Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Argh! That moment when... (only a bandster would understand)

...you're chewing your food and think you have it chewed enough and your mouth starts to swallow part of what's in your mouth and you can feel that there's a chunk in there that might be a little too big (in the middle of swallowing) and you can't stop it, it's already half swallowed. And then it's gone down your throat and all you're left with is that feeling of regret mixed with fear that it will get stuck! UGH! So you wait, and stop eating for at least five minutes and try some liquid only after that first to make sure that the pea-sized chunk made it through.

For me, this happens with squishy but firm type things quite a bit, like eggs, bananas, or cooked mushrooms. I'm six months in and it's still work for me to break my quick eating, barely chewing, habits of old.

...you take a sip of Water during a meeting and then the liquid gurgles past your band, loudly!

yep yep yep..... 5 years out and still do this. Mostly when i have forgotten to eat all day and now im starving and i eat too fast... Like last night...

I need to get back to cutting my bites in pinky finger nail size... that helped me.

Or when you are out with friends/family, and they ask you a question while you are chewing ... and you swallow so that you can answer, because "don't talk with food in your mouth". Then the terror that goes through your whole body as it DOES get stuck, the tears are welling up, and everyone is all "What can we do to help?" The only answer is .. "STOP expecting me to eat and talk to you at the same time!"

Lots of changes .... so many changes.

All I can say is start practicing now. Chew until it's applesauce consistency.

after a lifetime of eating fast it's really difficult to slow down. I am mostly successful but still after 2 years have times of stuck episodes from eating too fast I have started trying to slow down, chew more and avoid dry meats . Found out that I cannot do Chinese food , rice is not my friend. it's a learning process that goes on.

Just had a mini stuck episode on a road trip with a friend. Excused myself abruptly to PB and then returned to the table. I've learned to tell a white lie to avoid embarrassment. "I was afraid I ate too fast and got a little queasy, but the feeling passed and now I'm ok." She knows I'm banded but if I admit spitting up food, people get way too wigged out and concerned. This way I just take it easy for the rest of the meal, and they are happy I "avoided an upset stomach". They also don't keep pushing food on me. Get my takeout container and all is well.

When yall get stuck do you find yourself in the bathroom with your face in the toilet upchucking what got stuck? Does that eventually damage the band or does it just make you sore? This happens to me several times a week sometimes. And then never for a month.