Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Guys,

I am due my op in less then 2 weeks and the time seems to be coming up fast!!!

I already regard the op date (14th March 2015) as my new birthday... the date my new life will start. Along with the main changes that come along with the surgery I am anxious to make this new start a healthy and happy one.

Does anyone have any tips to ensure I start my life in the best way possible, I don't want to fall into old/bad habits and so I'd love to hear from people who have managed to create a new and healthy structure to their new lives. one of my worries is healthy choices for my 6 meals a day, especially whilst at work or out and about where I don't have the same options available to me.

Don't be a stranger, please get in touch.

Many thanks

Dannii

Dannii.... Im a little confused.. did you have surgery already?

The best tips I have:

Take it easy on yourself, set realistic expectations and goals. You didn't gain the weight over night so don't expect to lose it over night. Stay off the scales and only weigh when you go in for a checkup with your doctor. If you get into the habit of weighing at home you will see all the little ups and downs and "stalls" which could derail you BUT if you wait for your monthly check-ups you won't see all of that all you'll see is your hard work and efforts paying off.

Plan, plan, plan. Never let yourself be in a situation where you're not prepared, I know easier said then done but this really is a very important key to success.

Take the first several months to learn and listen to your band not your head. This won't come over night, heck it's been 2 years almost for me and I still have moments where I listen to my head and not my band and this is when we find ourselves veering.

Follow the plan your Dr. gives you to the T. If you have any questions or concerns don't wait call them that's what they're there for, this is why you pay them!!

Protein, Protein. Protein, All Dr.'s are different so stick to the plan yours gives you but my doctor told me when I was ready for the solid stage my plate should always contain 3-4oz of protein, 1/2 cup veggies, and 1 starch (if I still had room, which I hardly ever do). Eat In that order, Protein first, then veggies, then starch. I was told my protein goal for each day should be between 60-80g.

Finish your meal within 20 min and stop when you filled satisfied, not full, satisfied.

Never drink with your meals. Allow yourself 30min-1 hour (again depending on your dr's orders) before resuming drinking liquids after eating.

Always get your Water in, 80 oz per day.

Look for those soft stop signals. Again this is something that will come in time and you have to watch carefully some times not to miss them. They're different for everyone. Mine is a burp, for some its a sneeze, others a runny nose etc. Basically it's a sign that you'll get nearly every time your band says you've had enough.

The most important thing, STAY POSITIVE! Believe in yourself, never give up!! You can do this! Remember this is NOT A DIET this is a new lifestyle, it's not about bad or good,(unless it's something your band can't tolerate or if it's a trigger food for you) it's about balance and finding something that you can stick with for a life time of success. Best wishes for your upcoming surgery! Please keep us posted on how you're doing!

Hi Guys,

I am due my op in less then 2 weeks and the time seems to be coming up fast!!!

I already regard the op date (14th March 2015) as my new birthday... the date my new life will start. Along with the main changes that come along with the surgery I am anxious to make this new start a healthy and happy one.

Does anyone have any tips to ensure I start my life in the best way possible, I don't want to fall into old/bad habits and so I'd love to hear from people who have managed to create a new and healthy structure to their new lives. one of my worries is healthy choices for my 6 meals a day, especially whilst at work or out and about where I don't have the same options available to me.

Don't be a stranger, please get in touch.

Many thanks

Dannii

Edited by enjoythetime

Thanks!!!! That is such a good response, I've had little or no responses to some of my posts so I was losing hope ;0)

I shall heed that advise wisely, but it's the be prepared but that worries me.

Can I ask what you take with you to eat if you're out and about, or for work for example?

Thanks again

X

First thing is to get the band properly adjusted...this can take months and in the meantime you are going to be facing many challenges.

I have been banded for over 4 years...because of the band I eat a fraction of what I used to...since I eat so little, I make the most of what I do eat. I'm not going to waste my meal with something like ice cream.

o since I am looking for the best to eat, I have become a very picky eater, and what some people call a "Health Nut", looking for whole foods, non processed, Protein rich....I have also given up things such as Red meat, Pasta, rice, breads and just about everything made from flour/dough...plus there are other things, all because of the band, not my decision.

Sprinkle all that with staying active and exercising, and you wind up with a lifestyle that will get many compliments.

all good advice. Being banded has given me the ability to eat healthy foods without feeling deprived. All previous dieting attempts failed because I felt deprived and hungry all the time. I would struggle through and lose weight but immediately put it back on then more because I was starving and went back to eating badly. I now have the tool to control my appetite monster. There are many things you must do to be successful but after awhile it becomes second nature. Even my family knows the rules, no drink with dinner, no bread, etc. They all know when we go out to dinner, I eat a little and box up the rest. As B52 says it's about getting adjusted properly and it may take some time but stay on the plan, Protein, Protein, protein, and drink lots of Water. It has been the best thing I have ever done for myself and my health has improved dramatically.

Thanks so much for your advice everyone, it's fabulous to hear the success stories and tips for how I can follow in your footsteps!!

1 week to go and I cannot wait!!! Xx

All of the above advice is excellent, the only thing I would add is to keep a few healthy Snacks with you at all times. This kept me from eating something I shouldnt be eating even if it was only a few bites. I was not a perfect eater, and still aren't , but having healthy snacks when out Im out is always a good option. Depending on what stage you're at, yogurt, a Protein Drink, cottage cheese, nuts, raw veggies, fruit slices are some favorites. Good luck !!