Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery on Feb 26th, I am hungry. It is not in my head, it is truly a feeling. It seems that I am not satisfied even after drinking the Protein Shakes that are suppose to fill you up. When is something going to kick in and I not feel the emptiness. This is not what I thought it would be. Another friend had the same surgery and she said, she wasn't hungry and could not eat. Well that isn't the case for me. What do I do now? Did I waste money. Whether it is insurance paying for this, I'm second guesting my decision. I never felt like this prior to the surgery.

Is there anyone out there that feels my pain.

You are only a week or so out of surgery, there's a lot still going on as you heal from surgery. Have you talked to your surgical team? Nutritionist? What were you expecting? How do you know this isn't head hunger? This is a lifetime decision, and if you did your research you would know it isn't a magic pill, it's still going to take changes and perseverence on your part. You can regret it all you want to, but at this point, there's no turning back. You're surgeon has done their job, now its up to you.

I had my surgery on Feb 26th, I am hungry. It is not in my head, it is truly a feeling. It seems that I am not satisfied even after drinking the Protein shakes that are suppose to fill you up. When is something going to kick in and I not feel the emptiness. This is not what I thought it would be. Another friend had the same surgery and she said, she wasn't hungry and could not eat. Well that isn't the case for me. What do I do now? Did I waste money. Whether it is insurance paying for this, I'm second guesting my decision. I never felt like this prior to the surgery.

Is there anyone out there that feels my pain.

i feel your pain! i too...was HUNGRY. no, not head hunger, not all in my mind...i was HUNGRY. and guess what? i still get HUNGRY. as a matter of fact...i have to eat about every 2 hours around the clock because i get real hunger and i don't like to be hungry.

for me, as my body becomes more adjusted to life post surgery and the new me is emerging, i realize that i go through two phases every day, REALLY fast, around the clock:

1. i get hungry VERY quickly

2. i get full VERY quickly

i do not have a "middle ground" where i am "on my way" to being hungry. i eat and i am very full, and then two hours later, i go from full to hungry.

i no longer have a signal telling me i am GETTING hungry. i just get hungry.

i have adjusted to it, and i am fine with it. at first, i was very worried, but my surgeon was honest with me throughout the entire process. he reminded me that EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.

EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.

and that is not a bad thing.

some of us still get hungry. some of us don't.

i do.

personally, i like being hungry. i haven't lost my love for good foods, i haven't lost my desire to eat. personally, i was worried that i would "forget" to eat. ha, that is not a problem for me! i now struggle with my full signal...but that's another thread entirely. LOL.

do i regret my surgery? not a bit. i am almost 46 pounds down in a bit less than 4 months. i have no regrets and no qualms.

our surgeries are only tools...we are ALL different. you did not waste your money...you just have to make it work for you.

Are you taking any heartburn medication? Im taking Pepcid as per my surgeon. If I forget to take it I definitely "fell hungry" but it's really just the stomach acid burning. I was told your stomach makes the same amount of acid as your regular sized stomach so you need a medication like Pepcid go control it.

Right after surgery I had the the gnawing feeling of hunger, so I thought, after talking to my surgeon it was a version of nausea, which the dissolvable pills I had post op would help with. So after those 10 pills were gone and I periodically would have the same sensation my surgeon got me another prescription. Sorry I don't have the name of it!

A couple of weeks later I have learned it comes from my Fluid intake, if I am not drinking enough on a regular basis (I know small sips all day long) then this hunger feeling comes. As of now I can only eat soft puréed foods, so eating a couple of times a day, and always sipping fluids has made the hunger pains stop.

Best of luck figuring out what your body is telling you. Everyone is slightly different. Hope this helps a little bit!