Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know this question probably has been asked a million times before but now it's my turn to ask. I'm new here and I'm taking the 12 week program leading up to bariatric surgery with Kaiser. I'm about to hit week 11 and my goals from week 0 have completely changed. Originally I blamed the odd pains that I've had in my body for the last year and a half on my weight. But in my blood test revealed my Vitamin D levels were dangerously low and put me on high does meds. Since I've been taking them my body feels MUCH better and the pain is completely gone.

Since starting these classes I've been putting the work in to lose weight and I've lost a surprising amount in only 8 weeks. Now I'm thinking about the future and traveling without having to pay for two seats. The only thing is the places I want to travel to are places where food consumption is at the top of my list for things to do. I'm worried that having this surgery will limit me too much and keep me from enoying the stuff I like. Wine-tasting comes to mind. I also heard your taste buds change.

I'm worried about regretting what I've done to myself. I'm worried about not being able to have fun or never being able to eat out again. I worry that the food will make me sick and I won't like it because of the surgery. I worry about cutting off one of the greatest reasons to travel overseas. A part of me wants to keep going and trying to do this on my own, but the other part of me feels I'll fail or not do as well as I could've done. So I ask, does anyone have any regrets about getting the surgery? Has any one had any experience traveling after surgery? Were you happy? DId you still have fun even though you couldn't consume anything? what did you do?

Thank you for reading!

I'm extremely V-D deficient. That stopped without meds after surgery as did my pre diabetes, beginnings of knee and foot pain and overall damage to my heart.

I, too, lost a lot of weight prop op, along with every time I did WWs, South Beach, Atkins, etc. That was easy, keeping it off wasn't. Now I am almost two years out and maintenance is fairly simple. I have a five pound bounce range and if I hit the top, I go back to all Protein for a few days, lose it and start again. I am done with diets, stress and guilt caused by obesity.

As far as travel. You'll still be able to eat, just not as much. Personally, I don't comprehend traveling just to eat, at least not any more. I now have the energy to see all the sights, the body to shop in all the boutiques and the desire to hit all the beaches. food no longer motivates me. It's an amazing release.

Yes, taste buds may change. I used to live for ice cream, now it makes me feel ill. I no longer want it. Every once in awhile, I'll have a bite but no more than that. The desire is just gone. It's a good thing.

If you aren't ready, don't do it. If you think you can do it non surgically, more power to you! But, if you think you can do it on surgically only to travel to all these places and feast, you are setting yourself up for failure. Think about that logic there. :D

Only you know if it's right for you. You shouldn't do it unless you are at peace with it. And maybe you aren't.

Before WLS, I used to wish that either I could just be happy fat and eat what I wanted, or that I could eat what I wanted and be thin, or that I wouldn't want to eat so I could be thin. Turns out that the sleeve put me pretty close to that third option.

I understand what you mean about eating as your reason to travel. I used to be like that. I'm not anymore, and I feel free! I'm planning a vacation, and food never crossed my mind until reading your post.

WLS has changed how I eat and how I think about food. I still enjoy food, go places for special food, but it is not at the center of all I do and think about. It's a pleasant sideline now, and I think it's in its proper place. I don't miss the way I used to be, but I sure do love the way I look, feel, and think now. So, no regrets here.

I occasionally get a little sad that I can't enjoy food the way I did before. But enjoying eating an entire pizza and a pint of ice cream is what got me fat in the first place. I also feel a little sad for my husband, because we don't go out to eat as often anymore and I know he misses it. I'm perfectly open to going to to eat most of the time, but I am no longer the one suggesting it. And since he doesn't bring it up often, it just doesn't happen. I'm perfectly content to eat at home now, as I don't really think of eating as "an experience" anymore.

But do I regret it? HECK NO!

I don't have any regrets at all..I may still be living on cloud 9 though.

Once you are fully healed, you will eat out and enjoy special meals and foods. Not in huge quantities.

You may not be ready for this surgery now. That's okay but just be honest with yourself either way. :)

Edited by woo woo

I want to add something that's been niggling at the back of my head since reading your initial post.

I used to be ruled by food. I never considered myself an "addict" until now when I reflect back on my habits. I own my own business and work out of my home. I spend a lot of time in my car meeting clients and team members.

I used to plan my routes around where I could grab some Breakfast and then a snack and then lunch. I would purposefully plan meetings to bump up to a meal and to be near a favorite lunch spot at that meal time. It was nothing to stop at one place for a burger and another for fries because of what I liked and where. It was nothing to grab another meal elsewhere as a treat because "I was never out that way" until the next time when I was.

I ate a lot in secret and a lot in my car. I denied this to myself, of course, but I was smacked in the face with that denial when I made a point of stopping to throw out the food bags before I got home so no one would know.

I would look at menus before going out under the guise of "planning my diet" when in reality, I was planning my failure. I ate salads when out with skinny friends and relaxed and gorged when out with fat friends. Vacations weren't meant for eating, but finding local spots and specialties was definitely a joy.

Now I'm free. My appetite is small and buying a complete meal is a waste. I can only hold 1/2 - 1 cup max. I can't dip into the bread basket because I can't eat a bite of bread and a meal, too. I save a ton of money sharing a few bites of my family's food, or just ordering an app.

I used to care about food and I never thought that would change until it did. I still like food, I still crave things from time to time, I still enjoy the little I eat, but I can only eat a little.

I truly believe that restriction has saved my life. Actually, it gave me a life back. Instead of food leading my life, it's my fuel. Nothing more, nothing less.

I had a lot of the giving up food fears too... I decided to go to counseling for emotional eating... It has been the best thing for me. I'm completely ready for this surgery cause ultimately I want to succeed at weight loss and stay that way. I'm reading a book, Life is hard, food is easy. If you think that this is your issue, it may help whether you decide to do surgery or not. Ultimately, it's a lifestyle change either way. Good luck ????

I lost 60 pounds prior to surgery. I learned so much through my nutritionist and I took his words to heart. I had a BMI of 31 the day of surgery. I felt great prior to having surgery and my PCM called me to tell me to stop taking my meds. So why did I have surgery? I wanted to keep the weight off for the rest of my life. It wasn't about the losing weight component. I wanted to be in that 50% of WLS patients who keep the weight off for good. I definitely wanted out of that group of the 99% who through diet & exercise alone end up gaining the weight back and then some.

I have traveled several times after surgery and the food still tastes wonderful, but just smaller portions. If you have someone to share with, it's more economical. The hard part to explain that your head will eventually adjust to the proportions that your sleeve will fit.

For example, I ordered an appetizer for my meal and it was 3 italian sausage links and peppers. When it arrived, my immediate reaction was, "This is three meals." Before surgery, that would've simply been an appetizer...with a main course to follow. Eating that third sausage in one sitting would not have been any more enjoyable than eating the first. I love that about the sleeve.

food just doesn't become a priority. Yes, food focus will likely be a huge focus for a few months post-op because you're trying to adjust to the lifestyle and you'll likely still be on a restrictive food selection. But you will very likely feel normal again in your eating habits. For me, 4-5 oz is the new norm. I enjoy the meals and then I'm done. I eat every 2-3 hours and it's wonderful.

You can have as much variety as you want, especially if you prepare your own food, which I highly recommend so you know what's going into your food.

You will still be able to eat junk food, Desserts, etc. That was your choice before surgery and it will be your choice after surgery. It's all about finding the balance and the sleeve can help with that if you work on the head hunger, which it looks like you are doing.

I have so much more energy now that traveling is more about moving around. My most recent trip I walked for over 5 hours almost non-stop three days in a row. A year ago I could barely get around the block. In all likelihood, you've adjusted your vacations to accommodate your limitations due to your size. That won't be a problem in the future. Losing the excess weight will open up a world of physical opportunities that you may have ignored before.

Best of luck to you!

Edited by AlwaysVegas

Regrets? ZERO. Nada. None. I've not been overseas since surgery but I don't see how that's any different than daily life for me. After the initial healing period, about 6 months before I felt "totally normal" again, I eat what I like in small quantities. I'm still compliant with my Protein goals, but eat, bread, Pasta, even the occasional sweet treat or alcoholic beverage, just in smaller amounts. I think I enjoy food more now that I'm not controlled by it.

@@ChaiTea - I have no regrets about having the surgery. @@alwaysvegas made some excellent points, as did everyone else who has commented on your post. And, I agree with them. Traveling should be about the destination you'll be visiting, the food is a bonus. Will you be traveling with a friend? It helps to have someone along with you because you can share a meal. When my husband and I go out to eat now, I eat off of his plate because it takes so little to fill me up now. My taste buds did not change after surgery, I still eat the same foods as I did before surgery, some more highly seasoned than before. Fortunately, my new tummy has tolerated everything I've eaten, i.e. spicy foods, beef Jerky :) , etc. This past weekend my husband and I wanted to eat at The Dillard House in Dillard, GA, while on a weekend trip. They serve family style and it's not cheap - $20+/person. Before being seated I told the hostess about my surgery and that I ate very little anymore and wondered if they could maybe charge me for a child's portion. She called over a manager who totally understood and said they've accommodated others who have had the surgery and then asked if $X.xx was okay, which it truly was because it was a much bigger discount than I was expecting. It wasn't about the $$, but about the amount I knew I could and would eat. Once you're past the earliest part of your recovery and starting to eat regular foods, you will find your way. Initially you'll be thinking about food a lot because you'll be planning what you eat, when, and how much. Your new tummy will definitely be your guide. Just be sure to listen to your surgeon and nutritionist.

I'm 6 weeks sleeved and regret it. although my recovery doesn't seem the norm. I have a kink in my sleeve and have felt horrible since day 1. I wish I would have known not everyone recovers in the said 2 weeks

Hi P,L & S...

So sorry you have to suffer!

How did the kink occur ? Did DR. work to quickly? What is to be done to get you up and moving.