Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breastfeeding after surgery?

My son is 13 months old and my surgery date in is about 4-6 weeks. When I started the journey, I thought that stopping nursing around now would be okay- we would both be ready, but neither of us are...

Mornings and nights are really it, but it makes nighttime routine and sleeping in to a decent hour possible.

Sooo... Is it possible to continue nursing after surgery? I know the first day or so I'll be too sore, but after then? Or is there just not enough calories/fluid intake for production? Anyone have any insight/experiences to share? Thanks!

I've read on here that some women did not lactate after the surgery, therefore they couldn't breast feed their babies. But everyone is different. My friend has friends who had the sleeve done and they breast feed with no problem

If you decide to continue with breastfeeding, make sure you pretty much transition him to toddler foods and the cup before the surgery, and plan to use the breastfeeding as bonding/snuggle time. At 13 months your son is probably getting a lot of his nutrition from food anyway, so the demand on your body might not be too extreme. However, directly after surgery, you probably will not be able to get enough fluids in to keep your milk production going. As your intake improves (usually about a month after surgery), your milk production might improve as well.

I am 2 weeks post op. I stopped breastfeeding my 15 month old in October, as my blood work showed severe vit d deficiency, and the vit d supplements I needed would be toxic to him. That being said, I cannot imagine trying to breastfeed, I cannot get enough calories in. Keeping hydrated is rough, and your belly will have numerous incisions, that will be somewhat sore. There are amazing women that do it! Good luck!

hi, I continued to breastfeed my two year old after surgery. I thought my milk would dry up after spending that night at the hospital away from him but it didnt! Also, I didnt need pain meds so I wasnt worried about poisoning him or anything

I actually blamed not being able to lose weight on breastfeeding and hormones. Now that I am postop I realize it was just an excuse and my eating was to blame

hi, I continued to breastfeed my two year old after surgery. I thought my milk would dry up after spending that night at the hospital away from him but it didnt! Also, I didnt need pain meds so I wasnt worried about poisoning him or anything

I actually blamed not being able to lose weight on breastfeeding and hormones. Now that I am postop I realize it was just an excuse and my eating was to blame

Thank you for posting. I'm still nursing my 2 yr old (all my kids weaned between 3 and 4 yrs old) and was a bit worried. But he only nurses a bit, and I don't make much milk anymore anyway, so sounds like I should be fine.

Have you had your surgery yet? I had in on June 24th and have continued nursing my 16 month old daughter. Positioning has been interesting, but so far so good. She eats a lot of table food too so I'm honestly not worried about breastmilk quality at this point. I do know that she missed her momma while I was gone, and nursing is a huge way for her to connect to me right now.