Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any MedSurg Nurses who've been sleeved?

I'm just wondering if there are any sleevers out there who are nurses? Trying to wrap my head around being at work on a busy unit while trying to get my protein/nutrition in and take care of 5-8 patients for 12.5 hours per day. What are your tips for success?

I also am a Med/Surg RN. I am only POD 4 so I haven't yet returned to work. I am interested in what others have done to keep up on fluids & Protein while working busy 12hr shifts though.

I am an ER nurse. In the beginning, I didn't eat at work, I just drank two Protein shakes during a 12 hour shift, and sipped Water constantly. Now at almost a year out, I still bring a Protein shake to work, but only drink it if I didn't have time to eat a full meal. I also bring little Protein filled Snacks, like string cheese, that I can eat quickly while charting. I usually eat three times during a 12 hour shift, but I let my tummy dictate when they happen. Usually that's around 2130 (snack), 0100 (meal), and 0500 (snack if I ate my full meal, Protein Shake if I didn't). I always eat a full meal before heading into work, usually around 1730.

I literally never take a lunch break, I find that when I do try and eat whatever "meal" I've brought in just 30 minutes, it's a recipe for disaster. So I just eat at my work station, keep my food covered, and take bites between charting, answering call bells, getting EMS report, etc. (I work nights, so there are no "suits" around to tell me this isn't okay). I still sip Water constantly. Someone actually joked last night that he never sees me without my Tervis cup in my hand, sipping.

I won't lie and say that it wasn't difficult in the beginning, I have literally thrown up in most of the sinks in our (large) ER. But now it's fairly stress-free to eat at work, and I don't think my co-workers ever suspected anything funny was going on when I was still a fresh sleever. The beauty of nursing is that we're all so busy, we usually don't have too much time to pay attention to what everyone else is doing!

I do labor and delivery 12 hour shift 3x a week. I bring Protein Shakes and bars to work. I can eat even if I don't get a break. I also bring cheese sometimes or yogurt. If I buy something at work it will be a cheese omelette or like tuna from the salad bar. I use Atkins shrikes at work because the package has a top you can reuse. I also work overnight so I need to eat or I get too much acid build up. For drinking I use to be a diet coke freak. I found a Water called Avitae water. It's water with caffeine! It has 3 levels equal to a 12 oz soda a cup of coffee or an energy drink. I buy it at target or I buy by the case from Office Depot.

I'm a med/surg/tele RN and started back to work after one month post op. Just make sure to bring Protein drinks and water! Anytime I had any "downtime" (which isn't all that common) I was sipping on something. When I was able to start eating more I would bring cheese/yogurt also.

I am a Nurse on a multispecialty (med/surg/tele/neuro/ortho) floor. I work 12.5 hour days. I went back 3 weeks after my surgery. I had my surgery 2 months ago. The first few shifts were a struggle. I brought my Protein Shakes, Water, and a yogurt in on my first day. I was only able to drink about 8 oz all day of my water since I could only take sips, I drank 1 of my 2 Protein Drinks. Now I make it a priority to take all my breaks, which I had never done before, and sip water throughout the whole day. I realized that if I was feeling sick and dehydrated I could not give great patient care so it benefits a few minutes away every hour or so to get in those sips and eat a high Protein meal at lunch. We cannot have any food or drinks beyond our staff lounge so it takes a conscious effort to make sure I get in there as much as possible. I feel great now, a lot more energy at work than before my sleeve. Down 30lbs too!!

I'm so glad some one posted about this! I have been wondering my self about all of this info, thank you so much for sharing!!

I am L&L nite nurse as well. Had revision of lap band to sleeve on 3/18/15. Have been off for recovery. Start back to work this sunday. Very nervous about it. Still can't tolerate Protein Shakes. They make me super nauseated. Haven't needed caffeine at home. But know I will when going back to work. Was a diet Dr pepper. Plan coffee or ice tea. But that Water with caffeine sounds good idea. Will be advancing from pureed diet to soft food diet as I return to work. Down 23 pounds. And feel good so far. Have been walking a couple days a week to build up stamina. Surgery was done laproscopic. But still nervous about over doing it and causing herniation or internal damage. I am released for full duty by my Dr. Thanks for your ideas and suggestions. Especially from 12 hour night shifts!!

While I'm not a human nurse, I am a LVT (licensed veterinary technician). I work ER , 10 hours shifts. I rarely get a real break. I'm not sleeved yet, but I do have band currently (which I hope to be revising in June). That is the real hard part for me. I don't get to sit down to eat. My surgeon is like you have to sit down for at least 20 minutes to eat. It's the law. Yeah sure, when we are slammed and pets are crashing, I'll get right on that. Which is I think the problem is why I graze at work. This is something I have to work on.

First work shift post-op last night 12 hours. Went really well thanks to your suggestions/ideas. I had packed lots of options for meal break and Snacks. Also got some of the Avitae caffeine Water. It wasn't the busiest so made it easier. But at least establish althea start to a good pattern it should help. My well meaning patient. Gifted us with bag of peanut m&m's (one of my faves ) I thanked her graciously. Then walked out to desk holding them at arms length exclaiming....poison..poision.. handed them over. Don't want to even start ...lol!! Since I have been off feel that I have detox from craving candy. There will always be junk at work.....GOTTA STAY STRONG!!!

Tomorrow it will be 2 yea s since my sleeve. I am still 135 lbs down. Hope you like the caffeine Water. I am still hanging in there.

I work in an OR where food and drink are strictly verboten. Thank you for all of your suggestions and Ill let you know how it goes and what works for me.

Fireflea, I would love to hear how you do going back to the OR. My DOS is June 1, and going back to long cases is my biggest fear.

I am a tele/med surg nurse as well. I am currently POD 2 and am looking for advice as well. I am one of the clinical coordinators of my floor and usually in charge so I'm always helping someone else on top of taking my 5-7 patient load so it's hard to get breaks. I know I will have to force myself to take my breaks when I go back. I usually work 5-6 12 hour shifts a week.....premier Protein Shakes are going to be my first choice since they pack 30 grams if Protein and only 5 carbs and sugar....the containers are reclosable as well. What worries me most is no lifting and no cpr until 6 weeks out

Good subject! I hadn't even thought about CPR! Wow. I was thinking of going back sooner than later but I need to really think about what could happen vs what my capacity will be.