Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

reactive hypoglycemia (reoccurring low blood sugar)

Here is an web site on bariatrics and reactive hypoglycemia (reoccurring low blood sugar)

http://pamtremble.blogspot.com/2010/10/reactive-hypoglycemia-after-bariatric.html.

Since I have lost the majority of my weight. My blood sugars have been hitting mind numbing lows in the 50's. I found some resources that have information on diet to manage blood sugar levels.

Examples of meals and Snacks that work well for stabilizing blood sugar include:

• lowfat cheese and whole grain crackers
  • slice of whole grain toast with peanut butter
  • sandwich made with whole grain bread
  • fat free plain Greek yogurt with a small piece of fruit or 1/2 cup berries
  • large salad with abundant veggies and a source of Protein (chicken, tuna, Beans, egg)

Keeping a food and lifestyle diary may help you determine which foods and other factors lead up to a blood sugar crash.

First and foremost, you want to follow a diet designed to regulate your blood sugar level. This generally includes eating small, frequent meals spaced evenly throughout the day, such as every 2-3 hours. Meals should consist of moderate portions of high-fiber whole grains (such as 100% whole grain Cereal or bread, brown rice, whole wheat Pasta, quinoa, sweet potato), some lean protein (such as turkey, ham, fish, egg, beans, lowfat yogurt or cheese), and healthy fat (such as nuts, nut butters, olive oil, avocado).

Sugars, especially in the form of beverages (juice, soda, etc.) and sweets (candy, jelly, table sugar, Syrup, honey, Cookies, cakes), should be avoided as much as possible, as they stimulate the pancreas the most because the sugar rushes into your bloodstream rapidly. Starchy carbohydrates digest down into sugar as well, so it is important to eat these in moderate amounts

Starchy carbohydrates digest down into sugar as well, so it is important to eat these in moderate amounts (such as 1/2-1 cup), and choose whole grains over refined flours. White pasta, rices, breads, and cereals are more or less guaranteed to make you feel lousy after eating them as they are digested quickly and raise insulin levels. Fruits also need to be consumed in small amounts, as they contain the natural sugar, fructose, and are best consumed with a source of protein, such as cottage cheese or nuts. Even though fruits are an excellent source of Fiber, the sugar content is enough to cause your pancreas to over-react if eaten on an empty stomach. The goal is essentially to not eat carbohydrate foods without including a source of protein or fat at the same time. Proteins and fat help stabilize blood sugars by making the carbohydrate digest more slowly, as proteins and fats take longer to digest and do not convert into significant amounts of sugar.

Strenuous exercise burns sugar out of your muscles and bloodstream quickly, so you may be more prone to low blood sugar during extended periods of activity as well. Eating a snack contain a small amount of carbohydrate and protein (such as yogurt or trail mix) within 1 hour of strenuous activity may be enough to keep you going strong.

Developing a habit of eating small, frequent meals and taking healthy foods with you for work, school, and when on-the-go, is your best weapon against suffering the symptoms of low blood sugar. If you find incorporating the above suggestions is still not improving your symptoms, you may need to sit down with a dietitian to develop a personalized meal plan to meet your schedule, food preferences, and overall lifestyle needs. Contact your dietician for more information. There is no point in living day-in and day-out with symptoms of hypoglycemia when there is a common sense way to tackle the issue and regain your quality of life!

Thank you!!!! All things "I know", but glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue!

I just had to grin when I read "large salad". That used to be at least four cups. Now that I am 15 months post-sleeve, a large salad is 3/4 cup!

@@Restoration15 - do you still regret it now? It has been two months now and by now most are back on track. Is your hypoglycemia under control now?

jane

Yes I do! I got the surgery in march 2014 and I have been in constant starvation mode. No weight loss...this was the worst thing I could have ever done to my body. I work out eat right and still nothing...

Hypoglycemia is on track because I had to eat alot of fat and carbs to get it there because of low blood sugar and now a ton of weight gain. This surgery is NOT for everyone and I say that unapologetically

@ restoration15. Surgery not for everyone. Hope you are keeping in touch with your Dr.

Thanks for reinforcing what I already know, but don't always think about now that hypoglycemia is an occasional issue. Now that I'm a little more than 1 year post-op, I think I'd rather deal with the occasional hypoglycemic episode than to be on diabetic meds. Last A1C was 5.6.

Starting in December I have been battling fatigue, headaches, and dizziness. A few bouts of hypoglycemia and now I have a glucose meter for the first time in my life.

I am not going to lie to you or myself. I know what happened. Cookies, subs, pizza, carbs/starches have crept into my diet. I don't gain weight but I have made myself extremely unhealthy. I told myself I could live a little and go back to behaving after the first of the year.

So now I sit here with no energy, past my goal weight loss and not able to walk the 4 miles I was walking before this started.

One thing I have learned is it is easier to diet than it is to maintain.

But today I am getting real with myself and gonna be more accountable for my actions. If you are going through this, really look at your behaviors.

Edited by WildGrits

My husband had terrible low blood sugars before the sleeve - and numerous ambulance rides unconscious. None since, except for Ketoacidosis2 years after the sleeve. I am thankful for the sleeve and the stabilization of his blood sugar. I am thankful for his life.

I have had a bit of issues with low blood sugar. Been working it out with adding a few more Snacks to keep it in check it's not horribly bad but I went from borderline diabetic to all the other way to fighting with low blood sugar.I haven't gained any weight changing my eating habits a bit... adding a lil more sugars and a tiny bit of carbs. I lost my weight with eating no carbs at all... the only carb i get is from Powerade gatorade... I still struggle to drink regular Water I get the nausea can get about half a bottle before it makes me feel sick to my tummy. I hear it will fade I hope so.. Cos I like water.. I don't and can't regret this surgery as i am healthier not gonna die too young leave my kids behind... I wish I had done it sooner... it's hard work... not an easy way out like I have heard some people say... I weigh out my 4 ounces no matter what I eat... and its working... for the lady having blood sugar issues and no weight loss... I wonder if you could make two ounce meals smaller through the ay where you would still be getting the Protein you need and a small carb to balance you out... I know it's hard but it is worth it