Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For anyone considering lapband.

Take this for what it is, just my personal thoughts and experiences but that being said, I had a lapband for 6 years, Iv had the sleeve for a year and a half and I worked for a bariatric surgeon for almost 7 years. I LOVED my band, I went from 223 to 139 lbs and I maintained around 145 for years ! However, in order to do that I had to keep the band very tight. I couldn't eat anything before noon or after 6 without pain and suffering. When my body had enough I had shoulder pain and chest pain and never just felt full. I was always dehydrated and ended up with kidney stones twice but i was happy to sacrifice because I was a size 6/8 for the first time in my life ! But live long enough that way and it causes problems (severe reflux) and just misery any time you eat or try too. Of the hundreds of patients Iv worked with over the years, very few (maybe 30/40% ) have kept off weight and been successful long term with the band. My surgeon started offering the sleeve and after years of "selling" the band to others (with my personal success as a witness) I asked him to revise me to the sleeve because everyone said how wonderful it was. Well for many it is but for me I hate mine. It's not always the same for someone who has had prior surgery so as I type this today, I have gained almost 20 lbs since the sleeve and it's a fight (that I'm losing) to not gain more. That being said, if I was starting as a virgin patient today; I would choose the sleeve or the mini gastric bypass (which I'm revising too). We didn't know enough about the band in 2007 when I had mine but we now know there are cases of it fusing to the liver or embedding in the stomach wall and the chances are if you go with the band you WILL at some point have a revision. We really don't have all that long term study on the sleeve and while I don't worry and complications, I do think it will be at risk for regain. Do your research, make your own decision but i at least wanted to share my story

Take this for what it is, just my personal thoughts and experiences but that being said, I had a lapband for 6 years, Iv had the sleeve for a year and a half and I worked for a bariatric surgeon for almost 7 years. I LOVED my band, I went from 223 to 139 lbs and I maintained around 145 for years ! However, in order to do that I had to keep the band very tight. I couldn't eat anything before noon or after 6 without pain and suffering. When my body had enough I had shoulder pain and chest pain and never just felt full. I was always dehydrated and ended up with kidney stones twice but i was happy to sacrifice because I was a size 6/8 for the first time in my life ! But live long enough that way and it causes problems (severe reflux) and just misery any time you eat or try too. Of the hundreds of patients Iv worked with over the years, very few (maybe 30/40% ) have kept off weight and been successful long term with the band. My surgeon started offering the sleeve and after years of "selling" the band to others (with my personal success as a witness) I asked him to revise me to the sleeve because everyone said how wonderful it was. Well for many it is but for me I hate mine. It's not always the same for someone who has had prior surgery so as I type this today, I have gained almost 20 lbs since the sleeve and it's a fight (that I'm losing) to not gain more. That being said, if I was starting as a virgin patient today; I would choose the sleeve or the mini gastric bypass (which I'm revising too). We didn't know enough about the band in 2007 when I had mine but we now know there are cases of it fusing to the liver or embedding in the stomach wall and the chances are if you go with the band you WILL at some point have a revision. We really don't have all that long term study on the sleeve and while I don't worry and complications, I do think it will be at risk for regain. Do your research, make your own decision but i at least wanted to share my story

I've been following your posts and I thank you for a new perspective. There are those on all 3 WLS forums who swear by their procedure and are happy as clams.

Your posts is a stark reminder that not all WLS works the same for all people. Just go to the complication forums for each. There are no guarantees.

I have an unfilled band (got in 2008, unfilled in 2009), was considering the sleeve but decided against it for many reasons. I hate my band and hated it from the beginning. It never did one thing for me in terms of weight loss, reaching satiety, but it did cause shoulder pain, pressure & pain and getting stuck.

When you get WLS it is a crap shoot. Will you be the one who says - it was a breeze, little pain, losing weight fast, everything's great? Or the one who says - I have a leak, am in the hospital with abscess, on IV feeding, or I have chronic Constipation or diarrhea or worsening GERD. For those who have amazing results, see 100 or more pounds lost, comorbidities disappear - they are willing to put up with the problems or side effects. Their life has improved more than it has deteriorated.

I am 64, the surgeon says I could lose up to 45 pounds with the sleeve but there would be no NSAIDS for life (I have arthritis and chronic back problems) with possible increased GERD. I don't believe the benefits outweigh the risks in my case.

I, too, would never suggest the band to anyone. I always hated mine. But I also wouldn't give a blanket endorsement to the sleeve. It is still new and remember when everyone was big on the band before we knew then what we know now? Who is to say what the long term case is with the sleeve?

I think your post shows that there are always two sides to WLS and they aren't always both good.

I am so sorry you have had such problems. I have been (happily) banded for nine years but have seen others banded around the same time having serious complications and for some, like you, removal. Equally, as you say, I know many people totally happy with their sleeve but a good friend of mine has had her whole life turned upside down by hers and has simply had to accept that this is her life from now on.

All surgery carries risks and I am always concerned when people rush into it without real knowledge. Your post is a good reminder to those looking into surgery - it may not be what they hope.

Please don't take this amiss if I just add one thing. Banded people cannot remove all risk. But they can minimise it. And the main way of doing that is by never keeping the band so tight that it physically prevents us eating or causes pain. If either if these things s happening, food is backing up into the oesophagus which can lead to oesophageal dilation or dysmotiliy or damage to the vagus nerve. Nothing is worth that!

@@Band07

Thanks for sharing your story. I've had my band since 2009, and never had any band caused problems. I always try to take notes when someone such as yourself (a lapband veteran) explains their problems/experiences, to try and learn from them. And to prevent any issues of my own! :)

You state you were "always dehydrated"....was this because you physically couldn't take in enough fluids?

You asked your surgeon to revise you from band to sleeve BECAUSE of reflux issues?

Has the reflux changed since revision?

Did your surgeon monitor you, using fluoroscopy, while you had your band?

Thanks again for sharing your story,

Best wishes

I am so sorry you have had such problems. I have been (happily) banded for nine years but have seen others banded around the same time having serious complications and for some, like you, removal. Equally, as you say, I know many people totally happy with their sleeve but a good friend of mine has had her whole life turned upside down by hers and has simply had to accept that this is her life from now on.

All surgery carries risks and I am always concerned when people rush into it without real knowledge. Your post is a good reminder to those looking into surgery - it may not be what they hope.

Please don't take this amiss if I just add one thing. Banded people cannot remove all risk. But they can minimise it. And the main way of doing that is by never keeping the band so tight that it physically prevents us eating or causes pain. If either if these things s happening, food is backing up into the oesophagus which can lead to oesophageal dilation or dysmotiliy or damage to the vagus nerve. Nothing is worth that!

It us true and in the last few years thankfully the new way of thinking at my office was stay as loose as possible and still lose as opposed to the 3 bite tight mentality that i was banded under.

I was really lucky in that, even back in 2006, my doctor taught me what is now the current aporoach. Not many did then!

@@Band07

Thanks for sharing your story. I've had my band since 2009, and never had any band caused problems. I always try to take notes when someone such as yourself (a lapband veteran) explains their problems/experiences, to try and learn from them. And to prevent any issues of my own! :)

You state you were "always dehydrated"....was this because you physically couldn't take in enough fluids?

You asked your surgeon to revise you from band to sleeve BECAUSE of reflux issues?

Has the reflux changed since revision?

Did your surgeon monitor you, using fluoroscopy, while you had your band?

Thanks again for sharing your story,

Best wishes

I'm not sure about the liquids for some reason Iv never been a big drinker of anything so the band just increased what was already a struggle with the whole don't drink and eat thing and wait 30 mins.

I didn't revise only because of reflux, It was managed with Prilosec well enough but more so because of just sick of the whole lifestyle that came with the band. Yes I could have loosened or unfilled but only with weight gain. Iv not had even a slight bit of reflux since removing the band but I also had a hiatal hernia repair during the revision. I had many barium swallows over the years since I worked in the surgeons office, a few dilated pouches that I would refill for about a month to correct but they never fully corrected. My esophagus is still dilated even in my recent X-rays.

@@Band07

Was your esophagus dilated because of having a tight band? My most recent upper GI (February) showed that my band is in place, everything looks okay, slight esophageal dysmotility. I can eat most anything (bread is still sometimes a problem) but must eat slowly, don't drink at meals and sometimes still get pressure, pain and left shoulder pain.

I always have concern about increased GERD and Barrett's esophagus with the sleeve and band. Though the risk is small going from Barrett's to esophageal cancer - it still is a difficult cancer to treat.

My husband, who didn't have WLS, suffered from GERD, then Barrett's and had yearly endoscopies in a "wait and see" approach. He went from NO dysplasia one year to esophageal cancer the next. Clearly the "wait and see" approach is a failed method. They removed his esophagus, pulled up his stomach to make a new one, had no node involvement but 11 months later it was in his liver and terminal. He died the following year at a young age.

I remember my second doctor (I left my first doctor who was an idiot*) said that so many of his patients kept asking for more and more fill to lose weight with the band. That is a very bad decision anatomically and medically. Causes too many problems long term.

*you can read about this on this forum about my weight loss journey.

@@Band07

Was your esophagus dilated because of having a tight band? My most recent upper GI (February) showed that my band is in place, everything looks okay, slight esophageal dysmotility. I can eat most anything (bread is still sometimes a problem) but must eat slowly, don't drink at meals and sometimes still get pressure, pain and left shoulder pain.

I always have concern about increased GERD and Barrett's esophagus with the sleeve and band. Though the risk is small going from Barrett's to esophageal cancer - it still is a difficult cancer to treat.

My husband, who didn't have WLS, suffered from GERD, then Barrett's and had yearly endoscopies in a "wait and see" approach. He went from NO dysplasia one year to esophageal cancer the next. Clearly the "wait and see" approach is a failed method. They removed his esophagus, pulled up his stomach to make a new one, had no node involvement but 11 months later it was in his liver and terminal. He died the following year at a young age.

I remember my second doctor (I left my first doctor who was an idiot*) said that so many of his patients kept asking for more and more fill to lose weight with the band. That is a very bad decision anatomically and medically. Causes too many problems long term.

I'm SO sorry to hear about your husband, that must have been terrible for you.

Yes, I'm sure my dilated esophagus was from keeping the band too tight for so many years. I hate that Iv gained weight but I don't miss the band at all.

Have you looked into the MGB ? I never ever thought I would consider it but I haven't read a single negative thing about it ..

@@Band07

I'm SO sorry to hear about your husband, that must have been terrible for you.

Yes, I'm sure my dilated esophagus was from keeping the band too tight for so many years. I hate that Iv gained weight but I don't miss the band at all.

Have you looked into the MGB ? I never ever thought I would consider it but I haven't read a single negative thing about it ..

Thank you. Losing my husband was the heartbreak of my life and even after 10 years it is enormously painful. The medical community failed him at every point. He had a fundoplication when he was 32 and that failed (it was major open surgery then, not laproscopic) and when PPI's came out he went right on them, but it didn't stop the damage.

Is there a good site to get information about the MGB? I worry about absorption of Vitamins and minerals. And dumping. I take several prescription drugs - the most important being Synthroid. And I don't like the idea of taking constipating Iron for life. My surgeon said I could lose as much as 45 pounds with the sleeve. I'm not sure I want to go through everything for that. I am under 200 lbs. now. Additionally, nothing medically improved when I lost weight with the band - particularly my chronic back problems which actually got worse. It is my back and not my weight that limits what I can do in life.

Are you still considering the MGB?

Thanks for your reply.

I'm scheduled for MGB on 4/23. From what Iv read dumping is well controlled with proper diet and as long as you keep up on Vitamins and Protein shouldn't have any issues with that either. There is a board here under other procedures that has some good info.

Reading this thread with interest.

If I had to do it all over again...I don't know what I'd do. I remember my first year with the band...steady losses, felt so good, no complications. I kept saying "Flowers for Algernon?" to my friends because it just seemed too good to be true. You know, hunger dimmed, energy up, liberated from the diet mentality.

But you can't mess with one body part without upsetting the entire system, imho.

After one year, complications set in, most recently heart arrythmia and pace problems. Band-related? I'll never get a doctor to confirm or deny. But I'm sure they are, due to the involvement of the vagus nerve. My first episodes of AFib would begin after a few small bites of food, triggered by the food passing through the band (and the band sitting on the vagus nerve). Now: beta blockers and other meds for life. This is not what I had planned when I opted for WLS.

I did months of research on my WLS and my surgeon. I did not go into this lightly. I consider myself one of the most-informed and compliant patients around. But when one falls on the wrong side of the statistics, the statistics don't matter. It isn't about risk or benefit, because it is really black or white. Unfortunately now I'm on the black side.

Hindsight is always 20/20. I loved my band before it brought on other issues. Now? I wonder if this is going to turn out to be one of the worst decisions of my life. The meds I have to stay on have side effects that affect my quality of life, so much so that I can't even enjoy the weight loss I did have until this all happened.

I would not do another WLS, that's certain. I am now convinced that the body needs to function as a whole, and I have no intention of adding or subtracting anything else to it.

@@parisshel

I think the most important thing you said is that when one falls on the wrong side of statistics, the statistics don't matter.

That is why I say all WLS is a crap shoot. If they are all 99% successful with no complications and you are in the 1% - it hardly matters, does it? And there are no guarantees which one you'll be.

@@Cleo's Mom: Right. Oh, and let me add that I ALWAYS kept my band loose. (You can see my numbers in my signature). I was a firm believer in wanting to have "somewhere to go" when I sensed less satiety. So my complications were not triggered by a too-tight band. I wanted to keep my band for as long as possible, so I never opted for the too-tight/fast weight loss track. I was slow and steady, very regular losses with no pb or vomiting issues.