Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who you gonna tell....Ghostbusters!

I'm eagerly awaying my final insurance approval and surgery date and I'm wondering who I should tell about my surgery? I've told the immediate people that I work with and my family, but what about further than that? Part of me thinks that it would be too embarrassing and another part of me thinks that people will, by in large, be supportive. I rationalize that the embarrassment will move me along because the more people who know about the surgery, the more people I will have urging me on. I don't want shame to be any part of my motiviation though. I can use all of the support I can get, but I don't want to be a compliment seeker either. I've got 200 lbs to lose so my change will be drastically obvious and I'm sure I'll get questions or comments eventually. I plan to be completely honest and forthcoming to anyone who asks.

What has your experience been with communicating your and would you reccomend it? Social media announcement? Photos tracking your progress? Would you do it the same way today?

Does anyone have an experience or ideas for a fun way to tell friends that you haven't seen in a while?

I tell everyone. I am proud of my decision and want the world to know. This isn't about them it's about LIFE. I want to live as long as possible. We did not get here without trying every diet and exercise program out there. This is a hard decision to make and it is something I embrace with 100% genuine excitment. If people don't like it they can kick rocks on down the road.

I have been open and honest with the people around me that matter the most to me (hope that makes sense). For those around me that are just acquaintances, i haven't said anything, however if they ask, i will let them know. Having said all that, i lost my job a month before my surgery last year. I have taken time off to recover and re-charge as i also had my gallbladder removed 3 months after my sleeve. In total i have been unemployed for 6 months, i just started looking for work last week. I went for an interview on Monday, and the company is very keen to have me join them, however it dawned on me that no one there knew me when i was huge at 383lbs, no one there knows i had problems walking for so many years, no one knows i have Lymphoedema and all i could wear on my feet were flip flops as all other forms of shoes were painful, no one knows I've had WLS! Do i tell them? Does it affect the way that i can work? No! Im at a crossroad and really don't think i should, as i can now walk without any assistance, i fit into a chair comfortably, my Lymphoedema is almost non existent and i can wear normal shoes!! I personally don't think i want to advertise it, should something happen, then and only then will i share that info.

Best of luck to you with whatever you decide to do, i wish i was in your shoes as i would love to tell the whole world, but reality kicks in and tells me that for me that's probably not a wise decision.

I lost more than 150 lbs. I suspect most people..women in particular, figured I had surgery. I don't lie, but I don't provide full disclosure either. It sort of depends on who asks. If it's someone who is honestly interested because they are struggling with weight issues, I tell. If it's someone who's nosy, I tell a version of the truth by saying I am watching what I eat and exercising.

A former coworker I hadn't seen in quite a while recently asked me how I lost all the weight and I initially told her diet and exercise but she pressed me and asked if I had WLS. She kept saying she needed to lose weight which was ridiculous...she looked perfectly normal. But I finally said I had surgery as I knew she wasn't being mean...in her culture, there is no subtlety...it's just all out there and I know she wasn't aware that she was being inappropriate.

I chalked it up to Cathy being Cathy and since we don't work together anymore, I let it go. Once you have the surgery and start losing, you'll figure out the best thing for you to do about revealing what you did to get the weight off.

I told five people. I told a few more later on. You can't untell.

You know, I never intended to tell people about it, as so many seem to think if you don't have a lot of weight to lose, you shouldn't do it. I started at 232lbs, but my diabetes was getting out of control, and nothing else was working, so I did it. And I find myself telling people that I had the surgery, and for one major reason: hopefully I can pass on that having this surgery reduces if not STOPS the diabetes, thus giving a person a much better quality of life. It stopped my diabetes; no more meds, I only test once a week, no more shots..... AWESOME!!! The word NEEDS to get out, and hopefully help others with diabetes. So I tell all who would be interested, and especially all who I know already have diabetes.

I told my closest circle of friends and family in the beginning that I was going to do it before I had it done. Now, 88lbs down many people ask me and I openly disclose that I had WLS. I do this because I had so many comorbidities that are completely resolved and I want people to know that this surgery can literally save your life. I am proud of what I have accomplished. And I am more proud of our medical community that made it possible.

I don't worry about those that talk behind my back, mostly because they are not worth it and I have a think skin. Everyone. Have told is super supportive!

Sorry about the type errors, I was afraid the page was going to reload and erase my work. Ugh!

I had surgery two days ago. I wasn't sure at first about telling people. But I have told EVERYONE (mostly because I was so excited)! I was surprised at how supportive everyone was. I got tons of hugs and prayers from my friends and coworkers. I have received so many texts to find out how I am feeling and my bunco friends left a gift basket full of lotions, candles, etc. at my house so it was there when I got home from hospital

I am glad I didn't keep it to myself.