Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Former Bandsters Make Me Feel Better!

I am relatively new here. Sorry that this is so long. I am starting the process of revision. I met with my surgeon who is great and told him that I wanted the band removed and probably convert to sleeve. I was extremely successful with the band and lost 100% of my excess body weight about 8 years ago and maintained for 3 years. I had two babies and due to severe morning sickness had to take 1/2 the Fluid out my band for each. For the first pregnancy I gained a ton of weight (70lbs) but lost all of it but 20lbs within a year before I got pregnant again. After the second baby (3 years ago) I have not been able to lose weight at all. I am now almost up to my pre-surgery weight. I have been struggling with the past 2 years with fills - my upper GI showed mild enlarged esophagus which returned to normal when fill was removed. Bottom line I realize now that the only way that the band worked for me so well was when it was extremely tight and it controlled my hunger. I don't think that this was o healthily and I don't think I can do this anymore without irritating and enlarging my esophagus. I prefer the sleeve over the bypass because I think restriction works well for me. I asked my surgeon about the esophagus problem and he said that it was being caused by the band and should not be a problem with the sleeve since my enlargement is very mild. I had an endoscopy and the GI doctor said the same thing - that I am in good shape and there is no reason for me not to have the surgery. Can someone explain to me why you do not get an enlarged esophagus with the sleeve? I do not understand the mechanics and I don't have another appointment with the surgeon for a month. Also can someone explain what it feels like to be full with the sleeve? With the band I got a painful feeling. When my esophagus was enlarging I was able to eat a lot and it sort of felt like it was in my throat. Does this happen with the sleeve? I am worried that I am "used" to the feeling of food in my throat and the sleeve will not work for me. I am probably being neurotic here! I want to state also that I completely trust my surgeon and he is world renowned at a top teaching hospital in NY. I just want to understand how this works! The surgeon said the sleeve is the way to go for me over the bypass.

Thanks!

If I eat too fast I get a feeling similar to the stuck feeling but it's different. I can't describe it. It happened twice, I ran to the bathroom and slightly dry heaved and I was fine. With the band, I would be pacing for 10 minutes and then would dry heave. When I'm FULL, I feel slightly nauseous instead of the feeling of the food stuck in your throat like it is with the band. I still get anxiety eating with people because I'm still afraid from all those stuck episodes I had with the band. I'm only 2 months out , I know there are others who have been very successful with the sleeve and will give you some great feedback

As far as the esophagus, there is no band at the bottom tightening it

Thank you LSF! This makes me feel better. Your esophagus explanation makes sense and I think this is what the surgeon said.

@LSF I have leftover band issues too, LOL! I have a Protein drink every morning, because I am so afraid to try to eat something solid in the mornings... 9 years of hit and miss breakfasts that often/usually ended up in sliming and vomiting. I am almost a month post op and have decided that I will try a scrambled egg in the morning.

Edited by liannatx