Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know it's the fear of the unknown.... Between this and the drain (post below) my anxiety is raising! What does it feel like to be put under? Just a nap?

I was scared stiff too the first time but rest assured it is a wonderful feeling. You won't know when it happens.

@@Riz2006 I honestly didn't even realize I had been given the meds. One min I was looking at people setting out equipment and the next thing I saw was the recovery Nurse. It's the weirdest thing. If I didn't have incisions and a drain I wouldn't have believed they did anything.

I agree. One second you will be breathing in some oxygen and looking around and the next second you will be waking up in the recovery room. You won't notice time passing at all, nor will you feel any of the procedure. It is a super strange thing but awesome!

You are going to do great. It is totally normal to feel anxious before surgery. Your team of doctors and nurses and assistants will all be there to help you through it and put you at ease. Mine all came in individually and introduced themselves before surgery and that was a huge help for me.

I've been put under a lot (14 times). So much so I kind of feel like an expert :). They are going to give you a "cocktail" in your IV. It is to calm you and for some has a slight amnesia effect. I do remember this last time, asking every surgeon, nurse, and anesthesiologist what book they read last and I surprisingly remember some of the answers. The cocktail hit my system a bit more after that and my memory gets fuzzy. I do remember scooting over to the surgery table, probably because it is chilly in the surgery room. Then I was out like a light...not a gradual falling asleep. No counting backwards or anything like that. Just out. Then I woke up in the recovery room.

An exhausted nap is a very good analagy. I did not feel a thing after moving onto the surgical gurney. Woke up about an hour later when they were done. I did not have any drains.

I have been under oh about a dozen x's an I have never had a bad experiance. its in fact to me the best sleep ever an I do not remember anything once Im awake. enjoy it! you are waking up in recovery seems like just minutes! I have always had a great team of nurses an techs an for this specific surgery they are pros an know what to do! from preop to my discharge I couldnt have had any better experiance!

I remember telling the guy I wasn't sleepy at all. Then I woke up in recovery.

Everyone is a little different. I remember being wheeled into the OR, the nurses present asked me a couple of questions, and then the next thing I knew I was waking up in PACU. For me it was like turning off a light switch. I didn't get sleepy and drift off. One moment I was awake and in the OR, the next moment I was in recovery.

From my experience with this surgery and with previous surgeries, the hard part is the waking up - you mind will be desperate to wake up long before your body will cooperate. you'll be groggy and you'll be hurting, but it will all pass.

I'd never been put under before and was very very scared. But the theatre staff were lovely, making jokes etc. they but a mask on my face, told me to breathe deeply.... Then I woke up in recovery. Very strange. I knew nothing about what went on.

The good thing about it is its not like at the dentist where you are sitting there WAITING for them to work on your mouth. My anesthesiologist said I'm about to feel like I drank 2 martinis. All of a sudden I started to giggle and said " oh yeah I feel it" and the next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery. It felt like just a few minutes had passed, not hours

I have to say that whatever the sedative is they gave me before wheeling me into the OR was phenomenal. Lol was like soaking in luxury hot tub...stress less.

Best relaxed feeling. It's a really great drifting feeling, and the Next thing you know, they are waking you up.

It's like blinking. You have no awareness of being under. Don't worry at all!