Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who else has been through this and conquered it?

Hi Everyone

VSG done in November 2012--followed by a total hip replacement that Spring.

My chronic hip pain is due to congenital hip dysplasia (second surgery for the other hip yet to be scheduled). I am only 49! Ugh.

Initially lost about 60 lbs after my WLS, but have since gained 8# since this past Fall and loooooong, cold, snowy winter here in Boston.

I put myself back on track for the past week after dragging out the scale (did not get on this thing all winter long out of fear and presumed weight gain) I've reinsituted a Protein Drink or two a day, along with more fluids, more sleep, and omitting all simple carbs.

I mean, who was I kidding right? You can"t eat slider foods, overindulge in chocolate and wine and NOT expect to gain weight!

I guess I just need to know that others have been in this spot and have climbed out of this self induced pity pot so I won't feel so alone in this.

The good news, is that in the past week, I've lost 4 of the 8 gained. (I know it's Water loss, etc but still pretty happy I am seeing the scale go in the other direction!

Thanks for reading this and I am glad to be back on this forum and getting real with myself.

If you too, have been through this, I would love to hear your struggle and what tips or strategies worked well for you.

Edited by KK66

Sorry can't relate but congrats for getting back on track!!good luck!!

Not been there yet, but I see lots of stories like yours -- reversing a small weight gain -- on this forum.

I had surgery July 2013. I have lost 75 pounds but have stayed the same weight now for almmost 11 months. I could come up with lots of reasons - but reality is I believe I just got a little careless. I have vowed to re-committ this weekend. I had started running last fall and continue to do that but will add in a little resistance training. I keep telling myself everything is a choice - and if I really really want this bad enough I will continue to make the right choices and get to goal weight. I have approximately 40 pounds left to go and yes for the past month I have been having a little self pity party as well.

Re-commit to yourself and know you can do this! Many people struggle off and on throughout this journey - the trick is to pick yourself back up and keep going!

All the best to you

I had surgery in October 2014. I hit a stall until I started going to the gym. I was very shy about going to the gym. I got over it. I go to the gym at 5am every morning for 30 to 45 minutes a day. I over indulge in slider foods and mini reece cups are my biggest weakness... and if they go in the freezer omg its heaven.

I'm still losing weight and haven't gained any yet. I met my goal and then beat it but I'm still losing and working on that six pack for summer vacation so I can make all my relatives jealous. lol.

I gave up the Protein shakes but maybe I need to start back on them. I think you have conquered this already... only gaining 8 lbs... I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the replies and insight.

its been tough to keep it up this winter ( no get your head out of the gutter :-) ) im just south of boston in Weymouth. With so much snow still on the ground ( you know its bad when after all this time you still have 2 feet minimum on the ground and still 8 to 10 feet piles in other places too. Youll get past it all, you certainly have the right attitude. Keep it up someday we will see spring and with spring, new hopes for the future. lol

Update, another pound gone...three more to get back where I was last Fall....

These last #20-25lbs are pretty difficult and don't want to leave my body!

8 pounds is totally recoverable particularly when you catch it and focus to get back where you belong like you are! Hip replacement at 49... I feel your pain. Sleeved October of 2014, hip displasia diagnosed in my 20's. Was told then I'd need double hip replacements eventually. Cartilage gone now.I have to be VERY careful not to over walk, over train, over bend... You get the picture. Docs are telling me it's best to wait on the hip replacement if I can manage given my relatively tender age of 48.

Had to stop all workout activity for about a month due to pain, over the holiday's no less (I ride a stationary bike 5x per week and follow with push ups\crunches several days). I managed not to gain outside my maintenance zone, but got close. Then the last 2 weeks with Strep\sinus infection couldn't exercise and again got close to going over. Back at it this morning, VERY light duty, felt good!

So is the pain better now? Do you feel like it solved the problem? You're young! What about having to have it done again due to wear on the replacement joints? The only folks I know who've had it done are in their 60's or above and they say "why'd I wait so long". What do you think?

I haven't "gained" any. But I am 4.5 months out and haven't lost any for a month. I too got frustrated it's been cold... I've made comfort food stuck in the house! So I put myself back in check this week and actually lost a pound. Now the weather has turned I'm back on track again. You can do it. Just get focused!!!

I would say go ahead and do the hip replacement. Even if I need it replaced a second time for revision, it probably won't be until I am close to 70 (which, IMO is better than a revision in my 80's)

The recovery was not that bad. I took ten weeks off but probably only needed 7 or 8 total

Pain was completely gone post op--like a miracle of sorts

Why be in pain? I am planning my second one within a year. I'll be 50 in January

Edited by KK66

Down 9 lbs from my initial post. Lost the 8 I gained plus a bonus pound

Now it's time to focus on losing those last pounds to get to my original goal

I don't care if this takes me another six months as long as I get this done.