Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this head hunger or actual hunger?

Hi there, all!! I had my VSG surgery last week on 2/24 and I have done pretty great. I had some issues with acid early on, but with prilosec and mylanta, it has gotten better. More than anything, I am definitely grieving food. Every single thing I see someone else eating looks fantastic and I feel as though I could walk over to them and snap it right off of their plate! I do sometimes feel like my stomach is empty, although after only a few teaspoons of Water, I feel "full." That's the other thing, I'm not quite sure what full feels like now. I never feel full or stuffed like I did before the procedure, I just sort of get an uncomfortable sensation in my stomach that makes it feel like I can't drink anymore.

Anyone else a week out know what I am talking about? It kind of scares me that I am so "hungry." Like I might go absolutely insane on a cheeseburger once I'm allowed to eat solids in about 7 weeks. I do get to go to purees in a week, and am so excited to get some texture. Trying not to regret my decision but I usually do at meal times when watching my friends and family eat, even though I am down 10 lbs in a week.

Thanks for any and all input!

My stats:

232 lbs- highest weight

222- the day of surgery

212- one week post-op

It's normal, once your able to eat solids you'll be able to better gauge real hunger from head hunger I'm in the learning stage of this myself. Good luck!

Thanks Chubbsey1! How far out are you from surgery?

In my experience, after sleeve surgery, hunger is really thirst in disguise, so if you're getting hungry, drink more fluids. This process requires a complete lifestyle change, and that's what you signed up for when you went under the knife. Grieving your old foods is perfectly natural, but realize that they are what got you to the place where you needed surgery. They are not your friends! Your new friends will be Protein, fluids, and exercise. And in a few months, when you are able to fit into great-looking clothes, you'll understand the magic of this program. But you have to do your part. So decide to stay away from carbs, sweets, and booze. Your sleeve will help you do this. And come on here whenever you're feeling the need for support. We're here for you! Good luck!!!!!

I agree with @Rogofulm . The first few weeks ice pops were definitely my friend! Gives you the liquids you need & also lets you feel like you're eating something. Thankfully I wasn't overly hungry the first few weeks. Good luck on your journey!

Also, during the liquid phase, I found warm chicken broth and cream Soups with the chunks strained out to be soothing.

Thanks Chubbsey1! How far out are you from surgery?

3 weeks I was sleeved Feb. 17th

I'm so glad you posted this. I remember vividly thinking that head hunger was ridiculous and that I was in fact starving. People on this forum told me that I wasn't really hungry and I figured they were crazy and how would they know if I were hungry or not. Once again the joke was on me. It was most definitely head hunger. The fact is that I haven't felt hunger in 2 years now. Even when I start thinking its time for me to eat it isn't due to hunger. Its still my head telling me to eat. I would probably jump out of my skin if my stomach were to growl in hunger at this point. The mind is a powerful thing. You are doing great by suspecting that your hunger isn't really what it seems. Hang in there! You'll make it through this just fine.

Sounds like head hunger. If you feel like it's physical, have a Tums or 2. If that helps, you may need a change in your PPI. Acid can mimic hunger. As far as gong "absolutely insane on a cheeseburger", I still have those moments, and I'm allowed that now, but I know if I go insane on it that I will mighty regret it! So, I've learned to love sliders. One slider as a treat once in a while and I'm done. If I can't get the tiny burger, I have learned to love leftovers, (something to look forward to again) or just "leave it". It's cool to be in control!

Yes I most certainly do know what you mean!! I was sleeved same day as you but I was able to move to purees 4 days ago. It has helped IMENSELY as far as the hunger. I am eating something about every 2 to 2 1/2 hours though, because after that amount of time I am often very hungry. A few tablespoons of apple sauce or yogurt, cottage cheese, 2 ounces of pureed Soup, a few tablespoons of ricotta bake, pureed chicken, potato & Beans, and hummus. Those are the things I have tried so far, hang on it is going to get much better very quickly!! I really was shocked that I have felt so hungry. I can tell the difference between when I am just thinking about food and might have room for a bite or two and when I am HUNGRY!!

I was sleeved 2/25 and have been feeling the same way. Like has been said, broth, Water, pops and Jello seem to help. I'm getting tired of the shakes. My nut says two weeks liquid, so I'm sticking to that. When I started my pre-op diet I was 251. Today I weighed 232. It is getting better as the hunger is not overwhelming as it was earlier on

Yes I most certainly do know what you mean!! I was sleeved same day as you but I was able to move to purees 4 days ago. It has helped IMENSELY as far as the hunger. I am eating something about every 2 to 2 1/2 hours though, because after that amount of time I am often very hungry. A few tablespoons of apple sauce or yogurt, cottage cheese, 2 ounces of pureed Soup, a few tablespoons of ricotta bake, pureed chicken, potato & Beans, and hummus. Those are the things I have tried so far, hang on it is going to get much better very quickly!! I really was shocked that I have felt so hungry. I can tell the difference between when I am just thinking about food and might have room for a bite or two and when I am HUNGRY!!

Thanks so much for your response! It is just so nice to hear from someone who had surgery the same day as me! I have to admit, I'm totally jealous you are already on purees. I still have a week to go. I'm hanging in there though... Keep in touch and good luck!!!!

I was craving everything under the son! food commercials were killing me! Once I was able to start eating soft foods, that craving started to go away

I was craving everything under the son! food commercials were killing me! Once I was able to start eating soft foods, that craving started to go away

Funny you should say that about the food commercials, my bariatric "bible" suggests not sitting and watching lots of TV during recovery due to the many food commercials.

Hi there, all!! I had my VSG surgery last week on 2/24 and I have done pretty great. I had some issues with acid early on, but with prilosec and mylanta, it has gotten better. More than anything, I am definitely grieving food. Every single thing I see someone else eating looks fantastic and I feel as though I could walk over to them and snap it right off of their plate! I do sometimes feel like my stomach is empty, although after only a few teaspoons of Water, I feel "full." That's the other thing, I'm not quite sure what full feels like now. I never feel full or stuffed like I did before the procedure, I just sort of get an uncomfortable sensation in my stomach that makes it feel like I can't drink anymore.

Anyone else a week out know what I am talking about? It kind of scares me that I am so "hungry." Like I might go absolutely insane on a cheeseburger once I'm allowed to eat solids in about 7 weeks. I do get to go to purees in a week, and am so excited to get some texture. Trying not to regret my decision but I usually do at meal times when watching my friends and family eat, even though I am down 10 lbs in a week.

Thanks for any and all input!

My stats:

232 lbs- highest weight

222- the day of surgery

212- one week post-op

I had surgery the same day as you as well. I was on puréed food before I left the hospital. I still haven't felt full and stop out of fear of vomiting. I think once im eating real food I'll be able to feel it. I am not hungry. In fact I have to force myself to eat because I'm just not interested. Don't get me wrong everything looks good to me and I want to eat all my favorites but I have no desire if that makes any sense.