Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can not do my surgery because my sugar is too high :(

My gastric sleeve was do to happen on March 3, 2015, but a week before i had so blood test done and my A1C was a 9. The doctor refuses to operate with that number she said if the number goes below an 8 she will then schedule me again. I am so upset i have been trying for the last week on a low carb diet but i still cant get a good sugar numbers even thou i cut out Pasta, rice, bread , potatos , fried foods.All i have been having is chicken and beef with vegtables for the last week and it will not lower. I am fustrated, has any one has had this kind of problem ?

My surgery was put on hold for 3 months to get my sugars down. Speak to your doctors. I am a type 2 diabetic. I got my blood sugars down from 9 to 6.9 in 3 months. I had to go on Lantus and Novorapid insulin to do it. It meant 6 shots a day, but I got it down quickly. My surgeon requires your a1c to be below 7.5 prior to surgery. Good luck.

remember many vegetables have high natural sugar content as well especially many Beans, corn, beets, carrots tomatoes, etc try sticking to green Beans, cauliflower, asparagus, and some greens, that may help.

That sucks! My husband had sleeve surgery with an A1C of 10.8. Actually, his blood sugar was the main reason he had surgery in the first place! Three months prior to surgery, it was at 12.2, so that 10.8 was actually an improvement for him. By three months after surgery, it had fallen to 6.7. I can't wait to see what it is the next time they take it.

It'll take more than a week for you to see much improvement in your a1c. Are you keeping a log of your blood sugars? Eating good is only part of the battle. I've had diabetes since I was 9. (Type 1)

Im throwing this out there..what do you drink during the day? for me an my hubs he has more of the insulin issue but we threw out the artificial sweetners (I do NOT want to start anything this is just what WE did to help his A1C)...the sweetners were keeping his insulin high...we had to start using stevia instead. are you drinking sodas? diet or regular? do you drink Fruit Drinks or juices? any of these can contribute. I hate to even bring this up but when he changed these in his diet an started exercising walking or riding a stationary bike it reduced fast. I hope this helps. I know for some its really naturally easy to stay high an for others diet change an some exercise helps..hang in there it'll happen. read labels! we read ALL labels an I bought him a bread that does not have high fructose corn Syrup an its only like less then 6 carbs per slice. it really helps. I also make him smoothie Protein Drink I add chia seeds, wheat germ, plain Orgain yogurt just 1 serving, I buy unsweetened almond milk no more cows milk here too much sugar, just changes in some areas to help keep the "glucose" lower . Im just sharing what has worked for him but we do drink ALOT of spring Water an unsweetened tea an add stevia...hope these suggestions will help dear..keep us posted..:)

Generally an A1C is like a monthly average. A one week change to diet may not be picked up by an A1C, it is more long term.

I know that my A1C will not show any change in a week , will take at least 3 months, am frustrated that i have not seen a change in my glucose test which i do at least 4 times a day, I do not even have fruits because they are high in sugar, i do not have sugar i use truvia and only once a day, i only eat green vegetables and meat, i use Protein shakes at least 1 aday , i walk an hour every day, i take metformin, Januvia and lantus at night, but my levels still on the 200's. i spoke with the doctor and told me iam doing fine . I guess am fustrated cause i want to see results fast, lol thank you guys so much for your input , i feel better knowing am not alone here :)

Blood sugar in the 200's is not "good". Is this your regular doctor, or is this an endocrinologist? If you are not seeing an endo, ask your regular doctor for a referral to one.

My a1c was something like 11. Blood sugars the day of surgery were low 300's. Ya, I know, really bad. I actually got a very stern lecture from the anesthesiologist that morning. Anyway, had the surgery and had follow up blood work done about 2.5 months later. A1C was 5.1 and sugars were optimal. The original blood work was a huge factor in my decision to have the surgery. Anyway, sounds like all docs are different regarding their protocol. Best of luck to you.

Remember - your surgeon isn't just "punishing you" for your sugars being high, even though it may feel that way at times. There have been multiple studies done, but high blood sugars put you at higher risk for infection and you will definitely heal a lot slower. A1C is a look at the past 3 months. I agree with what someone else said - if you've made all those changes and your sugars are still in the 200 range, you need to see an endocrinologist.

Huh?...My A1C was a 10 and i had surgery...Guess every doc is different...Sorry to hear!

I am so sorry to hear that. I can only imagine how frustrating and upsetting this is! As a Type 2 diabetic, it sounds like you are doing all the things you are supposed to be doing. How long have you been taking those meds? Also, when are you taking your blood sugar? Should be before you eat and 2 hours from the time you start eating to get your after meal number. My diabetes educator said the difference between the 2 numbers over 1 meal should ideally be only around 40 points (i.e. if you were 120 before meal, after meal number should be around 160). If it is more than that, re-evaluate what you just ate and see if there is something in that you should have modified. Also, my NUT just told me to concentrate on keeping my sugar grams less than 50 grams. (I actually have never been told that before from all the diabetes education I have had.) Another suggestion my endocrinologist gave me is walk / exercise 15 minutes before each meal. (Can't say that I do this, but thought I would throw it out there. :) ).

At the end of it all, I would agree with the others and suggest seeing an endocrinologist if you haven't. They are MUCH more educated in the area of diabetes than most PCP's. Maybe they can help you by adjusting meds to get you to a level acceptable for surgery. (OR - and I almost hate to say this, but have you considered discussing with a different surgeon? Seems like others have had surgeons that weren't quite a strict with the number. After all, many of us with diabetes are having the surgery in hopes of ridding ourselves of the diabetes.)

Best wishes! Again, so very sorry this is happening. Try not to let it derail you.

What type of sweetener is in your Protein Shake? Try diluting it with skim milk instead. Also it the dark green veg that pack the most nutritious punch. oatmeal can sometimes help as well. If you can start taking a 30 minute walk each day. Remember your surgeon is not trying to punish you. He's trying to ensure you have a positive surgery. Hang in there and fight to get the numbers down.

My a1c was over 11 when I decided to have the band. By surgery time 3 months it was down to 8. Surgery was May 28, a1c in August was 6.6

I was taken off my insulin pump and started lantus and metformin. Nov a1c was 8. Endocrinologist wasn't concerned due to the change from continuous insulin to oral meds and one shot of lantus. I go back end of April praying my a1c is lower. I send in blood sugars weekly to my end. I should range 100-130 before meals. Better sugar control means better healing at your incision site. A small delay but in the end it won't matter. Best wishes on your WL journey.