Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

does viber or google hangouts work to make wifi calls in mexico

Does anyone know if I can use the viber or google hangouts app to make calls back to the u.s. over the hotel or hospital wifi while i am in Mexico? I heard somewhere that voip calls are blocked in mexico but I'm not sure if that also pertains to viper and google hangouts app calls on wifi.

While I was in Mexico from Friday till Monday morning I used Google talk to video chat and text with my husband. MY daughter had a basketball game that saturday and I was able to watch some of it. We also used meebo. I left my phone in airplane mode the whole time I was there.

I think Skype to skype viber to viber and google to google calls will work. What may not work are viber google or Skype calls while in mexico to a u.s. Land line or cell phone number. That is where obtaining a mexican SIM card or switching to an international plan for a month could be necessary. I put the viber app on both my and my wife's phone and I will leave my phone in airplane mode while in mexico.

I used the magic jack ap :)

We used Skype the whole time I was there. I just connected to wifi on my phone or computer and talked to my family with Skype. And I did leave my phone on airplane mode the whole time I was in Mexico. I have Verizon and as soon as we crossed the border, I got a text saying I was roaming internationally. I turned it to airplane mode then.

We travel to Mexico on vacation a lot (cancun, Isla mujeres, Puarta Vallarta.). The cheapest option is to use an app such as Viber. The other party also has to have the app installed on their phone to use it. The problem is many of the hotels (at least where we have stayed) have had really poor wifi in the rooms, so It's limiting where you can make calls. Sometimes I've had to go down in the hotel lobby. If you have an iPhone, you can also text another iPhone for free over wifi. It costs about $30 to add an international plan to your regular cell phone plan when traveling if you want to make calls without wifi. If you know where you're having your surgery, you can easily connect with others who have stayed at the hotel you're considering and ask about their wifi connection. :)

Edited by Bluesea71

Thanks...I loaded viber on both my and my wife's smart phones and I will plan to use the wifi at the hospital angeles in Tijuana as that is were I will be staying the entire five nights I am in mexico. Hopefully the hospital angeles wifi will be fast enough to handle viber. I would also like to stream Netflix while at the hospital if the wifi is fast enough.