Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Physically demanding job. Is two weeks off enough?

I just got confirmation for my medical leave and saw that my doctor only approved me for two weeks off. I'm a preschool teacher working with toddlers (lots of bending, lifting, getting up and down from the floor,and just general running around) and two weeks just doesn't seem like enough time! Has anyone else gone back to an active, physically demanding job after only two weeks?

Do you have a teacher's assistant? Otherwise I'd say no. Energy wise if all goes well you could return in 2 weeks, but with little people that you might have to or need to pick up, I'd say, "No" unless you have an assistant who could do the picking up and stuff. Also keep in mind you need to be able to sip for most of the day.

I know you don't want to be lifting over 10 pounds for the first 4 weeks post-op. You may be okay to go back, but you would have to modify a lot of what you do.

I work at a hospital, LOTS of picking patients up and bending over. My doctor said I could go back in 2 weeks, but I'm taking 4 weeks. I just don't want to chance it, is not worth ripping a staple in my stomach!

I would not have been ready. I went back just before 2 weeks to a desk job and that was tough enough. Although, I was very dehydrated and needed to go in for fluids that first week back to work.

I'm a RN on a busy hospital unit so lots of running etc.. For 12-13 hour shifts. I had my surgery on a Friday and went back to work on Wednesday. The girls I work with helped me with my lifting the first couple shifts then I was good after that. I was sore like I did a good workout after the second day but I was fine.

Do you have to pick the kiddos up? That would be my only real concern. You may be able to adapt and work around anything that is uncomfortable. You could sit in a chair instead of on the floor, at least for a while. Don't pick stuff up off the floor, have a child get it for you, etc... I teach 4th and returned in a week... the bending, moving around the room, general daily stuff was fine by then. I actually felt better getting out of the house and doing something by then.

It is different for each of us how fast we recover, maybe see how you feel at the end of those 2 weeks and take some sick days if necessary.

I took two and a half weeks. I was glad to get back to work, but my mistake was going back full-time at full speed ahead right when I got back. The first month was exhausting for me. I'd recommend at least three weeks. But everyone is different..

I know for my job that I had to be able to pick up at least 60 pound power supplies... My doctor kept me off of work for 6 weeks...

and even when he cleared me he told me to get help with anything over 40 lbs for a couple more weeks.

The getting up and down at the 2 week mark can be rough, but doable IF you can manage to still take it slow... but I can't imagine that is very possible with little ones.... Hell I managed to strain an area of incisions just from walking too much at about a week and a half after surgery..

Be prepare to still get tired easily and often...

Personally I would ask for more time off...

Edited by catlover2565

I'm a vet tech and am on my feet all day...walking, bending, squatting, lifting, and restraining sometimes uncooperative animals. I went back to work at 7 days but had a lifting restriction of 20 pounds for 3 weeks, so we couldn't schedule any large dog surgeries or farm calls that involved horses/cows. I was back to lifting up to 60 pounds at 3 weeks. I never had any problems doing my job, just really tired at the end of the day.