Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When does the weight loss start?

Have you tested your theory by cutting out the sugar free stuff?

I am starting to test that theory today. I'll keep your posted

I tried sugar free ice cream and I started dumping big time.

I tried it three times, just to be sure. :)

Yep. It definitely was the ice cream.

Breyer's sugar free vanilla.< /p>

You're whining about not losing but you're eating ice cream?!? It should be all about Protein, veggies and Water at this point for you, not ice cream and margaritas.

Unfortunately it sounds like you were given very unrealistic expectations and were not properly informed about how much work and commitment WLS really is.

I lost 42 lbs in the 6 months prior to surgery on March 24, 2015. I saw my surgeon 2 weeks after surgery and he set a goal of 35 lbs by my next visit in 3 months. This is now mid May and I've only lost 9 lbs since surgery. I've been stuck now for weeks and I'm so disappointed. Im logging myfitnesspal everyday, im going to the gym everyday, I don't get it! The only thing I can think of is I'm eating sugar free foods and I've suspected in recent years that sugar substitutes prevented me from losing weight. Any ideas?

Are you reaching your Protein and Water goals everyday?

Eight weeks post op today.

I'm living on chicken nuggets, Atkins bars, and Protein shakes.

I'm losing about two pounds a week now without too much fuss.

It's been a learning curve with this new body. I can't eat tortillas or lettuce without throwing up. Anything that says "sugar free" causes dumping.

I'm slowly wrapping my brain around this new life. At this point, I would still back out if it were possible. Just not enough return on the effort.

chicken nuggets? Most chicken nuggets contain fillers that might surprise you, and its not lean chicken.

I am seven months out and have lost 130 pounds since surgery. The most important thing I have learned from this experience is that being disciplined to a very structured way of eating is difficult in the beginning and can be exhausting at times. However, it definitely pays off. You get use to it and eventually realize how out of control and problematic your old way of eating really was.

I still enjoy eating with the family and get togethers. My food choices are wiser and now are more planned. If I am going out for more than 3 hours, I know that I need to take something with me (Protein shake, turkey sticks, jurkey, yogurt) so that I don't get too hungry and eat something I shouldn't (like my child's leftover chicken nuggets).

7 weeks postop. I'm eating the required 800 calories per day. 70 - 80 grams of Protein, and drowning in Water. I'm still at a stand still in the scale. It's got to give up sometime! Hopefully soon!

Eight weeks post op today.

I'm living on chicken nuggets, Atkins bars, and Protein shakes.

I'm losing about two pounds a week now without too much fuss.

It's been a learning curve with this new body. I can't eat tortillas or lettuce without throwing up. Anything that says "sugar free" causes dumping.

I'm slowly wrapping my brain around this new life. At this point, I would still back out if it were possible. Just not enough return on the effort.

How about eating some real food? Lean Protein (fish,chicken,lean ground beef) and steamed veggies? Maybe eggs for Breakfast and lean meat and veggies the rest of the day? Just make sure the veggies are steamed well to be soft enough for your tummy.

You're not eating properly. Do you have a nutritionist you can consult with to help you make better choices? I really think eating real food besides bars and chicken nuggets may help with the weight loss. Besides just being more nutritious for you.

As you are learning,surgery isn't a magic solution to losing weight. You've got to do the work, also. And by work I mean spending some time learning about proper nutrition to maximize your weight loss and stay as healthy as possible with the little amount of food you get.

I've found that sonic has a kids "mini" nugget that's just about the right size if I eat slow. I can eat 3 chick-Fil-a nuggets, on the fourth one I puke.

I can't eat any sort of beef unless it's a small portion of ground hamburger. I tried eating a bit of beef from my wife's fajita and puked it up right away. The funny thing is, I ate about 3oz of beef Jerky last night and was just fine.

I haven't tried a carrot yet, but lettuce, and Beans have both caused me to puke. I'm afraid to eat anything else green. I'm sick of puking.

Anyway. The scale has started to slowly move. I lost 36 pounds pre-op and in my 8 weeks since surgery I've lost an additional 16. (Not nearly the 40-60 I was told to expect.. Maybe they were including the pre-op)

Edited by faxxy

What about fish? I practically live off of baked, smoked, or grilled salmon, tuna, and talapia. Three to four ounces of fish typically provides about 20 grams of Protein.< /p>

We did some tilapia with a homemade ginger sauce a week ago and it sat pretty well. Salmon sounds divine. I'm going to have to try that.

We are currently on vacation in the Gulf of Mexico. We plan to return with at least 40 pounds of fresh shrimp. :)

We did some tilapia with a homemade ginger sauce a week ago and it sat pretty well. Salmon sounds divine. I'm going to have to try that.

We are currently on vacation in the Gulf of Mexico. We plan to return with at least 40 pounds of fresh shrimp. :)

Honestly, shrimp was the first Protein that went down the best for me. It sat really well in my sleeve with no problems.. I can totally understand the beef....I still have a hard time with it and I'm 9 months out.

Faxxy- I'm a little over a year out from surgery (April 2014) and I want to give you a glimmer of hope that things do get better. I really don't feel like I've had the surgery at all at this point. I'm living life at goal weight and I'm able to eat/consume any drink and beverage I want (just in smaller quantities.). Now with that being said, my tastes have changed post-surgery. I no longer want or desire soda. I get sick at the thought of eating a sandwich or a lot of bread products. My lifestyle has changed over the past year. For some reason this process was easy for me.

I have to be honest, when I read your post and your follow up responses, I was reminded why some fail after weight Loss surgery. This tool requires that you make lifestyle changes. I'm going to give you a little tough love and I hope you know my heart is in the right place because I want you to be one of the successful statistics. If sonic fast-food chicken nuggets is your idea of a great Protein source, than we have a problem. None of us can continue to do what we were doing up to this point. You must re-train yourself to make healthier lifestyle choices. In the early stages after surgery, it is tough. It's hard to eat a lot of things. Trust me, this stage is really, really short lived. There WILL come a time when you CAN eat and drink anything as you get further out from your surgery date. This is where the danger lurks. You will either 1) stop losing any weight or 2) gain back any weight you lost if you continue old destructive lifestyle patterns.

I know the first few months post-surgery are hard... But the 6 months post surgery are when you have the opportunity to lose the greatest amount of weight. Work it while you can!!! You can do it. You have a whole online community here to support you! ????

Edited by Bluesea71

At eight weeks you are trying things that I don't have on my plan until 3 months out in some cases. What does your NUT say? And, as I asked before, are you reaching your Protein and Water goals?

Sorry ISG, I thought you were asking someone else that.

I get (something like) 65 grams of Protein in my morning shake. I use a Pure Protein Shake mix, but instead of milk, I use a pre-made Protein Shake and double the amount of Protein in the shake.

After that, it's just whatever I get from other sources.

Water is a funny thing with me. I had a personal trainer in 2000 who told me I should be drinking two gallons of Water every day. It stuck with me because I've been doing it for fifteen years. It may be all in my head, but if I don't get it, I don't feel right.