Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to expect immediately post-op?

Hi,

I'm scheduled for sleeve on Tuesday @ Lenox Hill. I'm super excited!!

I've been wondering about a few things though.

1. What was it like waking up? Did you feel pain or nausea right away, or feel confused?

2. Did you go right to your room or were you in a post operative room at first?

3. How long did you wait before you walked?

4. Did you have a pain pump or how did you take pain medication or anti-nausea meds?

5.How long until you took your home meds? Did you crush them or take them whole?

XOXO
THANKS!

1. What was it like waking up? Did you feel pain or nausea right away, or feel confused?

No post-op pain or nausea. A lot of gas pain

Usually everyone goes to the recovery room though you may not remember it. I didn't become aware until right before they took me to my room

4 hours

4. Did you have a pain pump or how did you take pain medication or anti-nausea meds?

Pain pump until the morning after surgery and then by mouth.

5.How long until you took your home meds? Did you crush them or take them whole?

Not on any meds though make sure you ask the surgeon BEFORE you go home.

Good luck with your procedure!

I had a really easy time of it.

No pain, no nausea. Abs felt like I had done a vigorous work out the day before. I woke up with an overwhelming urge to pee and was able to use the toilet.

I went to recovery. I actually was in recovery for 2 hours waiting for my bed on the floor to be ready. I think I peed 3 or 4 times. Nurses were pleased because it meant I was up and walking.

Walked in recovery.

I was offered a pain pump, did not use/need it. Did not take any pains or anti-nausea meds.

I was started on colace (stool softener) and omeprazole (ant-acid) in the hospital. I continued colace for 30 days and omeprazole until month 5. They were small. I was allowed to swallow them whole. The only meds I was on prior to surgery was a daily ZyrtecD. I resumed that once I went home.

1) Not going to lie I hurt! And I was told I wouldn't so I was also mad! ;) it was short lived though, maybe 15 mins.

2) I was in the recovery room for about 20 mins after waking, then to my room.

3) I got up and walked as soon as I got to my room (to pee).

4) Yes I had a PCA pump (morphine)

5) I didn't have any home meds, only what I was prescribed at discharge (narcotic, PPI & nausea med)

I was in post op first but was too out of it to really notice. I didn't think the pain was that bad and I had revision surgery. I refused the pain meds after surgery because they made me SO nausea is the last time and I was fine. I only walked to go to the bathroom. Because I had revision surgery they told me to plan on 2 nights in the hospital but I went home the next day because I felt fine.

@@vida81

I felt good waking up. I woke up! No pain, no nausea, just HAPPY.

I don't remember being in recovery room, but I do remember when I got to my room and my family was there. HAPPY.

I was up walking an hour after I got to my room. Still HAPPY.

I had a pain pump. I used it the first day and a couple of times through the night. They gave me anti-nausea meds regularly. The pain was not from my incisions. I never did have pain there. Just the spasms in my stomach. I had a hernia repair. The pain was not unbearable. It was tolerable pain. Nothing to panic about.

Took home meds right after release. Anti-nausea was an under the tongue, chewable multi-Vitamin, under the tongue B-12, chewable Calcium citrate, my regular daily meds are all swallowed. No problems there. And, I had to give myself a shot in the stomach every day for 2 weeks. That was a blood thinner. No big deal. Still HAPPY!!!

You will do fine! Don't worry! Best of luck to you!

I just had surgery on Wednesday. I didn't really have pain or nausea when I first woke up. As the anesthesia wore off I felt stomach pain and some soreness in my incisions. Now it feels like I have a sore stomach. I was on morphine ( not a pump) in the hospital but will probably not take any of the oral pain medicine as its liquid and disgusting.

I woke up in the recovery room and then was moved to my own room. I think I was walking a couple hours later. I had a couple bouts of intense nausea but they came on fast and left quickly.

Gas was the worst but I walked right away to go to the bathroom and down the halls. I walked alot because the doctor told me beforehand that it would help with gas and it did. I used the pump like twice or 3 times and the first night they already took it off because I had gone so long without it. I still have pain at weeks post op but I had a hernia repaired and think it might be from that.

wow!! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience everyone. So nice to hear all of this information. <3 I'm very excited and I will definitely let you know updates!

I had pain at the removal incision but no nausea. Getting out of bed sucked with incisions but you have to do it.

• So I had my surgery on 3/31, and thankfully, everything went so smoothly! I had no gas or pain or nausea post-op. My nurse woke me up every 2 hours to walk, and I was able to walk four times around the ward each time. I've had no issues since I've been home, other than fatigue, and haven't taken any pain meds since the first day I was home. My stomach is a little sore, but not too bad. So, this has been an amazing experience, and I'm SO glad I did it. Oh, the icing on the cake....I'm down 11 lbs. since last Sunday!~!

Congratulations on your weight loss!!! @@Susan Mary

I am 10 days post op. I don't remember recovery but I do remember going to my room. No pain or nausea , but I was medicated in the or. I did have pain when getting up to go potty????! 2nd day of surgery this is gross, but I had diarrhea! I thought it was gas but it wasn't. Yuck never had that before. It was a few hours after my xray procedure!!

Being 10 days post op I still have pain on main incision, but I can still do stuff except for lifting. Good luck to you and hope this helped. ????

Of course everyone's experience will be a bit different. Here's mine:

I had some pain in my shoulder/collarbone area due to gas. No abdominal pain. I really had to pee! I didn't have any nausea.

I was in a post-op recovery bay for about 30 minutes (I think) before being moved to my room.

About an hour after I was in my own room. Tip: don't let them put you in the bed. Ask to be seated in the visitor chair or couch instead. That makes it a lot easier to get up and walk.

No pain pump. I took liquid lortab about every four hours. I didn't take any anti-nausea meds as I wasn't nauseated, but they were offered to me as a capsule.

The only meds I had at home were pain meds (liquid lortab) and a PPI, which was a small capsule, swallowed whole. I started both of those in the hospital and continued when I went home. My doctor allows swallowing whole pills as long as they fit would fit through a normal size wedding ring. Your surgeon and pharmacist should be involved in telling you exactly how to take any meds. I also took liquid Multivitamins, Calcium, and Iron for four weeks before switching to chewables and tablets.