Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op day 3 and no weight loss?

Hey guys, I had my surgery 3-25 and it is now 3/28. I had lost 16 pounds on the preop diet, but have lost nothing in the three days since surgery. Is this normal? I would think I would at least have dropped a pound or two on this liquid diet. When did you start loosing weight after surgery? I guess I'm just being impatient and I have this fear that I am going to fail at this as well :(

Morning. :)

Three days......be patient. Your body is still full of the gas that was put there to help with the surgery. You are still swollen and healing. You will really not see any weight change until a month out. Your body needs to adjust.

Be patient, breathe, and enjoy this ride.

If you have that fear you will fail...........then you most likely will. You need to change that outlook. Be positive, know that this is a new life change. Your surgeon did surgery on your stomach not your brain.

You will need to do alot of work. I have love 71 pounds total (not including what I lost prior to surgery). I had my surgery on 11/21/14. Just make sure you drink and do what you are told for food/drinks.

If you cannot handle the Protein drinks, then so be it. I have not had a Protein Drink, since pre-surgery. I had my labs drawn and my Protein levels are amazing.

Just remember first two weeks is liquids only so that your stomach can heal, then into the mushy foods for the next 3-6 weeks, after that you introduce small amounts of food into you new baby tummy. Take your time, you will not starve. You will see the weight come off the way it is suppose to.

I remember the first food I ate after I was allowed, was only 2 teaspoons of oatmeal. Was the most amazing food. Even today, I eat every 2 hours and only about 2-3 teaspoons. I feel full. I drink my Water, or hot cocoa. I do eat alot of cheese and foods with protein in them more than carbs. Remember, your stomach is a baby stomach, eat exactly like a baby would.

Just be patient, you will do fine. And remember.....we were all in your shows at one time.

Have a sparkling day ................ Annamarie

I weighed 6 lbs heavier 3 days post op!!! I was still full of IV fluids. Let this first week be focused on rest and getting fluids so your body can recover from the surgery. The weight loss will happen. After 3 days I was able to get in enough fluids to stop retaining that Water and proceeded to drop about 10 lbs over the next 2 weeks.

It wont happen overnight, but it will happen...

normal.

Be patient - you just put your body thru major surgery. Don't be surprised if you don't lose anything in the first couple of weeks. Allow your body to heal - the weight will come off. Just as you didn't gain the weight overnight, you won't lose it overnight.

You got this

This happens to many of us. I was up 8 pounds after surgery a week later I was down those 8 plus another 3. Don't fret, it will come off!

Umm, as to the wont see a weight change in the first month??? Says who? i lost 30 pounds my first month actually a bit over that. Please dont make wide spread statements like that. Everyones journey is completely different, if you didnt lose weight in the first month , thats your journey, not anyone else's thank you.

Every body is different - some lose immediately, others don't. WLS journeys are like snowflakes...no two are the same.

Your body will lose weight at it's now pace - it probably won't be as fast as your brain wants you to.

You're going to be just fine.

Umm, as to the wont see a weight change in the first month??? Says who? i lost 30 pounds my first month actually a bit over that. Please dont make wide spread statements like that. Everyones journey is completely different, if you didnt lose weight in the first month , thats your journey, not anyone else's thank you.

Agreed. Since I didn't have a pre-op diet, my biggest loss was in the first 2 weeks of surgery. At my 2 week f/u I was down 26lbs. That has slowed to a more reasonable 10 -12 lbs a month and one month I "only" loss 6lbs. However the scale continues to go in the right direction so I'm not sweating it.

Every body is different - some lose immediately, others don't. WLS journeys are like snowflakes...no two are the same.

Your body will lose weight at it's now pace - it probably won't be as fast as your brain wants you to.

You're going to be just fine.

AMEN! There are fast out the gate losers, slow but steady losers and everything in between. Do not expect miracles or compare yourself to others. Just follow the program. Protein first, then veg. Get your fluids in and try to exercise even if it's just walking.