Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I bought the book about Gastric Bypass that is all over this website. It was a no nonsense type of book and immediately after reading the whole book, I wouldn't to jump out and say, "Nope, not doing it". I had experienced this "back out syndrome" before and knew it was my fear building up inside.

I decided to look at all the negatives I was facing in life to rid myself of those thoughts. The constant GERD and reflux, the sleep apnea and breathing machine every night, the ache of my back from a heavy middle and the ache of my knees and feet. I keep these all in my mind knowing that every time I think of all these negatives, I will be brought back to the real reality of what morbid obesity is.. I even despise that word, it seems to carry such a negative presentation with it.

Anyhow, I just want to know is it inevitable that I will lose my hair? Will I lose all or some...will it grow back or no. Could this be a product of not taking Vitamins and supplements? I asked my Nut and she said "you can certainly try a liquid Biotin to try and take which could provide you with healthy hair and nails". Somehow, the thought of being nauseous, sore and in pain along with being bald, petrifies me. I know somewhere in my heart all of this will be worth it's weight in gold but right now, I'm just seeing the forest and trees with no "sunlight" shining through.

How do you get yourself over this hump to realize that better days and better thoughts will be right around the corner after surgery.

Thanks for listening!

Although everyone is different, you probably will lose a fair amount of hair. No not all. You don't go bald; it just thins out (EXTRA WT LOSS!!). Yes, it grows back. Buying supplements not worth $. You won't necessarily be nauseated, and aren't you in pain now by being overweight?? Compare that long term pain(s) to a short post op recovery pain. Good luck!

Hi, I went through the program back in 2011 and ended up leaving it due to my fathers ill health but during that time I was constantly thinking about the negatives. I wasn't ready. Roll on 2015... I'm an insulin dependent diabetic, have sleep apnea so bad that I fell asleep on the toilet, stood and fell into the sink and shattered my nose, recently started with glaucoma and am so uncomfortable in my own skin. I'm 47. I am back in the program and am totally ready to get back to my healthy self so I can spend quality time with my daughters.

Not everyone loses their hair. I had very little Hair loss. I did start Biotin before my surgery and made sure I got all my Protein in after surgery. Throughout the whole process I continued to have my hair colored and got highlights every six weeks. I am convinced the hair loss is just random. Many get pixie cuts. I got one once I had lost over 100 pounds and I love the look and the ease of the cut. Just try to keep your hair as healthy as you can and you will be fine. If it does happen, it will grow back.

Thank you everyone for the positive reinforcement; Sometimes I just get lost in all the "bad" and forget how much of a new outlook and gift I will be getting;

I swear these message boards give so much help and support especially at a time and place in life when the world is clueless as to what some of us are going thru!!

:rolleyes:

I started taking Biotin before the surgery and still take it and I'm a year out. My hair slightly thinned out but nobody even noticed it, not even my hair stylist who I also saw on a regular basis for cut and foils. Some people do lose a noticeable amount, others don't. I haven't heard of anyone losing all their hair. Best of luck. Try to keep up with all your protein--that will totally help!

I started taking Biotin before the surgery and still take it and I'm a year out. My hair slightly thinned out but nobody even noticed it, not even my hair stylist who I also saw on a regular basis for cut and foils. Some people do lose a noticeable amount, others don't. I haven't heard of anyone losing all their hair. Best of luck. Try to keep up with all your protein--that will totally help!

Do you take liquid biotin or crush pills? I had RNY on 2/23 and want to go back to my Biotin - I already have fairly thin hair and am noticing more strands falling than usual, just wondering how you're taking it. Thanks!

I found some that are chewable. I think I got them at the grocery store. Nature's something or other. Or maybe at CVS? They probably both sell them. But it is definitely chewable. I try to still do as many chewables as I can.

I've also switched to a different Shampoo. It doesn't help with hair loss but it does make my hair feel a bit thicker and better but it's kind of expensive. It's called Texas Tea and I got it from Sephora. But, again, it doesn't stop Hair loss or anything like that. I just also have naturally thin hair and this makes my hair feel thicker.

If you are near Dedham, the Sephora at Legacy Place will be starting to sell it in their stores this month some time.

S

I found some that are chewable. I think I got them at the grocery store. Nature's something or other. Or maybe at CVS? They probably both sell them. But it is definitely chewable. I try to still do as many chewables as I can.

I've also switched to a different Shampoo. It doesn't help with hair loss but it does make my hair feel a bit thicker and better but it's kind of expensive. It's called Texas Tea and I got it from Sephora. But, again, it doesn't stop Hair loss or anything like that. I just also have naturally thin hair and this makes my hair feel thicker.

If you are near Dedham, the Sephora at Legacy Place will be starting to sell it in their stores this month some time.

S

That is awesome - thank you so much! Are you in MA? You're the first I've met on here who is local, so I'm excited! I am in Melrose. I also have naturally thin hair so it's great to get your tips and tricks. Does the shampoo really thicken? Would love to try it out.

How far out are you?

I am one of those folks that has lost a lot of hair and I am post op 5 months. I started losing almost right away and found that my thyroid was functioning better because of weight loss which was causing Hair loss, also I happen to be going through menopause. I have had surgeries many times in my life and the stress from surgery causes me to lose hair. And then of course rapid weight loss can cause it. It's like a quadruple whammy for me.

Now, The good news. First, there are no bald spots, it simply thins. It does grow back, I have sprouts everywhere!

I have been told that it should stop soon (6 month mark), I am hoping that is true. My husband is always cleaning up my hair and it makes him more nervous than me.

It is not as bad as people think in fact no one notices with the exception of my hubby who sees it on the floor, pillow etc.

I bought fast-dissolve Biotin from GNC and it's by far the tastiest and easiest medication that I take. I'm pretty sure it's this one. http://m.gnc.com/Healthy-Natural-Systems-TriSorb-Biotin-Delicious-Cherry-Flavor/product.jsp?productId=18437916

Edited by anaxila

I bought fast-dissolve Biotin from GNC and it's by far the tastiest and easiest medication that I take. I'm pretty sure it's this one. http://m.gnc.com/Healthy-Natural-Systems-TriSorb-Biotin-Delicious-Cherry-Flavor/product.jsp?productId=18437916

Is this pretty effective for you?

I am one of those folks that has lost a lot of hair and I am post op 5 months. I started losing almost right away and found that my thyroid was functioning better because of weight loss which was causing Hair loss, also I happen to be going through menopause. I have had surgeries many times in my life and the stress from surgery causes me to lose hair. And then of course rapid weight loss can cause it. It's like a quadruple whammy for me.

Now, The good news. First, there are no bald spots, it simply thins. It does grow back, I have sprouts everywhere!

I have been told that it should stop soon (6 month mark), I am hoping that is true. My husband is always cleaning up my hair and it makes him more nervous than me.

It is not as bad as people think in fact no one notices with the exception of my hubby who sees it on the floor, pillow etc.

I've also lost hair with each surgery - though mainly following c-sections based on hormonal changes following pregnancy. I think most of the hair loss with this is the same - there are definite hormonal changes following RNY.

Glad to hear it doesn't last forever! I figure I'll get one of those cute shoulder length hair cuts as a way to look fresh and save some strands. ????

I am someone who is vain about her long hair and was worried about this. I actually started losing lots of hair even before the surgery, I had lost 50 pounds preop and then the anesthesia from the preop testing, one month before surgery I was already losing handfuls in the shower.

I started Biotin preop also. This only helps with new growth, it does not stop the hair from falling out that was there before surgery.

I also read about hair cycles and depending on where you are in your growth cycle plays into the amount lost.

So it got to the point where I dreaded showering or combing my long hair So got it cut off a few weeks back, about 4 months post op. Short pixie cut, don't notice the hair falling out near as much, I feel much better.

:rolleyes:

@@msmisaacs I am in Hyde Park, right near Dedham.

I don't think the Shampoo really makes your hair thicker, it just FEELS like it! It's awesome. I would try the Biotin for sure though. I don't think there is any downside to taking that.

Where did you have your surgery? I had mine at St. Elizabeth's in Brighton. We have a support group at the hospital twice a month as well if you are ever looking for a group. I don't know if it's just for people who had the surgery there but I could find out if you were interested. Though you have to be prepared for the group--it's mostly about food addiction and not everyone is ready to hear those words.