Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice needed after a complete unfilled due to a slip.

emergency unfill as band had slipped after violet vomiting due to the flu.this was the day before thanksgiving Nov. 26th..weight was 142

today's weight 165.... was told that after you have a complete unfill it will never be the same..kinda like when you brake a seal you can never get it back what it was when first placed.

I had to wait for 6 weeks before I could go back into see how everything was looking... well everything looked great so they added .5 cc into my 10 cc band On January 7th..felt nothing...

3 weeks later January 29th had another fill of 1.5 cc and nothing again..

next time Feb.12th they added 1cc..I can eat a Cow and nothing at all...

when I had to have all the Fluid removed I only had 3 cc's....In 5 days it will be 1 year sense I had my lap band placed and loved my new life ,I had lost 65 pounds in total..

I have another fill on March 17th.

So here I am almost 1 year to the day and I feel like I am fighting a loosing battle as I still have No Restriction.I am up 23 pounds and climbing no matter what I do the weight just keeps packing on.

Never had my band unfilled, but I imagine it is just as it was in the beginning...as though the band is not there at all...so the fill process begins.

People react to different fill amounts....my first fill was more than you had in total...4cc's first fill, 4 weeks after surgery...and it did nothing. As a matter of fact, I gained weight after my first fill.

2nd fill was 4 weeks after that, or 8 weeks from surgery. 2 cc's were given for a total of 6. After that, things were so-so, stopped gaining, but still always hungry and not much in the way of Portion Control.< /p>

I suppose I could have stopped there and with the use of some good old will power and self discipline, I would have lost weight. But i don't have much of that when it comes to dieting...that's why I needed surgery in the first place.

It took 3 fills for a total of 7cc's to put me over the top.

That was over 3-1/2 years ago since my last fill....everything is still as good today as it was then.

Why did you need to have your band emptied?

Edited by B-52

Thank you B. for your reply back.. Tomorrow will be 1 year!... and even though I am at a stand still right now,at least the gaining part has slowed down some.... I am very Thankful to how far I have come this year.....My band Slipped due to Violent vomiting due to the flu..(even made sure to have the flu shot).....I am looking forward to next appointment on the 17th and pray that I will start to have some restriction.

Sadly this has been my and other's experience. Once unfilled, it seems extremely difficult (in my case impossible) to obtain the same feeling of restriction. I am curious as to why this is, and I hope some band doctor researchs this because so many bandsters who have been unfilled and are now re-filling state the same thing: a re=fill (even if done very slowly) back to the previous fill level does not feel the same as the original fill.

When I started getting my refills after an emergency unfill, the radiologist told me they never take you all the way back up in one fell swoop. The stomach has "relaxed" during the unfilled period and you just can't zap 6 ccs into the band like that. So we went very slowly (see my ticker) and once I got to 5 ccs I had to stop the process entirely as I started having band complications. (That's an entirely different thread).

I lost the bulk of my weight at 3 ccs...and now, at 5 ccs it is as if I have no band at all. Seriously. I feel no restriction whatsoever, and am only hanging onto my lost weight by fighting regain tooth and nail. The band is doing nothing for me at all.

I hope this will not be your case and you will refill slowly and suddenly you'll be at your green zone. I'm sorry you had a slip (and sorry you had that awful flu) because no one deserves complications, especially when you have done so well.

I'm kind of the opposite. Had an unfill and ended up not finding restriction. Come to find out there was a leak in my tubing..didn't have prior to the unfill. So after getting that fixed. I feel more restriction with less in my band. Everyone is different. Hope you get it solved

thank you for your reply's...... I have my next refill on the 17th and am praying that something starts to work.... Yesterday was My 1 year Anniversary with my band I am now at 42 pounds lost...I know I should be happy with that... and in some ways I am feeling proud... but knowing as of yesterday I am up 23 pounds in just a little over 3 months the sadness and disappointment is there....with having no restriction I have wondered if maybe I have a leak ..just looking for anything to make sense why I feel nothing at all....Good Luck Parisshel I look forward to hearing that you start feeling some restriction again very soon....2babutterfly That is such wonderful news that you had a positive Unfill event and hope you are enjoying the new changes and clothes...lol