Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New idea for protein...and it tastes GOOD!

I am disgusted with Protein Shakes and the cardboard stuff they call Protein Bars. So I made a new (for me it's new, anyway) drink that I think actually tastes good, has less calories than the shakes and bars do (at least the brands I've used), and is fairly inexpensive!

Here's the scoop (PUN intended!): I use an unflavored Protein powder (whey powder) that has 25 grams of protein per scoop (30 gram scoop), a large glass of very cold Water, and a few drops of liquid Water Enhancer (which has up to 10 calories per serving, depending on the brand you use). Stir really well (you may have to keep stirring throughout the drinking part, to keep it mixed), or use a blender... to mix it - I don't like using the faster blending methods - too foamy for me. It will be cloudy from the powder, but the taste is, in my opinion, millions of times better than the shakes and bars. And it is not too thick and gross.

The brands of liquid water enhancers I use are Nestea (tried iced tea with lemon and peach iced tea flavors), Sunkist (tried Orange Citrus), Minute Maid (tried fruit Punch and Mango) and Lipton Tea and Honey (tried black Cherry Dragonfruit and lemon flavors). They mix fairly well, and the large variety of flavors available is fantastic, I don't get tired of them! The calories from the whey powder is 125. I get my Protein Powder from Amazon.com. Since I am now on this for life, I have found that if I buy it in larger quantities it is less expensive. I try to drink 2 of these dinks per day, and supplement with other sources of protein to get in my daily quota. I am anticipating summer and making slushy-type drinks, or smoothies with this blend. I might even try making an ice treat with it! Have fun and enjoy!

Thank you so much . I love your ideas and am eager to try them. What brand of Protein do you use?

Thanks, Paula

@@PaulaleeB

I think (and don't quote me, as I don't have it in front of me) it is TG's. It is in a kind of orangy-gold bag, I believe it is 2 pounds in weight. But any brand of Protein powder made to blend in beverages should work for this, as long as it is unflavored. It also doesn't have any other added ingredients, it's just plain whey Protein from milk. Check the amount of grams per serving (usually they have a scoop inside), and try to get the ones that have the most protein you can get. Have a good evening!

BTW, I found the Water enhancers in the grocery store near the powdered drink mixes. They ran about 3-4 dollars per each container, but makes lots of servings per each container. You can vary the strength of the flavor, but be ware the calories will go up if you use more!

Thanks so much.

I add the unflavored Protein Powder to crystal light.

Researching Isopure Ready to Drink. Not cheap but great Protein and good to keep on hand. My date is Mar 30 and have been researching, interviewing and testing since June. I'm so passed ready!

@@purrfctangel

Also look at GENEPRO, it has 30 grams per VERY small scoop (a little bigger than a tablespoon, I think), and is unflavored. There seems to be little info out there on it, but if it indeed is what they say it is, we may have found gold! I have been using it a while now, and I intend to ask my dietician on the 16th what her opinion is of it. Found it on Amazon.com. It mixes really well, compared to the other whey powders I've used. But I still use the other powder just in case the GENEPRO isn't what it claims to be and do. Have a good evening....

the clear Isopures are awesome. It's like drinking a crystal light type drink instead of Protein shake

@@bruni

Thanks, I haven't tried those yet. They may be a good source for travelling! I have yet to find a good bottle that won't leak! Have a good evening!

I know it's a lot cheaper to do powder. But i really like the chocolate flavor Premere shakes from costco. Easy to grab it you need to take with you.

I know it's a lot cheaper to do powder. But i really like the chocolate flavor Premere shakes from costco. Easy to grab it you need to take with you.

I, too, keep a few pre-mixed ones on hand to grab if I don't have time for Breakfast before heading to work. So handy.

@@Donna Fay

Yeah, I do that, too, but after a few months of them I am now so sick of the creamy shakes. They have their place, with the 30 grams of Protein (difficult to beat that), but they are getting hard to tolerate and I get so nauseated by them - any flavor. The Premier Protein Bars to me smell like mildew (now my husband disagrees with me about that, he doesn't think they smell bad at all, so I'm wondering if my smeller is defective!) and the granular texture and incredible density is very unappealing. I guess I must be getting too fussy. Time to get creative about protein! Have a good evening!

I need to do this... Those drinks are SO expensive and they are gross!