Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just starting to consider this as an option...

I would love to hear some opinions about my situation. I had my lapband put in five and a half years ago. I have been truly loved it but have had problems with it from time to time. Port sight pain is pretty much constrant since I had my Tummy Tuck two years ago but I just choose to ignore it. Recently, the night choking and reguritating has gotten to the point that I just can't take it any more. Even though I sit practically straight up I'm woken several times at night drowning in liquid from my stomach. I'm twenty pound higher than my lowest weight of 155 and fear that if I take the Fluid out of my band or remove the band entirely I will just end up back where I was in 2009.

I came to these forums looking for some information on revising to a sleeve. Honestly, if the sleeve had been available to me back in 2009 that would have been my choice but it was not an option. No I read so many scary stories about what kind of damange my band could be inflicting on me right now and my syptoms don't make me feel any better. I have already made an appoitment with the bariatric doctor at my hmo to look in to everything.

My questions for everyone here are these: I currently have an HMO, I had a PPO when I got the lapband. Would the HMO pay for a revision to a sleeve even though I am currently not obese? I don't want to have to remove the band, regain the weight, then get the sleeve!

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

You need to contact your insurance company and ask them what options you have and what the requirements are. I have seen many women on here get revisions. i am sure they will be able to coach you through the process. I wish the best for you.

Try getting at least some, if not all, of your fill out of your band and see what happens. It might resolve some of that acid reflux and regurgitation. My band is totally unfilled. You can always start the process of looking into whether your insurance will pay for your revision and what their criteria is.

I was getting really bad chest pains the last year of my band, the doctor took some saline out and I got immediate relief. Your symptoms remind me of what I had before band surgery and it turned out to be a hiatel hernia. As far as insurance, some will only cover 1 in a lifetime. My company had switched insurance since my band so I was able to get revision but they only covered 80%. Many also require to be at a certain BMI to qualify. I would definitely call them to go over the requirements but in the meantime, have some saline removed.

When I had to stop using the band, I gained 40 pounds in 4 years. That's when I decided on the sleeve.

I can't help you with the other questions. I was private pay...sorry!!!

I'm twenty pound higher than my lowest weight of 155 and fear that if I take the Fluid out of my band or remove the band entirely I will just end up back where I was in 2009.

I had the same regurgitation issues you mentioned. I got my band in 2010 and was revised to sleeve this past October. The sleeve has been a breeze. I really enjoy not having that port. As for insurance, my revision was covered due to the acid reflux problems without meeting BMI requirements. Each insurance is different though. I do not regret my decision at all. I liked my band, but had extreme anxiety about eating around others for fear of getting stuck. The sleeve has opened a new world.

I had the same regurgitation issues you mentioned. I got my band in 2010 and was revised to sleeve this past October. The sleeve has been a breeze. I really enjoy not having that port. As for insurance, my revision was covered due to the acid reflux problems without meeting BMI requirements. Each insurance is different though. I do not regret my decision at all. I liked my band, but had extreme anxiety about eating around others for fear of getting stuck. The sleeve has opened a new world.

I'm still getting anxiety about eating with the sleeve. Sometimes at work after lunch I get a stomach ache after. I'm scared to go to a restaurant. I have a dinner to attend in May and I'm nervous. I was revised on 2/4. I want to get past this so I can start going out again

I do have to add that I don't get "stuck" like I did with the band and I don't get sick- but I still have the anxiety

Thanks so much for the input everyone. I'm off to see the doctor in a couple of hours. Definitely going to have some saline taken out so I can sleep at night and going to ask him to get the ball rolling on moving on to a sleeve. I have not been vocal with the doctor about my problems because I don't want to lose the band and gain any weight back but I'm at the point where I just can't take it any more. Even if I have to jump through insurance hoops for months, I'm going to start jumping now!

Thanks so much for the input everyone. I'm off to see the doctor in a couple of hours. Definitely going to have some saline taken out so I can sleep at night and going to ask him to get the ball rolling on moving on to a sleeve. I have not been vocal with the doctor about my problems because I don't want to lose the band and gain any weight back but I'm at the point where I just can't take it any more. Even if I have to jump through insurance hoops for months, I'm going to start jumping now!

How did it go?

I had the same problem you are describing. I ignored it until it got so bad that I couldn't take it any longer. The band was removed and the sleeve was done. 9 months later and I still have heartburn and acid reflux, and only have lost 12 lbs. For me, the sleeve was a mistake. My surgeon assures me that with the bypass the reflux and heartburn will go away, so as much as I don't want to have my insides rerouted, I am considering it. Good luck to you.