Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you do with your old fat clothes?

So, I am at the point that I need to pack up all my work clothes and into a box as they don't fit properly anymore. Not only did I loose my boobs, but my butt so far. So needless to say, I can't wear sloppy clothes to work.

It hurts me because I spent a lot of money on these work clothes and they are in excellent shape. Many I washed by hand because of the embellishments. You know how expensive Lane Bryant, Avenue and Macy's can be. I wish I can sell them and maybe that money will help towards new clothes.

Has anyone had any luck with selling their fat clothes on ebay? What other suggestions are there?

If I knew of someone that is in dire need of clothes, I would give it away. I don't have an issue with that. But I guess I would do that by recommendation.

Thoughts?

*SIGH*

I'm taking a pretty hard hit. I have 4 bags of clothes going to the goodwill. 1 large bag I'm going to try and sell on Facebook or a consignment shop. I have a Anna Scholtz dress I paid $250 for that I wore all of 4 times. Another dress I paid $99 and wore once. I have several fully lined work suits and a full length wool coat I wore this winter until it simply looked like I was wearing a very large blanket. I have some dresses I'm taking to my local Dress for Success store. They work with helping people return to the work force and when I was a case worker I recall they always needed plus sized work attire. I'll keep the receipts and try and get the tax write off, but there's not much else to do.

ETA: On face book the groups are Fat Too & Fat Too Grand.

Edited by BLERDgirl

Do you have a resale shop nearby? A resale shop might be the way to go for the less worn, higher quality items.

I know large-sized clothes are usually in demand in second-hand stores. I did some volunteering with my church group at a St. Vincent de Paul's and they were always asking me if I would give them my old clothes because they had such a demand for larger sizes.

I second fattoo and there are several other plus size pages on Facebook to sell stuff on. Just always have someone pay you with PayPal so that you are both covered (unless it's local)

That's what I plan to do anyway.

I have some stuff I need to give away I was going to make a post and give it away for free as long as someone pays the shipping but I haven't got to it. I just bought a size 14 NYDJ (not your daughter jeans) they retail for over 100 bucks. Two weeks later to dang big!! I went back and bought a size 12 now these are just laying on my dresser......they need to go to a good home.

Edited by Elode

large-sized clothes are usually in demand

@@Inner Surfer Girl

years of fast foods, super sized portions

its sad that so many people do need large, larger, and largest size clothes :mellow:

spent a lot of money on these work clothes

@@Pac-woman

i think some people do sell on e-bay

don't know how successful??

i gave all my big clothes to the rescue mission

i do not have the patience to sell things on the board here, ebay, garage sales :wacko:

that is just me

i also had newer large clothes that i barely wore

pretty sad having to get rid of many beautiful clothes

lots of hard earned money down the toilet :angry:

many people go to thrift shops while they are losing weight

lots of nice clothes at thrift shop

some clothes still have tags on them :huh:

silly to spend lots of money on clothes that you will grow out of

i don't mind having to spend money on smaller sizes

better than the olden days

back then, i could only buy/wear gigantic plus X size clothes :angry:

out with the old, big sizes

in with the new smaller sizes :)

losing weight, having to spend money on new smaller sized clothes

life is a bitchhh :huh: :lol:

55 lbs down!!!!

you deserve to spend money on yourself :)

keep up the good job

kathy

congrats

Edited by proudgrammy

well I hate having a lot of expensive clothes that don't fit which honestly is mostly jeans. I'm lucky and work clothes are scrubs and lab coats but I took my jeans to a seamstress and had them taken in and my shirt are still ok cause I have big boobs still but I would definitively look into craigslist, ebay, kajiji, and garage sales. Everything that doesn't sell goodwill or salvation army it!

@@Pac-woman Maybe your monthly support group meeting has a clothing exchange? Ours does. You just bring in your clothes and more or less donate them to someone who needs that size. You may find some things in your new size that you like.

If not that, find out if there is a women's job training center that might take donated office clothes.

I gave one of my sisters the first shot at all of them.

And then I gave the rest to our local favorite charity (hospital thrift shop).

I have been selling my high end in good shape clothes on Facebook on a group page called FatToo (sizes 20W and up). It's fairly easy and I have been using the money from there to shop shop shop. LOL

It is a closed group but you just have to send a request and wait for them to accept it. They have a FatToo Lite group (sizes 12-18), FatToo for accessories for purses, shoes, etc, FatToo @ night for bras and such. I listed 5 bras that were in great shape and within an hour they were all sold. It was crazy.

Anything that doesn't seem to move I have been donating.

losing weight, having to spend money on new smaller sized clothes

life is a bitchhh :huh: :lol:

55 lbs down!!!!

you deserve to spend money on yourself :)

Thank you! That was great. You are right about that. I went to the shops and I got two pair of new shoes (feet has gotten smaller) and I bought one pair of pants (Size 16x) and I wiggled into it. Bought it tight because I know in a few weeks I will fit just fine. Losing about 2.5 to 3lbs a week so far. I haven't work 16x since God knows when. Before surgery i was 22 going on 24. So I have to be happy even though the number still have an "x" next to it.

I don't have a lot of patience or time to sell on the internet. But I will give it one shot. All clothes in a box for one price. It will be "Christmas" for someone. Lots of nice stuff in it, just size 18/20 amd 22. If not, I am going to try to find some kind of charity like@@BLERDgirl mentioned. I think that is a great idea. I remember I was out of work for a long time and barely had money and wore the same outfit over and over to my interviews. So I know how it feels.

Thank you all for the suggestions, all is welcomed. :rolleyes:

Edited by Pac-woman

@@Pac-woman Maybe your monthly support group meeting has a clothing exchange? Ours does. You just bring in your clothes and more or less donate them to someone who needs that size. You may find some things in your new size that you like.

If not that, find out if there is a women's job training center that might take donated office clothes.

Thank you, I will look into that. Great suggestion.

I have been selling my high end in good shape clothes on Facebook on a group page called FatToo (sizes 20W and up). It's fairly easy and I have been using the money from there to shop shop shop. LOL

It is a closed group but you just have to send a request and wait for them to accept it. They have a FatToo Lite group (sizes 12-18), FatToo for accessories for purses, shoes, etc, FatToo @ night for bras and such. I listed 5 bras that were in great shape and within an hour they were all sold. It was crazy.

Anything that doesn't seem to move I have been donating.

Awesome! Thanks.

Dress for Success is a national organization so if you don't know of a local one, message them on their site.

I sell mine on Poshmark and use my earnings to buy new transition clothes