Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else have a SW OF 280 lbs and want to share their success story?

Hi everybody!

I'm currently in the hospital and looking for some encouraging success stories for people who started in the 280s. Would love some eating and working out advice. Also what were you able to lose each month?I love this site bc it has been an extreme encouragement during this whole process! Thanks guys!! ????

I started at 308 and lost 150# to get to goal in 14 months. Lost a little more later. I advise to not get to hung up in monthly weight loss. Just keep following your plan and the weight loss follows. This isn't a crash diet it's a permanent way of living.

Heal fast and good luck!

I started at 271 and now eight months post op I am 155. I am only 15 pounds from my personal goal weight. I don't really know how much I lost each month because I try really hard not to just focus on the scale- and boy is that hard. I never weigh more than once a week.

I didn't work out except for some mild walking until about month four and then I felt ready to step it up. I actually don't mind exercise now, I used to hate it. I try to keep things mixed up by going to gym, walk/run outside, and home workouts. I love feeling my body get stronger.

Good luck to you. Just remember that this is a process and not a race. While I do weigh, I focus each week on my non scale accomplishments and how much better I feel. This is a wonderful journey and welcome to your new life. You will do great.

Wow, yeah you look great! That's right around my goal weight! I'm 2 days post op today and feeling pretty miserable, everytime I wake up I feel like I'm going to throw up and I'm in a lot pain/ not hungry. When am I going to be out of the woods? I did not anticipate this much discomfort, the gas is overwhelming.

The gas will subside only when u push it out. Walk walk walk. It will move. The first couple weeks are rough. I didn't hurt. Nor was I sick throwing up. I just felt really weak. Mal nourished. I struggled (still struggle) with getting my fluids and Protein in. I am 4 months out and I'm down 53 pounds. I have been in a stall for a few weeks ???? but I'm not worried I know it will start moving again. I started my surgery at 275. Don't worry with your numbers the 1st couple months. You will go nuts. I am just now to the point where I stopped weighing EVERYDAY. BC it drove me crazy not to. I feel better tho and that's the main thing. From a size 22 to a 16. Still lots to go. But just now picking up the exercise routine. As I needed to lose 50 pounds 1st to relieve some stress on my knees. Good luck to U and can't wait to see your progress!

My HW before pre-op diet was 282. I'm now down to 199 in eight months. I'm pear-shape and carry my weight in my legs (I have a circulatory condition) and my butt, which I think is harder to lose than apple-shaped, stomach/bust weight, but even though I'm slower than some on this list, the losses have been steady and my eating is at a very sustainable pace. I don't feel that I'm dieting or that I'm deprived. With the help of Mr. Sleeve, I perceive myself as eating like a "normal" person - I eat, get full, and stop eating. Before surgery, I never got full unless it was Thanksgiving dinner! Unlike some others on this list, I don't have any forbidden foods. I eat out at restaurants often due to the nature of my work but choose lean Proteins and only eat half portions. I even eat dessert sometimes - eating one cookie can satisfy me now rather than 6 (or 12?) Cookies.

The first two weeks are by far the hardest. The three week stall is hard too. But after that, I hope it is as smooth for you as it's been for me.

Surgery weight 291, current weight 142, 17 months out. I just followed the guide I was given by the doctor's program until I was comfortable with the change in my eating habits. I still weigh my portions. I don't count calories because I eat pretty much the same food everyday. I also now just feel normal. I get hungry, I eat, get full and move on. It is just easier to get full now, which makes me feet normal. Pre surgery it took a lot of food for me to get full and then it wouldn't last very long. I no longer eat Desserts or junk food. I am not depriving myself, I just don't want those foods anymore. I don't know what happened along this journey, if the surgery changed me or if my brain was reprogrammed after not having the sweets, etc., but I no longer desire these things.

Thank you everyone for your responses, they're all really encouraging! Since starting my 2 weeks pre- op diet and having my surgery on 3/10 I have lost 35 lbs! I'm so happy! This sleeve is blowing my mind! Can't wait to be able to eat some real food again, but I'm trusting the process and I have also found in really in tune with my body now. Never really paid super close attention to all the little feelings of fullness, etc., it's pretty cool!

Surgery weight 291, current weight 142, 17 months out. I just followed the guide I was given by the doctor's program until I was comfortable with the change in my eating habits. I still weigh my portions. I don't count calories because I eat pretty much the same food everyday. I also now just feel normal. I get hungry, I eat, get full and move on. It is just easier to get full now, which makes me feet normal. Pre surgery it took a lot of food for me to get full and then it wouldn't last very long. I no longer eat desserts or junk food. I am not depriving myself, I just don't want those foods anymore. I don't know what happened along this journey, if the surgery changed me or if my brain was reprogrammed after not having the sweets, etc., but I no longer desire these things.

This is some of the best stuff I've read!! I'm four and a half weeks out and just the last few days I have seemed to get into some sort of rhythm with food and meals. Food just isn't a priority to me anymore and I no longer am consumed with what my next meal will be and if there'll be enough. I don't have ANY cravings!! I get somewhat hungry, or eat because I need too. Eat slowly, chew my food, get to a comfortable feeling, save the rest until next meal and forget about it! It truly is a miracle!!