Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Broken Band=Broken Heart(Lost Hope)

Hey folks, I have decided to reach out for some help and give this one last shot. In a nutshell, I was banded In Nov. 2008 and was Rockin all they way thru 2011. In 2012 I started to notice weight gain. I thought it was just me b/c I had not been going to the gym, since my shoulder injury. Finally decided last year, 2014,, I decided to go for a fill at the suggestion of my manager who had been banded as well. He actually had me to go to his Dr. Well long of the short, my first time going for a fill and they could not complete it. While under X-ray, it just wasnt working. Doc said I needed to have Laparoscopic surgery to see exactly what was wrong, he was leaning towards a broken band or corrupt port. Anyway, Since I could not afford the Laparoscopic surgery ($1,800 OOP) - insurance deductible is $6K so I would have to pay. I have been so dis-heartened and depressed since the weight gain and even more so b/c I feel I have wasted 7 years and almost back at square 1....almost -:). I have not been able to wrap my mind around starting over and doing it all on my own which is why I needed the band(help) in the first place. I would appreciate anyone with advice and encouragement b/c I have just given up hope. Thanks for listening and everyone please enjoy the remainder of your day.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. Maybe you can get Care Credit and put the OOP on that so you can get your surgery? Maybe the doc should start at the port site and make a small incision to see if maybe the port is just flipped?? Then if that's not the case, go for the bigger surgery to look at the band. There has got to be something else he can try if you can't get the money, CT maybe? There could be a kink in the tubing?? I hope you can get it figured out soon. I've had multiple complications with my band and will be having it removed and revised to RNY in January 2016. Best of luck!

I'm sorry you're going through this. Just sending support. I hope they figure it out.

@@Chellie I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. The first thing that comes to mind when I read this is why are they going directly into surgery when they haven't affirmatively identified the problem? I would want to know exactly what the problem is and what they need to do to fix it before going into any type of surgery. Saying something is wrong under x-ray and then going directly into needing laparoscopic surgery to figure out the problem, seems a bit unusual? Maybe consider getting a second opinion? This was your first appointment with this Dr. right? Keep going, keep searching until you can find someone that will give you answers and who can work with you if you do need surgery. Ask about payment options. Do you know if you have any fill left in your band?

Never give up on yourself!!! I can't imagine how upset you must be right now, I would be too. Just a couple of thoughts, is there a way for you to work with what you have? I mean the band is still there, it may not have the the fill it once had or maybe it doesn't have any at all no one knows, but what if you tried resetting, going back to the very beginning liquids, mushies, softs and then solids. Maybe your band and your stomach just need a restart in order to jump start things? This is what I would do if it were me. You've not wasted 7-years, you've gained a lot of knowledge about yourself and your strength during this time, you've worked the band, you've been successful, you're not back to where you started and an even bigger success is that you've not gained back more than you started with so you can still do this. I would consider all of your options before making a decision especially if it involves surgery on your first appointment.

I wish you all the best!!! Please keep us posted on what you find out!

Edited by enjoythetime

I agree with the 2nd opinion statement. I think it's unusual to say well let's go to surgery right away. I know there are many test that can confirm a slip, port flip etc. that would determine exactly what happened Find another bariatric surgeon and get another opinion before you shell out any money. I hope you get it resolved soon

I had the band in 2009 and had it removed in 2010 because I didn't lose anything and it hurt before the bypass in dec 2014. I agree with the other two people. They should be doing an X-ray. What if it needs to be removed? Will he repair and replace or put you through another procedure? I know this is heartbreaking but this isn't your fault. You did nothing wrong things happen with the band all the time. This is a bump in the road on your journey that's all it is mama. Do your own research and get a second opinion.

You need and can get more information about your band situation. For example, they can certainly draw out the saline you have in there to check the fill level. Do you know what your fill level was supposed to be? If it is say, 4 cc, they should verify that there is 4 cc still in there. It could be you have a leak, and that is simple and easy to ascertain...they will fill you and have you come back in a couple of weeks and see if the fill level has held. (If it hasn't, then you have a leak in the band or the tubing.)

When you say xray, to you mean fluoscopy? They should be able to see band placement and restriction with a fluoscopy. They might also see if there is a kink in your tubing or it the tubing has become detatched.

Ask them what they mean by "broken band" and why this "brokenness" isn't visible with the fluoscopy. Certainly there are cheaper ways to diagnose a misfunctioning band than immediate surgery. Sheesh!

Good morning everyone, happy Friday!

Wow , luv you guys!! I thank you so much for your input and support, great feed back and information. I am going to digging today and look into my other optons. This gives me a new hope, was unable to see the other side b/c of the dissapointment(s). Awesome support group, I hope you all have a Beautiful Friday & weekend, I will reply back with an update as soon as I receive. Thanks again everyone and take care.

Chellie