Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! I'm a 37 year old wife, mother of 2 & professional. I looked in WLS a few years ago, but was turned off by surgeon turnover in the hospital-- so I dropped it. I got a post card 2 weeks ago informing me they had a new surgeon, I looked him up and he has a very strong credentials and positive patient feedback-so I've decided to go for it. I love my husband, my carer and my kids. WLS, I'm hoping, will only enhance my ability to enjoy the things I love in my life even more.

I had my consultation appt on 3/4. I'm undecided on my surgery type. I went in leaning towards DS, but the bariatric team came off as though I wasn't a good candidate for DS. There is plenty of time to discuss why they feel that way-- but I do have my reservations about the procedure. (Actually I have reservations about all 3, but who doesn't!) So my other choices are RNY or GS. As I go though the pre-op testing, I'll talk more to my team and decide which to do.

Why did I decide to go this route? Honestly; I got tired of waiting on my husband to try and work on our weight together. (He does support my doing this though). I had to take the bull by the horns and forge forward for me. My kids are a little older (10 & 12), and are more independent so there are a few less demands on my time in terms of motherhood. I'm hypothyroid following a total thyroidectomey and a horrible 5 year battle with Graves disease (I won :-). I'm pre-diabetic, and have borderline hypertension, no other health issues.

Why am I fat? Well obviously cause I make the wrong choices with food and don't exercise enough ;-). Emotionally, its because I was berated about my weight from an early age by my parents/relatives. (Oddly it wasn't till I was an adult that I realized I wasn't even fat!! Wish they'd have encouraged me rather than berate me). I truly had no one to teach me about nutrition. And of course the same people who berate me (my Mom) shoveled food in me by the #.

My fat history: I didn't try losing weight until after i had my second son. I did weight watchers; was successful and got down to my lowest weight of my adult life: 250. My son was dx'd autism and I lost myself trying to help him...so the pounds crept on eventually. Graves Disease helped me lose and gain 20-30 #'s while I struggled with it. When I made the decision to remove my thyroid, that finally set me on level ground. I'm one year post-op from my thyroid surgery, and I'm hoping I'll be at a normal thyroid level with my next blood work.

My sister had DS, and two other family member have lap-bands; so I have a great support system. I have pre-op testing (GI, pulmonologist, lab work and ultrasound) scheduled over the next two week. I'll will schedule my psych eval as well. I see my surgeon again on 4/8/15 and hope to be down 10#'s. Luckily, my insurance covers surgery 100%; except for my hospital co-pay of $150/night & my in-office visit co-pays.

I look forward to getting to know you all!

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you're on the right path of doing your research and consulting a good WLS team. I totally relate with this

"Why am I fat? Well obviously cause I make the wrong choices with food and don't exercise enough ;-). Emotionally, its because I was berated about my weight from an early age by my parents/relatives. (Oddly it wasn't till I was an adult that I realized I wasn't even fat!! Wish they'd have encouraged me rather than berate me). I truly had no one to teach me about nutrition. And of course the same people who berate me (my Mom) shoveled food in me by the #."

I look back at old photos and wonder why I ever thought I was fat. It's a self image struggle I think I'll have to deal with my whole life.

Congratulations on taking the first steps in this journey and welcome aboard.

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you're on the right path of doing your research and consulting a good WLS team. I totally relate with this

"Why am I fat? Well obviously cause I make the wrong choices with food and don't exercise enough ;-). Emotionally, its because I was berated about my weight from an early age by my parents/relatives. (Oddly it wasn't till I was an adult that I realized I wasn't even fat!! Wish they'd have encouraged me rather than berate me). I truly had no one to teach me about nutrition. And of course the same people who berate me (my Mom) shoveled food in me by the #."

I look back at old photos and wonder why I ever thought I was fat. It's a self image struggle I think I'll have to deal with my whole life.

Congratulations on taking the first steps in this journey and welcome aboard.

Thanks beachgurl! I tell you family can be a double edge sword! I don't talk much with my mother, and don't plan on telling her anything about my surgery until after its done.

I did tell my parents before my surgery but now I'm regretting it. They have been more than supportive but every time I talk to my mom she asks me how much I've lost. My loss has dramatically slowed in the last few weeks so every time I talk to her I have to be reminded of that. Then of course she has quite a few opinions about what I'm doing wrong (because of course it must be my fault).

Hi there and welcome! Choosing myself first was such an amazing life-changing decision for me -- and of course every one else benefits from that because I'm centered and happy. (Wish I had figured that out years ago!). All those issues of being deserving, worthy, etc. Getting WLS was me saying I Choose Me! I am showing up for my life and it feels GREAT. I say all of this because I hear it in your post above -- you are going to do beautifully. Good luck with the whole process. You are really grabbing a hold of your health and your futures. Way to go.

I want to wish you the best of luck with which every surgery you decide on. Our stories are similar. I am 39 and a mom to a wonderful 11 year old. He was diagnosed with Tourette's syndrome and ADHD about 3 years ago. All my focus went into him and how I could help him. I begin to notice I couldn't do everyday things with him and that my weight was hampering my life. That's when I knew I needed to focus on me. I don't want to leave him without a mom.

As for family, I too was berated by my family as a child for my weight. I wasn't even chubby back then. My relationship with my dad isn't very good. So, I didn't tell him about my surgery until 2 weeks after I had it done. I regret every saying anything. Now I get constant text messages asking how much weight have it lost now.

Best of luck to you!

Welcome. I had many questions and reservations when I started this process also. I went to my initial consult wanting lap band surgery. My surgeon recommended the sleeve and said he felt this was a better option for me. He did not pressure me but suggested I do some research and gather all the information I could about WLS. I went to see my PCP and had a very informative conversation with her. She was a great help. I than attended a seminar with my husband where my surgeon explained the different WLS and answered all my questions. I have attended supports and listened to everyone's stories, always taking notes. I have read anything I could get me hands on. This forum has been a big blessing. I learned a lot from people that have gone through this process. This Saturday I will attend a class on nutrition, exercise, meal planning, dining out and will finish it off with pre-op orientation with a registered nurse. I feel I am ready for my surgery and I know I made the right decision for me. By the way, I will have gastric sleeve on March, 18th. I wish you all the best and I know you will make the right decision for you. Keep us posted.

Hello and welcome

Welcome! Sounds like you are taking the decision of which surgery will be best for you very seriously. I definitely recommend you do extensive research and get answers to all your questions from your surgical team before deciding.

welcome to the best support group there is. So happy that you made the decision to get healthy and happy. I was not a "fat" kid but was programmed to eat everything on my plate. My mother grew up during the depression and never got over being hungry. She never wasted a bite of food. I am sure I was not obese as a child because back in those days we had lots of outdoor activities and chores. WE even had recess and physical education at school. I did not get heavy until my late 40's pre-menopause and I had quite smoking which put 50# on my small frame quickly. After many unsuccessful weight loss programs, Nutrisystem, weight watchers, Jenny Craig, HCG, doctor supervised weight loss, etc. I felt I might be doomed to be overweight. After being diagnosed with diabetes , high blood pressure and high cholesterol I realized that my future health was in jeopardy. so, at age 66 I decided to get serious and get healthier. I also did some research and decided on lapband . After losing 70 lbs I feel like a new person . Best of Luck and keep us informed.