Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Working out 6 days a week and Weightloss stalled

Hello- I had my sugary on January 5th and have lost 50 pounds since then. I started walking for more Han 30 min the first week out of surgery and have just started with a trainer three days a week. I started at 287 and I am 237 today. I know I sound like I am complaining and I know I could not have done it without the surgery but I still feel like I should be loosing more. Has anyone doing the workout, getting the Protein, getting the Water had this issue.thanks.

Great job so far! I definitely would not stress over not losing as much now. You are way above the curve so far.

I had surgery back in July and really didn't start working out until my 4 month mark. I lost a lot in 4 month (95 lbs.) Since joining a gym, working out 5 times a week, and seeing a trainer 2 times a week I do continue to lose but actually at a slower rate. It is normal especially if you are weight training. Muscle weighs more than fat. I judge by my clothing and I know that had drastically changed in the last 4 months. My other problem is not taking in enough calories a day. It's hard. I've upped my Protein to 125 grams a day on workout days and about 100 on off days. This has really helped with the muscle.

My best advice is to stay off the scale. Weigh once a month with your trainer and have him take measurements. You will be surprised at the measurements from month to month.

Best of luck!

Thank you! That was super helpful and exactly the thing I was looking for! I was thinking about eating more Protein. My trainer also suggested adding another mini meal. Can you share any suggestions on upping protein?

I eat a high Protein Breakfast - usually egg beaters, turkey sausage and a bit of cheese. Everyday I have a Protein shake as a morning snack made with unsweetened soy milk or almond milk. I've cut out all milk, even skim. I drink another Protein Shake as soon as I'm done working out. I make it before and drink it driving home from the gym. That usually accounts for about 50 grams of Protein total. The rest from lean meats, cheese, etc.

One thing I am really strict about is carbs. I've cut most of them from my diet and it's worked great from me so far. My calorie intake is about 800-900 a day even on days I workout. I need to increase but it's hard with how much I can eat. Every meal I get about 3 oz. of some kind of protein. (chicken, beef, turkey, egg beaters, turkey sausage, pork, etc. ) I don't eat a lot of fruit at this point. I also focus on green veggies - green Beans, edamame, etc. I also drink a lot of Water.

I also use MFP to track everything.

Since working out so much my goals have changed. Now my goal is to beat my weight lifting records!

Don't stress - you are doing great!!!

Wow, New2loseOR, I think you are doing great! You have certainly lost more than I have. I had my surgery December 15th, but have only lost 30 pounds so far. I walk 2 miles a day 5 days a week and do weights. My bariatrician told me to exercise more, 90 minutes a day 5 days a week. But between working 5 days a week and taking care of my grandchildren after work 3 days a week, it is hard to find the time and energy to do more. I have followed his instructions and advice, but have not lost anything in the last 3 weeks. :( All I hear from him now is that I must not be doing what he says to do. It gets quite disappointing. Keep trying and I am sure you will do wonderfully! :)

@@New2loseOR, we are in similar places. I am a few pounds larger: 305 at start of preop diet on 12/23, 292 for surgery on 1/6, 253 this morning. But my surgery was just a day after yours, I have also been working out 6 days a week since just a week after surgery, and I never have trouble getting all of my Protein and all of my Water.

I hit a bad stall in the middle, but the scale is moving again and I am fairly happy with the 52 pounds I've lost. Of course I'd love for it to be more, but it's still better than I ever dreamed of doing even a year ago and I keep reminding myself to be patient.

Edited by anaxila

I have a question. Do you ever feel like you could of done it without the surgery especially since you are working out so much and eating less and well. Also do you ever feel like you are an athletic reject at the gym. I almost passed out today while working out.

@@New2loseOR

Don't over do it! Listen to your body and give it time to recover.

I feel really good about going to the gym and am not at all intimidated by being there. I rock the treadmill now and love weight training.

To answer your other question. I am glad I had the surgery. It made me drastically change my eating habits and for me, with my surgery, it has curbed a lot of my cravings. I'm happy with 3 oz of Protein at each meal. This is an amount that would never of satisfied me prior to surgery. So, no I don't think I could achieve the same results long term without having the surgery.

I don't believe for one second that I could have done this without surgery. I need the triple whammy of restriction, malabsorption, and hormonal changes. Without surgery I could never be satisfied with 1/4 cup of food. And although I've never had a dumping episode or vomited, the threat of both is enough to guarantee my obedience.

I overdid it at the gym a couple of times right after my surgery. It's hard sometimes to know your limits, but you'll eventually learn them one way or another. ;)

Just wanted to check in with this thread to see how you ladies are doing. I have continued working out 6 days a week three of those with a trainer. A year a go i could barely walk and was at my heaviest at 300 pounds. Today I am leading a fitness competition at my gym and am 210 and a size 12!!! This has been an incredible journey and i wouldn't take back this decision at all. I have completely changed how i see food. I see it as fuel to put in my body and the better the food the better i feel. I drink a gallon of Water daily and work out three hours a day 6 days a week. For the first time in my life i feel healthy and happy. Hope you all are doing well.