Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 4 1/2 weeks post-op gastric sleeve and I've only lost 14 pounds. I am truly so disappointed in this and cannot stop feeling like a failure already. I am following my program (my surgeon emphasized low fat over low carb). While I wasn't working out a ton prior to this week, this past week I have done intense cardio every day plus weights on 3 of those days. My mom, who is extremely supportive, is now even starting to sound disappointed in me. SW 232, DOS 222, Current 207. I really don't want a pity party, I just need some encouragement. Feeling down. I really thought I would feel amazing at over a month out.

I wonder if you switched to going very low carb you would see bigger results...my dr has us avoid all carbs for 2 months...I can only have proteins...no veggies, no fruit, no grains..after 2 months I can go to 50 carbs...and this is for ever.

@@kndoster you are doing an AMAZING JOB! Think of it this way, when was the last time you lost 14 pounds in a little over a month? Also, low carb may be your best bet. I eat no processed carbs, I.e. Breads, crackers, and no rice, potatoes, etc. I eat 2 servings of fruit and 2 servings of low carb veggies, I.e. No corn, potatoes, etc and no sugar. I concentrate on high Protein, I.e. At least 20 grams per meal, and I don't count calories or fat, of course I'm not binging on fried foods, bacon, etc. Also fluids, are you getting in no less than 64 ounces per day? I don't care for plain Water so I use the berry flavor dasani drops which has no sugar, and Decaf herbal teas which I sweeten with stevia in the raw. You are new on this journey, and the weight you have lost between your pre op diet and since your sleeve is impressive. Go step by step and be confident that u are doing wonderfully! :)

@@kndoster you are doing an AMAZING JOB! Think of it this way, when was the last time you lost 14 pounds in a little over a month? Also, low carb may be your best bet. I eat no processed carbs, I.e. Breads, crackers, and no rice, potatoes, etc. I eat 2 servings of fruit and 2 servings of low carb veggies, I.e. No corn, potatoes, etc and no sugar. I concentrate on high Protein, I.e. At least 20 grams per meal, and I don't count calories or fat, of course I'm not binging on fried foods, bacon, etc. Also fluids, are you getting in no less than 64 ounces per day? I don't care for plain Water so I use the berry flavor dasani drops which has no sugar, and Decaf herbal teas which I sweeten with stevia in the raw. You are new on this journey, and the weight you have lost between your pre op diet and since your sleeve is impressive. Go step by step and be confident that u are doing wonderfully! :)

Thank you so much, Wynnie. I think the reason I feel so disappointed and conflicted is that my surgeon says low fat. I haven't been eating a ton of carbs simply because I have been trying to get in Protein first and I am just now moving from purees to soft foods. But I also feel like with the amount of calories I am getting in, 500-700 daily, I should be losing, even if I'm eating carbs.

I really appreciate your kindness and encouragement.

First, anytime you are referring to weight from here on out, remove the word "only" from your vocabulary. ANY weight lost is a victory and success. Celebrate it! Second, you shouldn't listen or care what other people think. Even your mom. Easier said than done, I know. But this is YOUR journey and you cannot make your body lose faster than it already is as long as you are following the rules. Third, you will hit multiple stalls and you need to be mentally prepared for that. I'm 4 1/2 months post op and I just had my first week where I GAINED weight. I didn't cry. I didn't freak out. Why? I had been out of town all week and did a horrible job of getting my fluids in.

Also, at your stage I was still battling extreme fatigue, depression and figuring out how to get calories in. The few calories you're eating combined with the level of working out you're doing could cause slower weight loss. I would recommend going back to your team and asking about your diet and exercise. I personally did very low carb the first 3 months then my doctor had me add some healthy carbs in.

Keep your chin up and take it day by day. You'll make it to your goal. But it won't happen over just one month.

I'm surprised you're doing that much exercise this early. Most docs that I've heard about recommend only walking programs until 6 weeks out. I agree with everyone about the low carb vs. low fat. Generally, low fat foods are higher in carbs. Here is a great article that breaks down where our calories come from.

This will help understand why something low-fat is higher carb.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-is-a-calorie-a-calorie-2/

Also, it looks like you're averaging a little over 3 pounds a week. That's no small feat and you should be proud. Compared to a lot of people on here you're starting weight isn't that high. That's why you shouldn't compare your weight loss with others. The more you have to lose, the faster you lose. In one month you've lost 14% of your excess body weight (based on your starting & goal weights). THAT'S AMAZING!!! Pat yourself on the back. If you really want to compare, at 4 weeks out, I had lost 16% of my excess body fat since surgery. For me that was about 25 pounds. See how comparing does no good? This is your journey and you're already off to a great start. If you're mom is asking you everyday how much you've lost (my mom does this), just stop telling her a number. She'll get the hint. You're body is still healing so just stick with the program and focus on that. Make sure you get your fluids and if you can, your Protein. Good luck to you! We're proud of you :)

Your doing fine. I do low carb, which is easy when your top priority is Protein. If your mom sounds disappointed she will have to get over it it's not going to be a fast process,if your doing what your surgeon is telling you to do than then there's no need for disappointment or added stress. I wouldn't worry about how others feel your doing unless it's your surgeon..he's the professional.

I remember feeling exactly the same. I've been a slow loser and it took me a while to come to peace with that. I lost 14lbs my first month and never lost more than that in a month. But I'm at 6 months and over halfway to my goal now. My loss is slow but steady and I'm seeing results. You will too.

@@kndoster, you're doing fine. I was exactly the same but guess what, we don't all lose at the same pace. Some of us will lose 1 - 3 pounds a week while others are losing 4-5. Don't beat yourself up. Besides, you're still very early In this process. I didn't hit a grove and get through all of the emotional turmoil that comes with having this surgery until I was 2 months out. Now, at three months and 60 pounds down, I feel amazing, I'm happy and I don't care if I lose 1 pound or 3 pounds as long as I lose. And I've had a torn meniscus and haven't worked out since February but I'm still losing 1-3 pounds every week. And we aren't even going to mention the inches. I am truly amazed at how many inches I've lost!

Please don't get discouraged. Your body has been through a lot and like all the post-opters here will tell you, you will adjust and soar, just be patient.

Congrats on your weight loss so far and keep your head up.

lost 14 pounds. feeling like a failure

@@kndoster

knock it off!!! :lol: :lol:

you are not a failure

i agree with everyone that you are doing great!!! :rolleyes:

you didn't gain 100 lbs overnight

not gonna wake up 2 days PO - 100 lbs less :(

wonderful having support from family/friends or MOM :)

very helpful when someone has your back

so happy you have support from mom :)

she has to learn with you that this is/can be a slow process

"they" say loosing 10 lbs a month is good/average

some people loose more in that time period, others less

I think you are right on target, bulls eye!!! ;)

the common true expression on the board is

"The one thing we have in common, is that we are all different"

you might/probably will have to endure stalls :mellow:

can't let yourself get upset/disappointed

with the scale if you don't see the #s move as quickly as you like

easier said than done :huh:

my mom called me at home 2 days PO

she asked me in a very serious tone

"when you put your undies on this morning, did they fall to the floor?" :huh:

i contained my laughter and said something like

mom, it doesn't work that way!!! ;)

following program

eating 500-700 calories a day......

you WILL see B) your weight drop

take your measurements periodically

sometimes when your weight doesn't go down

the tape measure will :)

"God Grant Me Patience, Just Hurry Up About It" :D

keep up the good work :)

kathy

@@kndoster -- you are a very petite woman, and your current weight is 207. 14 pounds is an excellent loss!! It is easy to compare ourselves to others on this site, but we all started in a different place so we will lose weight differently. Some have started at a higher body weight and are taller, so their loss will look faster. I hit a stall between weeks 2 and 3 postop, and I was feeling a bit discouraged. Now at 5 weeks postop I am still under 20 pounds down, but I have never ever lost 17 pounds in 5 weeks!!!

Another thing I discovered through all this -- my body does not let go of weight every 7 days. We are taught to weigh ourselves weekly, but my body doesn't work that way. 10-12 days is my cycle. The weight WILL come off. It won't be overnight.

I can TOTALLY relate to the feeling that mom is disappointed. My mom lives 500 miles away, and has been supportive of me in this process, but I know the feeling completely -- my sister and I call it the "mother-pucker" -- she purses her lips and flares her nostrils when she doesn't agree with something we have said or done. It's hilarious. I don't know your age, but by your photo you look younger than me. I'm 53 and my mom still gets to me!!! Remember this is YOUR process, and you have done what you need to do. You are doing GREAT!!!

What is a typical eating day like for you?

Also there is a big myth about low carbs. I think it's more important what type of carbs you eat and when more than just low carb across the board. My carbs are actually fairly high most days and I have consistently been losing. I get anywhere from 56 -60 carbs a day and typically eat between 700 - 900 calories a days. However my Protein is always between 70 - 90 and I get in all my fluids, most of which is Water.

Take heart, some people truly are slow, but steady losers.

I'm surprised you're doing that much exercise this early. Most docs that I've heard about recommend only walking programs until 6 weeks out. .....

This really varies greatly from program to program. I was cleared to work out at 2 weeks and resumed Water aerobics at 3 weeks once my incisions scabbed over. Exercise plays a big part in my weight loss.

Edited by BLERDgirl

I'm gonna nerd out on some math here. But look at it this way. Your goal is to lose ~100 lbs. Well you've already lost 15% of that in just one month! Those are what I call results. So if you continue on this pace, you'll probably hit your goal in the next 6 months. Before your surgery, could you have ever imagined losing 100 lbs in 6 months? You are doing it. Don't lose sight of the goal here.

@BLERDgirl did you read the article I posted the link to? Totally confirms what you said about different kinds of carbs and why some are better than others. Just thought you'd like it if you didn't read it already.

I didn't know some people were cleared for anything other than walking that early. Seems like a rush to me BUT in my case, my stitches wouldn't desolve. At my 6 week check up, I was still trying to get my incisions to close. They actually had to reopen them to cut out the stitches. After that they finally started healing and I could start moving around easier. Still amazes me the different ways docs do things lol.

I actually didn't read the article, but I had done a lot of research and reading regarding health prior to my WLS. My journey to health started probably 3 - 4 years prior to deciding to have surgery. I wanted to eat real food as much as possible so I had read up on these things.

I think it depends on what method was used for your surgery. I had laporascopic surgery. I didn't have stitches or staples. I came home with steri-strips that fell off a few days later. I also had an insanely easy surgical process. I was walking in recovery and didn't use pains meds at all. I didn't have any issues with gas, nausea or vomiting.