Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 month diet really just 5 months - good news

My caseworker called today. The conversation took more like 30 minutes instead of the 10 I was told. BUT, I was able to find out that they will use the very first weight that is turned in. It doesn't matter how much I lose on the 6 month* diet. Also, it really isn't a 6 month diet. It is 6 consecutive appointments, at least 30 days apart, to log weight and discuss eating and exercise. So Feb, mar, April, May, June, July... 6 appointments, even though the duration is only 5 months from the first to the last appointment. My insurance was very vague in the description and Martha said that question is asked by every single bariatric patient she talks to on this plan.

I am a week in. I have not had any soda. I am cutting back on my sweet tea. I am having a hard time taking small sips of Water all day long. I know that after surgery I will have to literally SIP all day long, and I am trying to start that habit now, and it is hard when normally I drink like a camel just a few times a day. I am also trying to eat MUCH slower, chew my food way more than I am used to, and make better food decisions (especially with carbs), but mostly I am focusing on starting these habits first, because I think they will be hardest to get used to.

What did you focus on first?

I have UHC too! And I was pleasantly surprised when I found out my first visit counted as one of the six months! I felt like I got two for the price of one! :-)

I started logging everything on MyFitnessPal.com - it has a really good database, and you can easily print off your food diary before your next weigh in. It gives you detailed information on calories, carbs, fat, Protein, sodium, & sugar (all the important things you need to watch)!

It also links up to my Fitbit - so that activity is logged into my activity diary too!

I gave up on sodas before Thanksgiving, and essentially gave up my sweet tea after I met with my surgeon. She kind of frowned upon me on that, and told me to cut back - so I just stopped! I drink nothing but Water now, and I'm down 11 lbs since January 13th.

I'm also a coffee drinker, and was told to ween off the caffeine, so I'm drinking a cup or two of Green Mountain half caff. I'll be pretty much caffeine free before I get my surgery date! I have three appointments done, and after this month - two more to go!

Good luck with your appointments!

Edited by mclorrie

I am not a coffee drinker. But tea... that will be rough. I stopped ordering drinks at restaurants last year because it was cheaper to just drink Water. And my husband started making unsweet tea (and I hate sweeteners that aren't sugar) so at home, Water is easy. I just have to keep myself from driving through the beverage barn and getting a tea in the mornings.

Ladies, what a great topic and I have been wondering this because the first weigh / in was listed on my documents as #1. Anything to speed this 6 months along :).

I have given up all sodas and I am down to one cup of coffee per day. I need to drop the tea as well.

I need to start working to not drink during meals. I think this is going to be really tough for me!

The drinking is really hard. I am finding it harder than the low carb

Well, I'm doing it! I'm giving up coffee! Had my last Keurig (half/caff) today. It will be hard because I love having my morning cup of coffee on Saturday mornings with my husband. But then again, I couldn't of timed this any better! At least I'll know by Sunday if I have any caffeine headaches!

@@mclorrie how is it going without the caffeine? Is the hubby hiding from you yet? JK

I am down to only one cup a day, but I also have tea. They both have to go and I am not looking forward to it!!

Well, I'm doing it! I'm giving up coffee! Had my last Keurig (half/caff) today. It will be hard because I love having my morning cup of coffee on Saturday mornings with my husband. But then again, I couldn't of timed this any better! At least I'll know by Sunday if I have any caffeine headaches!

@mykdsmom I've been "caffeine-free" since last Saturday! Today is my sixth day of having no caffeine! Let me tell ya - Saturday and Sunday was really hard! And my husband is so sweet! He's only had a cup each day so I wouldn't suffer so bad! LOL!!

No headaches! The half-caff worked! :)

My legs have been really achy though! I'm not sure if that has to do with caffeine withdraw or what! I've never had problems with my legs before. I don't have restless leg syndrome, and I'm hoping this is not a start! Ibuprofen is really helped! I'm hoping it's short-lived!!

The good thing is, I'm now getting more Water in! I've pretty much doubled my daily Water intake since I stopped drinking coffee!

Edited by mclorrie

@@mclorrie so glad it is going well. I may try the half calf approach as well. :)