

Anyone else struggling with dietary requirements? Protein? Calories? "Slow" weight loss?

Here's something that will ease your mind...you WILL NOT be able to get 100 grams of Protein in as early out as you are, especially on full liquids. It will be much easier when you start "real" food. Hell, I'm almost 8 months out and I still don't get 100 grams. I usually shoot for 70. You're sleeve is still super swollen right now, so just do the best you can and try not to stress so much! And stay off that scale for a while! Check it in a week or two and you will see weight loss. Sometimes fluids from surgery likes to hang on for a while and make it 'seem' like you're not losing. But you are ;)

I like the premium products the ready made bottles have 30 g of Protein each so I only need 2 to get me close(my Dr only requires 70g a day) the other protein were making me vomit. This was the only one I could keep down. It helped. You are still swollen and will see more weight loss you get your fluids in. Lots of Water. Lots. Stop weighing yourself. Wait till you go to the doctor for follow up.

You won't be able to get that much Protein right now. Gradually work up to it and try to make sure you are getting Protein before other items. Supplement with Protein drinks. I am not getting 800 calories at 3 weeks out and usually get about 90g of protein.

Thanks everyone.

Up until yesterday, I was able to get my 100 grams of Protein fairly easily (though that worries me too, I'm also aware that liquids pass through the sleeve quickly) and at around 500 calories. I, too, LOVE the premier products, We have like 3 cases of the chocolate and two cases of the vanilla. And my surgeon's office has some ProtiDiet products that have 15 grams of Protein at only 70 calories. I LOVE the chicken Soup.

I think I've been focused too much on trying to add things to my diet that I was putting the "new" foods before my protein... So, I think instead of trying to add the new foods, I'm going to try to get my protein in first, then, if there's time left in the day and I "feel" like it, I'll try new stuff later in the day. I can only get 1/2 a premier shake down at a time, and it's by sipping.

But I do notice that I'm sipping ALL DAY LONG! Whether it's on a Protein Shake, Water, crystal light, or Soup, it's pretty constant... Has anyone else noticed that?

Yes and it's annoying to be sipping all day long! Although im farther out than you (7 weeks) I figured out pretty early on I can easily glup Water with no problems. I can take about 4 big gulps of Water before I feel full and about 6 of tea or something else.

To help hit your high Protein requirement how about you look into GENEPRO Protein Powder. It's 30 grams of Protein but it's only a tablespoon for the serving which is great and it honestly doesn't taste like anything!! It will make whatever you mix it into cloudy but other than that it's great! And only 98 calories!!!

Good luck

I don't know... When I'm struggling with the 100 grams, I wonder about this too - which is a large reason why I posted here. My surgeon explained that our bodies need the Protein to heal and to ward off "starvation mode" where our bodies use muscle for energy. He said that when our bodies aren't getting enough Protein (such as eating a lot of carbs/fat and not enough protein), our bodies think that "life is bad" and it has to store as much as possible. In fact, he called me out regarding my first set of labs, saying that they came back indicating I was malnourished (not enough protein) and said that part of the reason I haven't lost weight in the past is because I wasn't getting enough protein. I couldn't argue... I mean, after all, when we diet, the most common is utilizing a calorie budget (like 1200-1600 calories per day). Well, salads are low-calorie... and so are a lot of carb-based foods... If you don't know to focus on protein, it's easy to not get enough protein.

I don't know if his perspective has anything to do with the difference in the amount of protein or not... :huh: