Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Travel after sleeve.

New to this site and hope I'm posting in the correct section.

IF everything goes as planned(jumping through insurance hoops) I should get sleeved mid July. Just found out today that my daughter will be going to college in Hawaii. We live in Louisiana. She will have to get there mid August. My concern is that I will still not be eating regular food by that point. Concerned about all of the travel time with lack of ability to get the right nutrition. Also, I'm thinking there will be some general labor in getting her set up. Will I have the strength to help her? (I REALLY want to go...lol....you know.....to see my daughter off.....in Hawaii.....)

I would call the airlines to see what the policy is on taking Protein Shakes with you. They may have suggestions for you. Also, ask your surgical team when you will be on soft foods, regular foods...getting a food schedule now (assuming all goes well with your recovery) may help you plan for this. Ask the airlines if having a Doctor's note will enable you to take your Protein shakes with you. If you are on soft foods, you might ask if taking pudding/gelatin cups with you is ok. Ask your Dr. if they will let you have the pudding/gelatin while on the full-liquid stage. Lots of questions, huh?! Let us know how you handle all of this, and what the airlines tell you/allow you to do. I'm sure there are many who will benefit from your experiences. As for helping in moving, BE CAREFUL!!!! You will just have had major surgery, where no heavy lifting will be allowed, especially if they repair a hernia (often done) during the surgery. Again, ask you Doctor about this, it is imperative! Good luck to you, and HAVE FUN in Hawaii....I'm envious!

You will be a month post-op you should be fine. I wouldn't do any heavy lifting or anything, you can just supervise :) as far as nutrition what will your stage be at that point? Purée? You can find things in the airport like hummus, pudding, yogurt ect..I take nursing contracts In Hawaii (Oahu) once you get there they have tons of food you can find something to fit your diet.

One other thing to consider is the amount of time you will be sitting on your flight. You will need to get up and move around frequently to keep your blood flowing properly. I have heard of people developing blood clots in their legs from long flights. You might ask your doctor about a blood thinner.

I traveled shortly after my procedure, from the US to Turkey! I just brought Protein powder in my carry-on, and bought a shaker with lid, so I could mix my own Protein drinks on the go. I was transitioning from full liquids to the mushy foods phase...and while it was all new/different, I didn't find it so hard to find something I could eat, wherever we went. I think you'll be fine!!

As for heavy lifting, I would avoid that...but I think you'll be able to be active enough to help with small stuff.

Have fun and good luck! exciting!