Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Working out matters - views from a veteran

I used exercise to help me get to goal. I had quite a bit to lose, so felt I needed "everything" to attain my health and weight goals. Well, I did better than I dared dream - hitting my goal over 2 years ago.

For a variety of reasons, I have backed off on intense exercise over the last 6+ months and Saturdays shopping trip was quite an eye opener.

At the same weight, I wear 1-2 pant sizes bigger than I did when I was working our regularly. Worse than that, the gain in inches seems to be mostly in my waist, so I am losing that "younger shape" and getting the middle aged thicker waist look. yikes! Well, I am middle aged, but I am fitting the thick waist as long as I can. My arms no longer get that - wow, you have beautiful swimmers arms... they still have some tone to them, but not that youthful defined look. My calves are still quite defined, but i am guessing they are next if I don't get on this!!!

i remain "active" and when I get back from an upcoming vacation, I am returning to my tried and true exercise program. Glad i noticed sooner rather than later.

So - my study of one person did prove that all those crunches, planks, pushups and sprint cycling etc etc DOES make a difference!

Cowgirljane,

I just started maintenance and just recently returned from a vacation that was number one on my list of things I was shooting for when I reached my goal weight. And almost like clockwork of times past, I felt myself subconsciously easing up on the level of workouts I was doing during my weight loss.

as in.......goal reached....vacation's over.....I can relax now....right !!..... Deja Vu..... :huh:

This is the eye opener I needed as well. If it takes me creating another distant future goal to keep up the routine.....then so be it. Or maybe just to keep topic fresh in my mind by frequenting Bariatric Pal often to read posts like yours. Maybe even just set little goals of 2 more pounds to lose or attempting to build some more muscle in my arms to fill the saggy skin. Anything to keep me motivated so I won't backslide.

Thanks for the reality check. Probably the most important issue of the whole process. ;)

So truthful! I couldn't have said it better Cowgirl! Wish you the best getting back into it!

Great post -- and so important. I am reallly glad winter is nearly over so I can crank up the outdoor exercise again. I can definitely feel the flabbiness when I'm not working out enough. For me that is a lot of walking then stretches, weights, etc. at home. Today I went for a PT session (hip stuff) and I got on an elliptical. That was an eye-opener. Geez, I can fast walk four miles but could barely do four minutes on that thing. Hello! Big plans for my body this spring, summer and fall, then a better strategy for next winter.

I agree. Exercise should be seen as a lifetime routine. We need it at every stage and at every age.

Thanks @@CowgirlJane this is a timely reminder for me, im half way through to hitting my goal, and i have recently started walking as my current choice of exercise. This is a great post for me to get it in my head that whatever exercise i choose to take up it will have to be for life, not just until i hit goal! The activity may change but i will need to keep moving and keep up the pace to keep it off!

Thanks again xox

Great post -- and so important. I am reallly glad winter is nearly over so I can crank up the outdoor exercise again. I can definitely feel the flabbiness when I'm not working out enough. For me that is a lot of walking then stretches, weights, etc. at home. Today I went for a PT session (hip stuff) and I got on an elliptical. That was an eye-opener. Geez, I can fast walk four miles but could barely do four minutes on that thing. Hello! Big plans for my body this spring, summer and fall, then a better strategy for next winter.

Bandista I feel the same way about the elliptical! I can walk forever on the treadmill or outside but wowzers! The ellip kills me quickly!