Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my first consult appointment with my surgeon on Tuesday 3/24/15. I thought it went really well and I'm looking forward to starting the process. My insurance requires a 6 month physician supervise diet and I start that April 1st. Has anyone else had their surgeon tell them that for your age (20's) that they would choose sleeve? My surgeon said if he were my age he would choose sleeve, I however was leaning towards bypass because of the amount of weight I have to loose and from what I've researched. He said I can't pick a wrong surgery and he supports me with either one.

Also he said I have a heart murmur, which I've never had anyone say before. Anyone else my age have a heart murmur, what was the cause? He would like me to have an echocardiogram but that wont be for a few more months.

I'm in my 20s (28 next week) and I'm having Gastric Bypass on 04/06. My doctor doesn't perform the VSG. She's not convinced by the current data, and in her professional opinion doesn't feel that there is enough long term data to measure. Her words, not mine. Personally, I wasn't interested in having the sleeve because I wasn't keen on having parts of my stomach removed. A lot of people on this forum have the sleeve and seem to really love it. Every body is different. I was considering lapband, but when I read about the potential complications (they all have complications) and lower success rate than the other surgeries, given the amount of weight I needed to lose and the fact that I want children in the next 5 years, my doctor and I decided gastric bypass would be best for me. I'm not sure what age would have to do with which surgery you choose...but I'm also not a doctor ;)

Go for the sleeve! Less dumping, less issues with being nutrient deficient. I am 33 and my Bariatric surgeon (who is the on the board of Bariatric surgeons and assesses other facilities for being top notch) said sleeve is becoming more main stream. People are having just as much success as the bipass patients. And... Removal of ghrelin (the hunger hormone) curbs cravings. I, too, am going through the 6 month insurance wait. I have 1 more month left! Excited to get going! Good luck!

Sleeve is definitely becoming more mainstream and a lot of people are going that route, but I was told they only have about 5 years of real results from it. I have seen a lot of folks gain their weight back afterwards (but of course, that can happen with any of the WLS). Biggest determining factor for me was reflux. It can get much worse after sleeve. My dr strongly recommended against that for me because I do have reflux. Having said that, from sleeve you can always have a conversion to bypass if needed later. Still not sure what age would necessarily have to do with it.

Good luck with whatever you decide! Agree that you can't make a bad decision here. Seems from the veterans the only bad decision is not doing anything. :)

Edited by Daisee68

I'm 26 and just starting my journey. I have the option of both ad well but think I'm leaning more towards the bypass. I am in the process of doing the 6months required first appointment is this Saturday. I have my mental health evaluation on Tuesday and waiting to schdule my sleep study. So I'm excited and nervous and impatient

Hey everyone I'm 25 and just starting my 6 month medically supervised diet as well. Feel free to keep in touch with me. I could totally use all the accountability and support.

Thanks for all the thoughts and opinions everyone. I've thought more about it and I think I still want to do the bypass, just because I don't want to get surgery and say have the sleeve and then regret I didn't do the bypass. I know people can lose just as much weight with sleeve as bypass but at least by the statistic you will probably lose more with bypass... and I have alot to lose.

For those who have 6 month supervised diet, is your doctor recommending you lose a specific amount or let you know what you should/shouldn't eat? I had my first monthly appt on April 1st and we talked about nutrition, behaviors and exercise. Nutrition he told me to start paying attention to Protein and look into supplements, behaviors he said to slow down when I eat and exercise to have 3 days of 30 min exercise every week. So... how is your 6 mo supervised diet going?

I had my consultation with my surgeon last Friday. I'm 21 and he actually recommended the bypass for me because of the amount of weight I need to lose. I'm weighed in at 309 the day of my consult. I also have a heart murmur that I've had since I was a child. I don't need to get any cardio testing done.

I'm personally going with the bypass. It has its cons, but I would rather deal with them and lose the weight that I want to lose. I'll have to take Vitamins for the rest of my life, may have issues with dumping and whatnot but it's worth it to me. Keep in touch and good luck!

Good luck on your journey and your completely right about the pros out weighing the cons. I'm half way there in 2 weeks I'll be completing month 4 of supervised weight loss. I will say that getting all the requirements sleep study egg phscy evaluation done early will help so you don't have much to worry about. Last thing on my to do list is an endoscopy