Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going to Mexico April 1!

Me and my fiance are heading to Mexico on March 31 for my surgery on April 1 with Dr. Ariel Ortiz! I'm excited but so so nervous as we are leaving 3 kids with my parents :( any tips on when to book our trip? We have been looking but haven't flown in years! Did everyone have to stay in the hotel 2 additional nights? Did everyone have a jp drain? Thanks!

No one in our 5 girl group with dr aerial o had drains...you stay in hospital one night, then the day after you do a swallow test. After the swallow test they are done with you. I left a day early, I wanted to get out of Mexico sooo bad. Hotel is kind of ghetto, good luck and bring money for tips (they all expect it)

I stayed the night before in the hotel, the night of surgery was at OCC, then one more night in the hotel post-op. I then had to stay a night in San Diego, because I couldn't get a flight back to my hotel that left after 11:00am and the OCC shuttle won't get you to the airport early enough for a pre-11am flight.

@ Did you stay at the Marriott? I didn't consider it "kind of ghetto". My room was very nice, large, and clean and the service was great!

My room was really ghetto and the tv didn't work halfthe time, and we only had 3 English channels. It wasn't as hyped to be, but not bad considering its in a sketchy area. Be careful, don't go bar hopping at night. I overheard from another group that one member of their party had gone bar hopping and they didn't come back the next morning. It's a get in, get surgery, then get the hell out. Type of place

I didn't go anywhere at night, but I did walk around the area of the hotel during the day time the day after my surgery. It didn't seem sketchy to me. There's a Walmart and an Applebees in a plaza just up the hill from the hotel. Seemed pretty normal.

The lack of english TV channels was a little annoying, but I knew about that in advance from reading other peoples' experiences, so I had downloaded a bunch of shows from my DVR to my laptop before traveling and just hooked my laptop up to the TV with an HDMI cable and watched all the shows I'd saved on my hard drive. Ironically, I watched about 15 episodes of Chopped (a cooking show) while only being able to eat about two teaspoons of broth and Jello. :P

Edited by JamieLogical