Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have prior abdominal surgery?

I haven't talked to surgeon yet - I'm early in prep process, meeting with NUT, doing medical appointments, etc.

One of the first conversations I want to have with the surgeon is my prior surgery. I had a hysterectomy several years ago. It started out laparoscopic, but ended up having to be abdominal.

Did anyone have a laparoscopic RnY after previous abdominal surgery? Any issue with previous scarring, etc?

And anyone know if it ever happens that they start a laparoscopic RnY but have to switch to open abdominal for some reason during the surgery?

I know these are questions for the surgeon once I get to that point, but I'm just curious if any of you have any thoughts.

My surgeon mentioned that they do not like to do major abdominal surgeries within a year or two of each other. Allowing time for all aspects of the previous surgery to heal and adjust. That being said your surgeon will definitely know best about your specific situation.

I had my surgery just last week and one of the incisions was directly over an old incision from a previous laparoscopic surgery.

Best of luck :)

As for starting laparoscopic for RnY and it switching to an open surgery only happened if the liver was too large or there was an unforeseen complications. I believe that in the states you are able to look at your surgeon's specific stats

I had a myomectomy 7 years ago and the lap band 6 years ago-no problems with my BP 3 weeks ago. Some of the same scars were used too

I had my gallbladder out laparoscopically about 18 years ago, and I have a lot of scar tissue apparently around where it was and adhering my small intestine to my liver. The surgeon is going to break down all that scar tissue while doing my bypass.

I've also had 2 C-sections but those obviously were done pretty low. I would not expect a hysterectomy to cause problems with the bypass for the same reason.

Thanks everyone. I talked to someone last night that has had several surgeries so she was told they wouldn't be able to do laparoscopy. Hopefully my one surgery won't get in the way. As much as I'd like to take 6 weeks off of work :), I reeeeeeaaaaalllllyy don't want to go through that healing process again.

Since 2001 I've have a laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication, an exploratory laparoscopic surgery, a revised Nissen Fundoplication and a laparoscopic hysterectomy.

My surgeon planned on my surgery being a 2 hour laparoscopic RNY and hiatal hernia repair, but my surgery switched to an open after 9 hours as a lap. The extra 7 hours of lap time was due to adhesions. The switching to an open was due to how fragile my pouch tissue was (due to the Nissen), it became difficult to attach my small intestine to it. In total the surgery went over 12 hours.

@happiTam...I had a Nissen about 3 years ago, but my doctor hasn't said anything about the chances of needing an open surgery due to that. Now I'm worried. Do you know if your case was normal for those with a Nissen? Hopefully this thread isn't too old and you see my post. Thanks.

A couple umbilical hernia surgeries within the past 10 years. Shouldn't impact the upcoming bypass.

I had 2 c-sections in the 80's. In 2000, I had a Tummy Tuck, with muscle tightening. The scar is breastbone to pubic area and hip to hip. My surgery is scheduled to by a lap RNY. So, I think it depends on what they find when they try to do the lap.

My case was not normal at all.

I have had a previous hysterectomy started as a lap but they had to do an open. I had gallbladder surgery. The WLS plans on doing a RNY, but said if I have too much scar tissue he would have to do a sleeve. I talked to someone in the office that told me he has only had 2 people he has to do an open surgery. Usually not a problem but they put it on your agreement papers so they can do a surgery in case there are problems. So I have my fingers crossed. My surgery date is Aug 25. We will see.

I asked my surgeon today of the odds of them not being able to do the RNY due to scar tissue. He said it is rare. One in about 500. That just can't be done.