Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So confused? Thought I did my homework

I'm very confused! Reading my info etc about the sleeve it looked like I would be able to lose weight and maintain it ok and I won't put any back on but reading things on this site it says ppl have put weight back on but also they have to measure things out, count calories etc. How comes U have to still do that?? Surely the fact U can't eat Alot does that for U?????

That's true with whatever WLS option your take. I personally know people who managed to eat around their lap band and several people who managed to eat around Bypass.

This can't be said often enough. This is a tool, not a cure. No matter what surgery your take you still need to make a lifestyle change to healthier eating habits or risk regaining.

The reason for the weight gain is because you can still eat all the stuff you shouldn't eat if you are dieting and eating right. chips, candy, icecream, donuts....you name it. Yes, surgery cuts down the quantity at one sitting....but it doesn't stop you from eating all day and eating all the unhealthy stuff your heart desires. With any diet....its you who controls what you put in your mouth. Surgery is not a quick, forever, fix. It is no where near the "easy way out" so many people seem to think it is. Continue to do your research and make a choice that's right for you. Just keep in mind there is nothing out there that will take the weight off and keep it off without constant hard work. Nothing.

Good Luck to you!

Edited by Bobby46

The sleeve is just a tool, it's not a cure. You still need to address the reasons why you overate to begin with - emotional issues were my problem prior to surgery and I continue to struggle 18 months post-op.

I can eat a lot of food - just not at one time. I can graze all day long and have done it.

The further out from surgery I am, the harder it is...Some days I need to go back to basics - add a shake into my day or a Protein bar, so get me centered again.

I remember my surgeon saying you can still have a piece of cake for your birthday as long as your birthday isn't every day. Change birthday to any celebration and you understand you can still have things, just not all the time.

Being surprised that others still measure and count calories should be a worrisome concern to you.

My failure to totally understand what was required was always my downfall with any past weight losses. I would figure I won the battle once I reached a goal weight and then slowly go back to my old habits.........and weight

I like that my sleeve is a ongoing reminder of the lifestyle changes I have made and will continue to follow forever now. I know from past failed experiences in contrast to my present success, along with the maintenance feedback of others, that the longer I maintain my lifestyle and eating changes, the more likely they will become permanent. No more illusions that I can quickly defeat obesity. I will need to be forever vigilant. This will be my new normal ;)

You've not read enough that tells you this is a tool not a cure

I'm going to be completely honest...if I hadn't found Bariatric Pal and taken a pre op class, I would have thought the exact same thing. My husband had a Gastric Bypass almost 9 years ago, and he literally ate whatever he wanted for 8 years without putting the weight back on. Although they are two different surgeries, in my naivete, I thought I could do the same after my surgery. I'm so glad I got educated! This has been hard enough doing things the RIGHT way, lol.

By the way, the lax attitude about his surgery did catch up to my husband eventually. We both quit smoking before my surgery and he put on 30lbs....it scared him so he has been working hard to get it off, and is almost there. But he knows now he has to watch it from here on out. His pouch is pretty much stretched out at this point :(

I understand it's a tool and I had my surgery a few weeks ago, I just didn't realise U cud eat amounts that wud mean U put weight back on! I certainly Wudnt go back to eating junk food as it's what got me in the mess I am already in. It was a question out of interest not me believing that it is going to make me slim all on my own without me doing anything different

Don't forget many people have discovered the can easily eat slider foods. Imagine if instead of eating small amounts of Protein and veg all day. You just eat pudding all day or you eat noodles all day. but just small amounts. You've spent the day eating small amounts of food that aren't Protein or veg. Your body doesn't have anything to nourish it and the foods you have consumed are full of carbs and sugar. That's how people regain.

Some people handle the food thing differently and honestly don't weigh and measure when they are at goal. However, these are people who are vigilant enough to actually seek out protein first. You have to be honest with yourself. If not weighing/measuring will allow you to delude yourself that you can have something bad "just this one time" and that one time happens every day, then you may be the person who needs to weigh and measure forever. If you can honestly handle winging it, then I say go for it.

Anyone who thinks WLS keeps them from having to maintain a healthy diet and measure amounts eaten on a regular basis is misinformed! It will always be work, and if you aren't wanting it, don't have the surgery. Good luck to you!

I was pretty uninformed before I had WLS. Two sisters and a niece had gastric bypasses years ago, and watching them, I did think that having WLS meant never having to diet. I thought they just naturally ate less and that was all it took to lose weight and stay thin. I quickly learned differently. Both from this forum and from talking to my sisters about their actual daily reality. I had been observing them at family gatherings. Their day to day eating patterns are very different from their party habits.

I don't think everyone who has WLS will have to count calories and log their food forever. Some people will succeed in retraining themselves to eat healthily and exercise daily and then stick with that new lifestyle because they enjoy their new healthy habits. Others will be like I suspect myself to be. We'll need stay accountable and formalize our diet rules, stick carefully to them and be able to go back and see our intake to make sure we stay on track. I'm only just beginning maintenance, but I think I could easily "go over to the dark side" without careful monitoring.

@@Hertsukfem31, I think many people answered this but I would just reaffirm that you are right, if you stuck to eating per the plan 3 meals a day with no Snacks the restriction from your surgery would probably help you to lose weight and maintain that weight. The reality is you can eat around your tool by grazing all day long and putting the wrong things in your new stomach.

Logging your food helps you remain accountable to what you are eating and helps you to recognize when you have gone off plan. It is very easy to go off plan once you are healed, some of those habits creep back in.

I don't measure everything, I have the most success when I eat 2 bites of Protein for every one bite of good carbs (fruits/vegetables). If I choose to have something in between I usually choose healthy Protein heavy Snacks. When I have gone off plan (usually vacation), I find myself either losing slower or even gain a pound for that week. It is very easy to get out of control if u let yourself.

WLS is very hard work and clearly a lifelong commitment. Anyone that says it is easy and the weight falls off and remains off is full of it. Let them live a month in our shoes and they will get a taste of reality.

Good luck to you on your journey, I am sure you will do great as you are still doing your homework!

@@Hertsukfem31, I think many people answered this but I would just reaffirm that you are right, if you stuck to eating per the plan 3 meals a day with no Snacks the restriction from your surgery would probably help you to lose weight and maintain that weight. The reality is you can eat around your tool by grazing all day long and putting the wrong things in your new stomach.

Logging your food helps you remain accountable to what you are eating and helps you to recognize when you have gone off plan. It is very easy to go off plan once you are healed, some of those habits creep back in.

I don't measure everything, I have the most success when I eat 2 bites of Protein for every one bite of good carbs (fruits/vegetables). If I choose to have something in between I usually choose healthy Protein heavy Snacks. When I have gone off plan (usually vacation), I find myself either losing slower or even gain a pound for that week. It is very easy to get out of control if u let yourself.

WLS is very hard work and clearly a lifelong commitment. Anyone that says it is easy and the weight falls off and remains off is full of it. Let them live a month in our shoes and they will get a taste of reality.

Good luck to you on your journey, I am sure you will do great as you are still doing your homework!

Thank U that's what I needed to know not to be moaned at and told to rethink having an operation! I have already had the operation nearly 3 weeks ago and I wanted to know how to avoid putting weight on as I wasn't informed that it was possible to put it back on