Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm scheduled for June, and the only fear I have is what we might find out about the sleeve years down the road. Anyone have an opinion?

Well, as best I can tell from reading published research (please do this!) and reading these forums for years... the main long term risks of the sleeve are:

1. Not making goal/regain. I know we keep harping it is "just a tool" but it is the truth.... it takes effort to sustain a significant weight loss. Do not be fooled, you CAN regain weight even with a small tummy.

2. Acid reflux. There is evidence that even people who do pretty well with this early on MIGHT develop this problem even 3-4 years down the road. I don't recall the percentage - but I think it is in the ballpark of 20% of sleevers have at least some issue with reflux in the 3-6 years down the road. Most people who get this can control it with meds, but if it is really really bad might have to revise to bypass. I am doing good 3 years out, but it is one reason I am careful to not eat big meals, I try to baby my sleeve on this point...

3. Emotional issues. As a wise woman once said "you don't get to be 300# without having some emotional baggage." Some people feel depressed losing their best friend (obesity? overeating?), some people have addictive behaviors and transfer it to booze or something else, some people struggle with changing relationships. It's a big change.

I feel I have done really well. I don't think I realized I was signing up to transform my whole life, but that is what has happened. It hasn't always been easy, but now I am feeling like I am living a life closer to my real heart.

Edited by CowgirlJane

I did worry about that but now I'm just living in today.

My only concern is that there is no long term data on the titanium staples that we will forever carry with us. I fear one day there will be one of those commercials "if you or a loved one had titanium staples....." yeah, that freaks me out lol

LOL @@MoMo12onTheGo about the commercial. True!

However, while the use of gastric sleeve for primary weight loss is on the newer side as far as research goes, it is not a new procedure at all. They've been cutting peoples stomachs out for years for a variety of reasons and using all kinds of stuff to secure them, so I'm less worried about that.

I wonder about things like what missing hormones (that we don't know are missing) might do . Or things like hypoglycemia or hypotension. We know that those are potential late complications.

Anyway, I don't worry about it anymore. It's too late anyway! I do worry about regain, though! There are more and more studies coming out, and recidivism of obesity is common, though the stats vary depending on the study. However, I do have some control over that. WLS isn't magic, so I do what I can to not add to that particular statistic.

@@MichiganChic .. after successfully losing my weight once and doing it with lifestyle change and a trainer, I became that statistic of being the 95% of people that cannot maintain the loss long term. So, I am with you and will not allow myself to fail at this. I will do everything I am asked to do by my team and if I start to slide, I will ask for help to get back on track. There is no way I am going through all of this and letting my tummy be cut off and stapled inside me (freaks me out) just to go mess it up.

~~Taking control of my life, for GOOD this time!

My only concern is that there is no long term data on the titanium staples that we will forever carry with us. I fear one day there will be one of those commercials "if you or a loved one had titanium staples....." yeah, that freaks me out lol

Titanium has been used for years. I have 2 titanium plates plates in my head (most of my skull) as well as a handful of titanium screws.

By the time I kick the bucket, I might be 75% titanium.

I have not lost much weight at all. I had my band removed in December 2013 and sleeved March 2014 and only lost 34 pds and gained back 13 pds. Now I've learned I'm battling hypoglycemia. I worked out hard over the past few years watched my fat intake and now I'm told I'm not getting enough fat in and to stop working out. Been battling dehydration for over year. I get headaches and acid feeling from my stomach which triggers headaches. I really regret this surgery. All of them