Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Sleeve, its nice to meet you

I would like to take the time to discuss this issue. I am not eating soft foods and it is taking me some time to get to know my sleeve. I get full in the blink of an eye and I am trying to learn to eat slower. I know all the things i need to do. ie...Smaller bites, chew chew chew and slow slow slow. Trying to reprogram my 32 year old brain is going to have to be a conscience effort of which I have yet to master the art of being a reformed foodie. Any how. I wanted to see if you had this same issue and also the phisical side of eating too much and what it does to you. I dont mind if you are graphic with your description because I am sure it is the same gross stuff that is happening to me.

I meant i am now eating soft foods. Sorry. Typo.

One bite too much and I am miserable for an hour. I can't do anything. I have to lay on the couch with my eyes closed, or bring up the last few bites, and that is not an ideal option. I get nauseous, but can't take an anti-nausea pill - there is no room. Drinking Water makes me puke, and because I have an endocrine-kidney disorder, this is bad news. (I actually have permission to drink Water during meals).

Too much fat too fast? It feels like I am dying. I get hot, sweaty, shaky, nauseous. I can't function, and there is nothing I can do. I have to lay down and rest. I tried ice cream on my birthday and I was sick for 2 hours. My doctor says it's not dumping syndrome - it's just that my body is not used to fat anymore and freaks out when it gets too much. This developed slowly over time (4 months out), but now I can't drink milk that isn't skim.

I'm a pukey person in general, so even 4 months out, I puke a lot (yes my surgeon knows). And all it takes is one, brief session of puking, and my stomach swells up, making me very uncomfortable. It then becomes hard to eat and sometimes even swallow, leading to a cycle of throwing up meals that I then have to break. You do NOT want to get your sleeve swollen. It feels awful when you eat your next few meals. The only thing that helps besides ibuprofen (which is not allowed) is drinking hot water. I just sit there and slowly drink mug after mug of hot water. This helps with my hydration issues, sure, but is a slow method. A swollen stomach reduces me to teeny tiny sips, just like the early days. It sucks.

Well eating to much will hurt. I have a built in signal before I get full I have a weird burp combined with a hiccup and I know it's time to stop. If your not sure when and you don't want to chance it weigh your food out a couple of at a time. Eat that then just stop and if your hungry still after 30-45 mins eat a little more until you figure out your happy place.

One bite too much and I am miserable for an hour. I can't do anything. I have to lay on the couch with my eyes closed, or bring up the last few bites, and that is not an ideal option.

Try walking the stairs. Seriously. It will help you burp, it will help your stomach muscles contract and it will get things moving. I am the queen of puking and overfilling as I have a stricture and trust me, I know misery. Walking helps, walking the stairs helps even more.

Oh wow that's a process. So throwing up swells your stomach? I wonder if this happens in general, does it?

Yeah, pretty much anytime anybody throws up their stomach gets at least a little swollen, but it's not really noticeable when you still have the stretchiest part of you stomach, and your stomach is not located entirely behind your sternum. It's less noticeable the less you throw up and it also relates to how violently you throw up. I rarely throw up violently. I can't remember the last time I threw up an entire meal, usually it's a few tablespoons or some liquid, and it's a bit more like coughing food up than actually vomiting - I would have to try to empty my whole stomach, and I would not do that voluntarily. It' still unpleasant though.

Let's see, the last time I threw up was Tuesday night - raw sugar snap peas were SOOOO delicious but I ate them too fast, so back up a tablespoon or two they came. Eating my Protein first means I almost never throw up much Protein. I am due for my period, so my body is on inflammatory high alert, which means that the swelling was worse than normal, it stuck around at least a little bit through last night. This morning seems okay though. Laying flat for long periods of time (ie sleeping) makes it worse, so I sleep propped up.

Thanks so much for the info gal! I'm on day 9 post op and keep my fingers crossed, I have not thrown up. I will to rally remember your post... ????